Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #61
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yeah, I still fondly remember my C64. I have an emulator for it on my Mac now.

Any email client can be used to bottom-post instead of top-posting, and if everyone in an organization does it that way, the posts stay in order. It would help if the client would scroll to the bottom of the window automatically. But top-posting on email is the most common convention (probably followed by inter-posting).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #62
zeigerpuppy
zeigerpuppy began at the beginning.

Device: zaurus SL-3100, maybe Iliad soon, still looking
Interesting thread.

The best thing I ever did was to go for open systems, I have used (and abused) most OSs out there and I certainly would recommend that anyone who is dissatisfied takes a little time to learn to use linux, the fantastic thing about it is that you can use the same OS on just about every device.

I daily use:
- a Zaurus PDA - debian... definately the most powerful pocketable device
- run 3 servers - all debian, no reinstall for 5 years at last count.
- a Dual G5 Mac - OS X and fink for linux programs... just nice hardware and display
- windows at work (with putty, VNC and cygwin!)... windows really is like a whining pain in the arse compared to the others, it breaks just looking at it.

The great thing is that they all inter-operate and because I keep my data on web-applications, I don't have to endlessly synchronise data and install programs.
I love remote X windows and VNC, allows me to use my hardware together and get the most out of it.

I am thinking an Iliad may be the next device - need a light screen of a reasonable size on the go. laptops just aren't portable in my opinion... having to always be close to a power-point and not being able to read most of them in sunlight. but the Fujitsu T2010 almost has me sold as a portable device with 8hrs + battery life.

Apple is doing some great things with user interfaces, but I agree with other posters that Amiga really had the most usuable operating system of any computer I have used... it even didn't seem to matter that it crashed so much 'cos it took about 10 seconds to boot (A4000-040 with cybergraphics if that means anything to anyone!)
zeigerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I actually wasn't trying to make a point, I was honestly trying to understand.

Yes I was and am skeptical, but I was prepared to be impressed too find my skepticism misplaced. Guess I'll have to consider the jury still out on that one for now.
On Usenet, bottom-posting is THE standard, and you will get flamed big-time for top-posting. It's one of the "cardinal sins".

I agree with you, though, that on most corporate e-mail system, top-posting is the norm. At work we use Outlook and Exchange, and that automatically top-posts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote