Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fair enough - thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #32
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would have to say that while the Oasis 2 occasionally takes you back on page when you reopen the cover, and it is annoying, I would be far more annoyed with an accidental skipped page forward. I like to read the sentences in my books in the order they were intended to be read.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #33
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And my review of the Oasis 2:

I LOVE IT AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT
Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
I would have to say that while the Oasis 2 occasionally takes you back on page when you reopen the cover, and it is annoying, I would be far more annoyed with an accidental skipped page forward. I like to read the sentences in my books in the order they were intended to be read.
It probably does that when you close the cover rather than opening, since it isn't awake yet when you open and closing is more likely to press a button. If you ever decide to reverse the sense of the buttons it will likely sometimes take you forward a page.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #35
seanyyz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If you ever decide to reverse the sense of the buttons it will likely sometimes take you forward a page.
Good point. I had not thought of that. With kindle oasis 1 i had reversed the bottoms but i will not do it with this one since it seems to be much more likely to jump a page than the previous one.

If I have not looked at a book in a day I actually don't mind going back a page to reacquaint me with where I am. Sometimes I do it on purpose.
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #36
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
If there was a Voyage with a larger screen I'd jump onto that model in a heartbeat.
This plus a 32GB version and for me it would be my ideal/dream eReader.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #37
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I don't like the metallic back. It feels cold, it's too tough to actually pry the screen out of the device (if you ever need a battery swap), and it's made too strong if you're going to combine it with a cover, that also covers the back of the Oasis (so you're basically having 2 covers).
The metallic back also weighs a bit more than a pure plastic one.

The battery.. yes.. Is a major con. They could have extended some of the protrusion in the back a little more, to add more room for more battery life.
For a device like this, 1500mAh is good enough.

Remember it's not only an ebook reader, but also a device that reads audio books, connects to wifi, has sort of a browser, a touch screen and light. All these things suck a lot more battery than a standard ebook reader without them.

The screen size is good for books, but the resolution could easily be halved and still look good!
It's not a con, it just needs more CPU cycles, to display a screen of text.
Images do look better on them!

The resolution is fine enough to see PDFs; but the screen size is too small to read lettertype/A4 PDFs comfortably.

I'm glad amazon listened, and you can actually turn OFF the screen light.
I also love the Night mode reading!
Funny thing is, night mode reading should be used in full day light on an e-ink screen.
It'll help not burn your eyes when reading outside.
While regular viewing is best for night reading.
On an LCD, the reverse is true.
Night mode on an LCD (white text on a dark background), reads best at night, or in the dark. It protects your eyes from getting too much screen light in, and headaches as a result; while reading night mode on an LCD screen in full daylight, is going to make the screen harder to read.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #38
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
One other minor thing I have noticed is the clock. I've gone about a month since I last connected to Wi-Fi and set it but it is now more than twenty minutes off! I can't recall the last electronic device I've had with this poor of a clock.
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #39
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

In the settings you can set the time or have it set automatically. I think the auto setting uses wifi when you connect. Check your settings.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #40
LoganW
Enthusiast

I don't know if that is an option, but if you find it you can let me know. Regardless, it shouldn't matter in my opinion.
I did set the time manually a month ago. Wifi has been off since then. Time is now 24 minutes out of sync.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganW View Post
I don't know if that is an option, but if you find it you can let me know. Regardless, it shouldn't matter in my opinion.
I did set the time manually a month ago. Wifi has been off since then. Time is now 24 minutes out of sync.
The accuracy of clock chips seems to vary wildly from individual device to device. My Oasis 2 has been in aeroplane mode for more than 2 months now, and the clock is 3 minutes out.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #42
LoganW
Enthusiast

That's still surprisingly bad, in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganW View Post
That's still surprisingly bad, in my opinion.
Compared to digital watches, I agree, but accurate clocks don't seem to be a priority in devices of this nature, and I'm talking about all readers, not Amazon in particular. This particular device is definitely one of the more accurate ones I've owned.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #44
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Compared to digital watches, I agree, but accurate clocks don't seem to be a priority in devices of this nature, and I'm talking about all readers, not Amazon in particular. This particular device is definitely one of the more accurate ones I've owned.
Even for digital watches it is easier to just get a solar powered radio controlled watch. That is what I have and haven't looked back.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #45
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

I checked it before I wrote my post. It is an option.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote