Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've had a couple of full spectrum lights, but didn't like being limited to one location, and they always seemed to cast a hot spot or create shadows on the page. I do like them for hand sewing etc. My eyes are really sensitive to non-diffused light, partly from a neurological issue I have.

The evenness of the front-lit screens really works well for me.
That's why I often qualify my suggestions. If you have vision problems, you have much more specific requirements than someone who has none. I have issues myself, but I remember what it was like before I started losing vision!
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I love my paperwhites, and I would definitely agree they are a better investment, if you can afford it. But I still use the older 1st generation kindle touch, for reading in bed every night. (Backlit screen lights supposedly intrupt our sleep cycles.)

The older model works just fine, though it does have a book cover with a built in light. If I’m interested in the book, I’m not at all distracted by the lower quality screen. And the new basic model you’re considering would be a step up in screen quality, weight, etc, from my kindle touch. So you can get some great reading in, whichever way you go. Good luck with your decision!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you always read in a well-lit room or outside, the basic Kindle is a good choice. The lack of any layer in front of the E-Ink screen makes it nicer, IMO, even though it's only 167ppi.
The one reader I brought with me in my bag when I moved to Boise, was the Kindle Basic. (Other readers will follow, some in the mail, some when I go get our stuff in the spring.) I tend to like whatever reader I'm using at the time but, with the ability to add my own fonts, the Kindle Basic is a very nice reader. Front lighting is nice in dim light, but it's a different experience than reading an unlit screen. If I have enough light, I prefer no front light.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I love my paperwhites, and I would definitely agree they are a better investment, if you can afford it. But I still use the older 1st generation kindle touch, for reading in bed every night. (Backlit screen lights supposedly intrupt our sleep cycles.)
Perhaps, but no Kindle has a backlight, of course, and frontlighting is no different to any other external light falling on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I managed to leave my Kindle at home when on holiday last year, and I bought a basic Kindle at the airport. I must admit that I was pleased with it.
I got to the airport and sat down to read while waiting, and realized that I hadn't loaded the book I was going to read to this Kindle Basic. Then realized I could use my Blackberry Q10's hotspot feature to download the book. Worked great. Technology is sometimes kind of cool.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps, but no Kindle has a backlight, of course, and frontlighting is no different to any other external light falling on the screen.
It looks completely different — at least to my eyes. To me a non-front-lit reader has sharper fonts and (without the light layer) a screen with better contrast. Front-lit readers are very nice in dim light or in the dark, but (for me) non-front-lit readers are superior in good lighting. I understand it's personal taste, but it's what I see.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I bought my paperwhite when I moved to a house with poor lighting. I still haven't changed the previous owner's silly lighting fixtures. At my former house, the lighting was great and I used my unlit Sony prs 505 for years.
If the OP's budget is really tight, maybe go for the Basic, but if the OP can stretch to it, the paperwhite is great incase you find yourself staying somewhere with poor lighting, or have a partner next to you.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #23
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Personally, I can't read on a non-front-lit Kindle. I read in cafes, inside my room, at night... and even turning on the house light doesn't give me a good enough reading experience. It was a nightmare for me to try to read on it. (But I also keep my Paperwhite up to 8-12 when reading in the dark, which many people think is too bright).
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankh View Post
I used to read a huge amount a few years ago, but the ease of just throwing up a youtube video on my phone before bed resulted in me not reading nearly as much as I used to. I'm looking to get a kindle get back into reading, but I'm not sure whether the paperwhite is worth the extra for me. I would always be reading with lights on, or in daylight, so I'm not sure that I would use the backlight very often. I don't need the waterproofing, and I kind of prefer the smaller footprint of the basic kindle. I am on a bit of a budget, so is there any reason why I should be getting the paperwhite over the basic version?
As stated above, the paperwhite is clearly better but how much better is (ahem) in the eye of the beholder. Your personal use case should guide you. If the price differential is significant you'll do fine with the basic. Otherwise the extra Paperwhite features add up to a more flexible and pleasing gadget.

If price is a factor do remember that Amazon runs regular sales before major holidays such as Valentine's day and Mother's Day. (Or even for no specific reason.) If you can wait you can get the Paperwhite for close to the regular price of the Basic or the Basic at an even lower price than normal.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Right now we're talking a $20 difference. At regular price it's a $50 difference. Our opinion is being solicited but here's a URL of the OPs preferred sources.
https://youtu.be/RaCFj0-jrOw
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's interesting that the entry level kindle is faster on page turns and image zooms.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's interesting that the entry level kindle is faster on page turns and image zooms.
Probably due to the fact that it has a much lower-resolution screen, hence less data to move around.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Probably due to the fact that it has a much lower-resolution screen, hence less data to move around.
Well, yes, but in that case Amazon should have beefed up its processing power. Making the screen refresh slower than it is forced to be by the EInk screen seems foolish to me.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, yes, but in that case Amazon should have beefed up its processing power. Making the screen refresh slower than it is forced to be by the EInk screen seems foolish to me.
It seems acceptably fast to me. I don't recall anyone complaining about the speed of page turns.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
It seems acceptably fast to me. I don't recall anyone complaining about the speed of page turns.
I'd never complained about the speed because I assumed it was the EInk limitation, and so there was no point in complaining.

Finding out that it's actually a processing speed limitation was a surprise.