Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #346
Shri
Shri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi,
I am new to the party of e-readers and not able to utilize the options available.

I have tried both Method 1 and 2 but unable to download the book to my PC.
I dont own the kindle device and directly trying to purchase the book from kindle store and want it to convert into readable format on KOBO AURA ONE which I am planning to buy in next day or 2.

Please help me with steps to resolve the error.

Regards,
Shri
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	161749  
Shri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #347
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It may be that the book you're trying to download is only available in KFX format. What language is it in?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #348
Shri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It may be that the book you're trying to download is only available in KFX format. What language is it in?

The language is Marathi. Not sure if its available in ONLY KFX format.
Is there any way to convert it if its only available in KFX format?

I am really looking forward to buy Kobo but if there isnt any way then I have to buy kindle as books I am looking to read are only available in kindle store.

Thanks in advance for help.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #349
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is some code archived at Apprentice Harper's github repository that's a stand-alone Windows KFX DRM remover. I can't remember if it's easy to use or not.

If it works, then jhowell's KFX import plugin will also be needed before you can convert to ePub.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #350
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shri View Post
The language is Marathi. Not sure if its available in ONLY KFX format.
Is there any way to convert it if its only available in KFX format?
Books in Indic languages, such as Marathi, are only available from Amazon in KFX format. As pdurrant stated above, if you want to convert that book for use outside of Amazon's apps and devices then you will need to use the KFX Input plugin. (This is listed as Method 4 in the first post of this thread.)

You will need to undo the change made in Method 2 and restart Kindle for PC. It will then allow your Marathi book to be downloaded. The procedure for using the KFX Input plugin for conversion is somewhat complicated. You will have to decide whether or not having access to that book is worth the trouble involved. See the instructions for that plugin for more information.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #351
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I didn't realise that some books are only available in KFX format. I note that it was mentioned that books in Indic languages are only available in KFX format. Are there any languages that are only available in KFX format? And are there any other types of books from the Amazon store that only have KFX format? I know how you can tell if a book has KFX (Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled) but is there a way to tell if that book only has KFX available?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #352
Shri

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I will try my luck with converting the KFX format but not sure if there is any easy way.

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #353
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Are there any languages that are only available in KFX format? And are there any other types of books from the Amazon store that only have KFX format?
Amazon has been rolling out many new features in KFX format for some time now. In most cases there is a fallback to an older format with fewer features. Kindle in Motion and enhanced textbooks (with audio and video) both provide significantly more content in the KFX format than other formats.

Indic language books are different in that there is no fallback format. It is KFX or nothing. It appears that Arabic language books, currently being rolled out and not yet available on Kindle for PC, will also have this restriction. Some upcoming e-book features, such as MathML (supported in the latest Kindle Previewer), may possibly be KFX-only.

Quote:
I know how you can tell if a book has KFX (Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled) but is there a way to tell if that book only has KFX available?
I don't know of any way to tell for certain, but you can sometimes tell by looking at the list of supported devices for the book you intend to purchase. If the "Available on these devices" popup shows newer Kindles and apps, but no older devices such as Kindle (5th Generation), Kindle Keyboard, and Kindle DX, that book may be a KFX-only book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KFX Hindi.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	161774   Click image for larger version

Name:	KFX Arabic.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	161775  
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #354
ratonsurfeur
ratonsurfeur began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you Jhowell! Method 1 worked for me. Thanks.
I am blind, and it's only on Kindle that I found some of the bokks I wish to read; even Bookshare hasn't some of them due to intellectual property laws.
I convert Kindle books to EPUB which ables me to read them in the VoiceDreamReader application.
Your work si very important to let blind and dyslexic people access books.
Best regards.
ratonsurfeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #355
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Thanks jhowell for the clarification.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #356
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks jhowell for the clarification.

Inukami
There are very, VERY few books in English that aren't available in Mobi/KF8 format, Inukami. In addition to the KFX-only books that jhowell mentions, another group are books that are in "Print Replica" format (a PDF file in a Kindle "wrapper"). These tend to be reference-type books. The two Print Replica books I have personally are the "New Oxford Shakespeare" and the "New Oxford Annotated Bible", both of which I deliberately bought because they were in Print Replica format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #357
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
just want to add my huge thanks for this thread...

On my macbook, the chmod terminal command worked a treat - and I do not remember ever updating my Kindle on the mac (precisely to avoid the kfx farrago), and had the 'do not update' option checked'.. I call shenanigans.

Love my Oasis bit I deliberately avoid kfx so i can get the azw3 version, convert to epub then back to azw3 with ChareInk font embedded.

Sounds like a bit of a faff? Not if you've experienced how superior ChareInk (from this wonderful site) is to Amazon's latest and not so greatest 'Bookerly'... ( and with hyphenation added and all done in the marvellous and splendiferous Calibre).
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #358
wally_k
wally_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi, touch, aura
Using 1.17 doesn't import any metadata. Is there a way in Calibre to do this?

Tnx
wally_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #359
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm using K4PC and I'm certainly getting the metadata that's in the book. Are you not getting any metadata at all? No title or author?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #360
roustabout
roustabout began at the beginning.

Device: nook ST, onyx t68
kindle for windows date locked?

I skimmed the thread and didn't see anyone mention problems getting the old Windows kindle executables to run, so I thought I'd share what I'm seeing. It looks like Amazon's forcibly sunsetting them?

Last night I tried to launch the Kindle app on Win 7 for the first time in a long time.

I was unable to get it to run, so I reinstalled it. Still no go - open the app, it doesn't run, doesn't crash, never displays a splash screen.

I tried installing from 1.1 and 1.7 installers I had archived. Then I downloaded a current installer, and the app ran just fine (and generated an AZW file which Calibre is unable to work with.)

This afternoon, I spun up a Win XP virtual machine and tried installing one of the old installers - installs, but no splash screen. I set the date back a few years and now the program runs.

It cannot sync to my Amazon account, but it does run. set the date to the current date, and now the program won't run. If I launch the program in "2012", then set the system clock to now, the sync fails. It looks to me as if Amazon is blocking the old apps from spawning their GUI if the date is later than X, and blocking the old apps from syncing.

I threw up my hands and ordered a used Kindle online so I can try the download for USB option. Ten bucks for a 2014 vintage kindle at Walmart, and another 7 for relatively fast shipping.

Then I read more carefully and realized the AZW file I had was probably the new format but with the old extension, used method 2 to rename the renderer and freed my title.

I'll let the Kindle come in anyhow. I like having that option for when I'm on a computer that doesn't have Kindle installed.
roustabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc