Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
Bricked Kobo Aura, Help Please.

Hi.
I bought an Kobo Aura last Sat and bricked 2 days later. I tried to transfer all (3000) books directly to it after registering first of course. It got to 32% loading and stopped/ Did the paper clip thing and nothing happened. Held the off button for a while and the Aura loaded onto its opening page. But nothing happens when I try to move around (The page is frozen)
Please what else can I do.
Thanks.
Ron
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
First things first: have you tried plugging it in (preferably to a wall power source, not just a USB) for a couple of hours? In case you're new to e-ink, the screens keep displaying on them last when they run out of power. Processing 3,000 books could have used it up on you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Hi Robko,
I plugged the Aura into the wall charger and it simply flashed for a while and then re-froze as before. I have searched for an answer but cannot find an answer.
Regards.
Ron
Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
Hi Robko,
I plugged the Aura into the wall charger and it simply flashed for a while and then re-froze as before. I have searched for an answer but cannot find an answer.
Regards.
Ron
Remove almost all your books from it, and try restarting it.

Once it is processing books correctly, start adding the books back on, in chunks.

Hitting it with 3000 books out of the gate may be too much for it. And there may be specific books that are causing a problem (this has been noted here before).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
moofychops
Connoisseur

Hi Murg,
The screen is frozen and responds to nothing you do The paper clip method simply refreshes the frozen screen again. It will not connect to a computer. I think I will try and get an exchange from the shop.
Thank you all for your ideas.
Regards.
Ron
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Did you try doing a factory reset? I don't know which buttons you push on the Aura, but the Glo has a way to do it with just the hardware buttons for exactly times like you're experiencing when you're completely unable to do anything through the reader interface. The Aura must also have a button combination to do the same thing.

Edit: I found this at the Kobo site, seems the process is exactly the same. Try doing the steps here. Just make sure the reader is really off, usually accomplished by holding the off switch for about 20 seconds. When my Kobo Glo was completely locked up, that did work to get the unit to turn off so I could then do the manual steps to factory reset it.

Taken from:
https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...hd-or-kobo-glo

Performing a manual factory reset

If a basic reset and a factory reset don't work, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours.

If possible, turn off your eReader.
Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try holding the power button to the right until you see Powered off on your screen.
Press and hold the light button.
While holding the light button, slide the power button to the right several times to turn on your eReader.
Continue holding the light button and wait until the power light blinks rapidly.
Let go of the light button.
You'll see a Restoring message on the screen.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-13-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
moofychops
Connoisseur

Riplinger,
You are a star my friend. It all worked 100%. Thank you so much. I will print out this page to keep for future reference.
Thank you again.
Ron
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Just add fewer books at a time now as already suggested, I suspect there's a badly formatted book in the bunch that the reader is choking on. If you do it in smaller groups of books, you can pin down which group it happened in at least to then pinpoint which book (or books) is the problem.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-14-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote