Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd never complained about the speed because I assumed it was the EInk limitation, and so there was no point in complaining.

Finding out that it's actually a processing speed limitation was a surprise.
I think all these devices are a compromise. A faster CPU means greater power consumption, leading to either shorter battery life, or a heavier device due to a larger battery. Look at the threads complaining about the Oasis' (which has a much more powerful dual-core CPU) battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think all these devices are a compromise. A faster CPU means greater power consumption, leading to either shorter battery life, or a heavier device due to a larger battery. Look at the threads complaining about the Oasis' (which has a much more powerful dual-core CPU) battery life.
In fairness, I believe the Oasis has a smaller battery as well so that one's problem is not just CPU.

At this point in time, I would think that there are processors with same power consumption while having faster performance than the one used in the Paperwhite.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #33
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Perhaps, but no Kindle has a backlight, of course, and frontlighting is no different to any other external light falling on the screen.
This is off topic from the OP’s question, but thanks for your comment! That sent me on a search to learn more - something I should have done earlier. So now I know the Paperwhite is sidelit, not backlit.

Concerns about sleep disruption are tied to blue light, which can interfere with melatonin production. The white light from the Kindle’s LEDs do include blue light. However, exposure is significantly less than from tvs & computer screens, etc.

Just how disruptive Kindles actually are was hard to pin down. I found lots of contradictory hearsay and few primary sources. I’ll keep looking, but in the meatime, thanks for setting me straight.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #34
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
This is off topic from the OP’s question, but thanks for your comment! That sent me on a search to learn more - something I should have done earlier. So now I know the Paperwhite is sidelit, not backlit.

Concerns about sleep disruption are tied to blue light, which can interfere with melatonin production. The white light from the Kindle’s LEDs do include blue light. However, exposure is significantly less than from tvs & computer screens, etc.

Just how disruptive Kindles actually are was hard to pin down. I found lots of contradictory hearsay and few primary sources. I’ll keep looking, but in the meatime, thanks for setting me straight.
Also, keep in mind that blue light exposure during the day is part of the equation as well. Getting outside and getting good blue light exposure during the day can mitigate some the impact of blue light exposure at night.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #35
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
Also, keep in mind that blue light exposure during the day is part of the equation as well. Getting outside and getting good blue light exposure during the day can mitigate some the impact of blue light exposure at night.
That’s interesting! Thanks - more to research
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #36
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
As someone that owned both the basic is crap and well worth getting the new Paperwhite. There is no light on the basic and it really bothered me. I could not see the screen. Even in sunlight, it was poor. Front light makes a HUGE difference
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
As someone that owned both the basic is crap ...
Only if you must have a front-lit screen. Otherwise the Basic is fine. Actually, until the PW4, the Basic had more built-in features than did the Paperwhite 3 and below (with the exception of front light and higher resolution screen). If you buy the Basic when it's on sale ($50) it's a good deal.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #38
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
As someone that owned both the basic is crap and well worth getting the new Paperwhite. There is no light on the basic and it really bothered me. I could not see the screen. Even in sunlight, it was poor. Front light makes a HUGE difference
I wouldn't say the basic is "crap". I recently got a Kindle (basic) 7th gen and was actually quite pleased with it. I didn't have much issue reading, and since I am usually reading outside or in a well-lit area the Paperwhite was not entirely necessary. HOWEVER, when I started reading at bedtime, I must admit that the lighted screen is much more of a pleasure to use... although I don't like the fact that you can't actually turn the Paperwhite screen all the way off (it is always on just a little), at least on the older versions. Despite this, I find that battery life is still very good.

Last edited by teija; 02-13-2019 at 02:57 AM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #39
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The lit screen looks kinda weird to me, I'll admit. But you can dim the light when not needed if you find the case. And in low light, "looks kinda weird but readable" is preferable to "unreadable". And as I understand it, the PW4 lets you completely disable the frontlight.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #40
madagascaradam
Enthusiast
madagascaradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
Maybe I'm late to bring up this thread again, and maybe my questions are slightly off-topic, but I hope not:

I have the original Kindle Paperwhite and have been reading on it for over 5 years now. I've loved it, read it several hours a day (usually), some days I read it for 10 hours or so. But, I've found the battery life has decreased significantly over the last few months, to the point now where I think it probably doesn't even last 6 hours total. That's a HUGE disappointment for me (as sometimes I read while on long 12-hour-plus journeys). Of course, I've also scuffed it up a bit and it's 100% full of books (meaning I have to delete older books every time I want to add newer books - which I don't appreciate). I'd keep using it though if it weren't for the battery life. Perhaps I used a higher-than-specified-amperage charger on it... would that have messed up my battery life that much without totally destroying it? Or is it just a lifetime thing and I've literally drained it and recharged it to the point where it can't hold as much charge any more?

SO, I'll be back in the US in a few months and I want to get the new paperwhite. My questions are:

* Can I still use "Collections Manager" on the new paperwhite? Mainly I like it for making nested collections. Will that still be possible?

* Can I use any of the other kindle hacks - particularly the kindle screensaver hack?

As far as I know, those are the main hacks I like to use, and the collections manager (for nested collections) is pretty much a requirement for me. If the new Kindle Paperwhite can't do that, what's the oldest paperwhite that can still do it? (And any idea where I could buy a new one of those so I don't have to worry about battery life in a used one?)

Thanks for your help! Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I've been searching a little and haven't yet found these answers anywhere else, and the FAQ for MobileReads doesn't even mention newer paperwhites at all (only up to PW2, I believe).

EDIT: I do generally look forward to upgrading though, because I like the idea of waterproof on the new PW, the higher resolution, and particularly the larger memory size. But the nested collections is really a requirement for me... so if I can't have that, maybe I'll figure out how to replace the battery on my current kindle?

Last edited by madagascaradam; 02-17-2019 at 09:47 AM.
madagascaradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascaradam View Post
I have the original Kindle Paperwhite and have been reading on it for over 5 years now. I've loved it, read it several hours a day (usually), some days I read it for 10 hours or so. But, I've found the battery life has decreased significantly over the last few months, to the point now where I think it probably doesn't even last 6 hours total. That's a HUGE disappointment for me (as sometimes I read while on long 12-hour-plus journeys). Of course, I've also scuffed it up a bit and it's 100% full of books (meaning I have to delete older books every time I want to add newer books - which I don't appreciate). I'd keep using it though if it weren't for the battery life. Perhaps I used a higher-than-specified-amperage charger on it... would that have messed up my battery life that much without totally destroying it? Or is it just a lifetime thing and I've literally drained it and recharged it to the point where it can't hold as much charge any more?
It's a lifetime thing. 3-5 years is the average lifespan of a lithium battery. There's absolutely no harm in using a high-amperage charger. The rating of the charger is the maximum current it can supply. The device itself determines how much current it actually draws.

Quote:
* Can I still use "Collections Manager" on the new paperwhite? Mainly I like it for making nested collections. Will that still be possible?

* Can I use any of the other kindle hacks - particularly the kindle screensaver hack?
Please ask these questions in the Kindle Developers' Forum, not here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #42
madagascaradam
Enthusiast
madagascaradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
Quote:
It's a lifetime thing. 3-5 years is the average lifespan of a lithium battery. There's absolutely no harm in using a high-amperage charger. The rating of the charger is the maximum current it can supply. The device itself determines how much current it actually draws.

Please ask these questions in the Kindle Developers' Forum, not here.
Thanks Harry! I've done more digging in the forums and found the "E book readers, Which one should I buy?" section is probably most appropriate for my current questions. So I made a new thread there.

I appreciate your response about the battery too! I figured it was a lifetime thing, as that's how I understood amperage (as long as you have voltage and minimum amperage correct). But lately I've had a JBL bluetooth speaker whose battery life has declined somewhat quickly as well (only having used it for about 2 1/2 years so far) so I wasn't sure. Ah well. Probably just a coincidence. I've been using that speaker more frequently lately anyway, including to the point of total depletion, so maybe it has a memory effect or some such.

Thanks though!
madagascaradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
... so maybe it has a memory effect or some such.
Just a note that the only batteries to ever exhibit a memory effect were nickel cadmium batteries on earth orbiting satellites.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Thanks Harry! I've done more digging in the forums and found the "E book readers, Which one should I buy?" section is probably most appropriate for my current questions. So I made a new thread there.

I appreciate your response about the battery too! I figured it was a lifetime thing, as that's how I understood amperage (as long as you have voltage and minimum amperage correct). But lately I've had a JBL bluetooth speaker whose battery life has declined somewhat quickly as well (only having used it for about 2 1/2 years so far) so I wasn't sure. Ah well. Probably just a coincidence. I've been using that speaker more frequently lately anyway, including to the point of total depletion, so maybe it has a memory effect or some such.

Thanks though!
As an FYI, it looks pretty easy to replace the batteries in a Paperwhite. You might consider that if you love your device. I only traded in kindles when they had another kind of failure such as failing wifi or power button.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As an FYI, it looks pretty easy to replace the batteries in a Paperwhite. You might consider that if you love your device. I only traded in kindles when they had another kind of failure such as failing wifi or power button.
I agree with Tarana here. If you still like your Paperwhite and have it set up the way you like, it might be easier to replace the battery than start from scratch. Unfortunately I don't know what the jailbreak status currently is with with more modern Paperwhites. Replacing the battery might be the easier option.

https://www.newpower99.com/Amazon_Ki...paperwhite.htm

It looks relatively easy. The battery might be cheaper elsewhere.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote