Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Connection problems on Windows, no problems on Linux LiveUSB

Hi all,

For the past couple of years I've had trouble connecting my Kobo Glo HD e-reader to my computer but was able to sideload my books through Calibre Webserver. Sometimes I could connect my Kobo and most of the other times I couldn't. I have tried various solutions: a total of 5 USB cables, been through all of my computer's ports and cannot find anything that works anymore except for an old computer at my parent's that's still running Windows 7 or when I boot my computer to a Linux LiveCD/USB. When I boot to Linux, the e-reader connects without any hassle, on all of my cables and all of my ports, but when I'm in windows 10, the device gets recognized initially although the drive is not yet accessible, windows explorer runs slowly and eventually the e-reader disappears from explorer. USBDeview reports that it had failed to reset it's port.

What else can I try?

I've tried:
- W10 desktop and W10 laptop: 5 USB cables, all ports (7*5 + 3*5=50 combinations) and none of them keep working
- W7 desktop or my W10 Desktop/laptop running Ubuntu/Lubuntu, but my Calibre will be read-only then so not a long term solution

Kind regards,
vM7

Edit: Went into Device Manager, uninstalled all USB devices. This cleared up most entries in USBdeview. Reboot. E-reader took a long time but eventually worked. Almost seems like after a few problems computers just give up on e-readers or something. Will update when I get problems again (as I probably will).

Edit2: After reconnecting, problem returned. Same errors. Within USBdeview: disable, then enable and device came back online. Can't put my finger on what's making this connection so tricky. Can't be hardware as Linux on the same devices show no problems whatsoever and seems to be fixed temporarily by resetting the USB connection from Devmgmt.

Last edited by vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK; 02-20-2019 at 03:42 PM.
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I don't think this is a Windows issue, as it happens to me on Linux too. Have you tried using a USB hub?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If you've got enough room on your computer's hard drive, you might want to install Linux to dual boot, then make Windows your default boot choice. Once that's done you can backup up your Calibre from the Windows' side, then install Calibre on the Linux side and restore from your Windows' side backup. I have the opposite setup. I normally use Linux but (occasionally) boot into the Windows' partition to use ADE. It's not the best solution, but it might help.

OR: Sometimes if you hook your USB cable to one of the back USB ports (the ones that come directly off the motherboard) they'll have just a little more voltage than the ones that are mounted on the front of the computer and will work with the Kobo.

OR: (as geek101 mention) sometimes a powered USB hub will fix this issue on several different computers.

Good luck. I hardly ever have trouble connecting to my eReaders using Linux Mint. I get the idea it's a more "direct" connection.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for your responses! I'll keep the powered USB hub in mind. I've had no luck with the USB ports on the back of the PC but I've been using those with relatively long USB cables so it might still be a (lack of) power issue. I could try to move my calibre library off of my SSD and onto one of my HDDs, which might result in a rw-able library (shutting down my computer turns out to be actually some form of hibernation when fast boot is enabled)

I've got some new angles to work with and hopefully these will be my last. Thank you!
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are these USB 2 or USB 3 ports? We've seem many times issues with Kobo and USB 3 ports, an issue that normally gets resolved by plugging an USB 2 hub into one of the USB 3 ports.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
akr56
akr56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Same issues, Kobo has replaced the Aura once and wants to do it again. The replacement has the same problem. Unable to connect to my windows 10 pc. Ive tried everything, hubs, cables, different ports, reinstalling usb drivers etc. 4 different pc's 3 running win 10 and 1 win 7, nothing. However I do have a 2006 32 bit win 7 laptop that does connect. No idea why...
I'll be watching this thread for updates...
akr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK View Post
I could try to move my calibre library off of my SSD and onto one of my HDDs, which might result in a rw-able library (shutting down my computer turns out to be actually some form of hibernation when fast boot is enabled)
About your library being read-only, sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdx# should fix it. You can figure out the x# with the proper disk letter and number.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #8
trampas
trampas began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
I have had problems connecting my PC USB3 port to a Kobo H2O2. Tried with a USB hub with mixed success. I recently got a Keweisi USB Tester dongle that displays voltage/amps and connecting via this has been succesful every time ... so far.
trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #9
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Neither of my Kobos (Aura HD and Clara HD) will connect if they are plugged into USB ports on my motherboard, which are all USB3. However, both my monitors are also USB hubs, and I can connect either Kobo without any problem if I connect them to one of the monitors, which are in turn connected back to the motherboard.

p.s. I should add that the PC is dual boot Windows/Linux, and the problem (and solution) is the same regardless of which OS is running.

Last edited by Nick Payne; 03-22-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #10
trampas
trampas began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Good call! I have just tried using the USB port on my old Dell keyboard and the Kobo connection worked fine. Just did a test with Calibre and a large book and no problems. Thanks for that.
trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #11
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
You can reset your USB with devcon:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeAr...Z000000P7bZSAS

That worked perfect for me.
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenRunciter View Post
You can reset your USB with devcon:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeAr...Z000000P7bZSAS

That worked perfect for me.
And you can do the same thing on Linux through the usb bind/unbind in sysfs (but remember to type both commands to run after each other), but it resets all USB ports on the same bus, which can be an issue when you're using stuff on the other ports.