Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
sakishrist
sakishrist began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-book reader just for reading

Hello everyone!

I am really glad to join your community.

I am a bit confused over what e-book reader I should buy. The main problem is that I do not have much money to spend on such a device, I am really sorry to say that I can afford something about 60 euro (about 85 dollars I think).

One other thing is that I am in Bulgaria (Europe) and most of the items that initially fall into the above mentioned price range, end up much more expensive when the shipping cost is added.

Apart from that, I do not need any of the "cool stuff" that most (if not all) e-book readers come with. What I mean is, I do not need an mp3 player, a 4GB memory, a color display, wifi etc. What I need it to have is just a good enough display to be able to read from (not that I have ever had headaches by reading from my laptop screen, but I am a bit concerned about my eye's health), and a memory that can store about 10 books.

Thank you very, very much in advance!!!

Last edited by sakishrist; 07-27-2011 at 01:44 PM.
sakishrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome sakishrist!

The Ectaco jetBook family of eBook readers is popular in Ukraine. Perhaps that is relevant to your situation in Bulgaria. I can recommend my jetBook Lite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
sakishrist

Thanks a lot. That seems a very good choice. I have difficulty though, finding where to buy it from.

I also saw this site and the last one in the comparison looked nice too. I would be glad to have your opinion on it. But once again, I can not find where to buy it from.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
If you really are not budgeted for more than 85 dollars, just forget about importing anything. And forget about "not getting cool extra features". Most of them do NOT have cool features and they still cost like 1/3 of a cheap laptop/netbook. It's a mix of features. Nobody sells the 20 dollar ereader with NOTHING. They all have at least some cool thing. Sony has no wifi but has mp3. Kobo has no mp3 but has wifi. The first kobo has no mp3 and no wifi but it's hell to use, so even if your local tech shop has some used imported 1st gen kobo, don't waste your money on it. And if you read in bulgarian with cyrillic alphabet, you really should find a store where you can test a device to see if it can display the things you want to read.
Look for european distributors and manufacturers and look for used items at your local tech shops. You'll get about the same features (sometimes more) from russian and asian imports in the EU as you would from sony or any imported american brand (kindle/nook/kobo).

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
If your budget is that small, I would recommend saving some more money. It would be a shame to buy a cheap reader that ultimately might provide a bad experience.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
sakishrist

Thanks a lot! I think you are all right!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
you could have a look at Cybook Opus (bookeen.com) it is a great little basic reader. It is worth saving money for. I tried to estimate shipping cost to Bulgaria but they want postal code and I couldn't really provide it (tried a random one but then estimate is not good) Pity you don't have pixmania website in Bulgaria. One good thing to remember is that within European Union you won't pay taxes if you order from another EU country. Try Amazon.co.uk sometimes they have free shipping. Good luck and welcome to MR!

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bookeen-Cybo...883764&sr=8-38

they have it at amazon.co.uk as well as other ereaders. I cannot check for shipping to Bulgaria. Price is in £ 109 = 124 €. What I think though this is an older firmware version which needs update from bookeen site.

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 07-28-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
1) Save more money

2) Look as used. People upgrade to the newest models and sell their 1 year old ones for a substantial discount.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
If your budget is that small, I would recommend saving some more money. It would be a shame to buy a cheap reader that ultimately might provide a bad experience.
I agree with that statement.

I think that if you wait and save a bit, let's say 80 or 90 euros, that will give you the purchase power you need to buy a new device with better features.

Depending of the type of books that you need or are looking for, one of the previous Sony models could fit your bill. But again, you will have to save a bit in order to find a good one; Sony readers are expensive.

A used Kindle 3 would be another choice though. Those are international devices but check the Amazon store and see if you will find titles on your language. Kindle's strongest selling point is the online bookstore but you won't find too many books that were written on non Latin languages.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote