Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What improvments would you like to see for the Glowlight 3?
Increase visual readability of Links/Dictionary 7 87.50%
Display Chapter page information while reading 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I didn't select either poll option. Don't understand the first...
long touch on any word to bring up the dictionary. Instead of black text, it is gray. It doesn't bother me, but it does bother some users.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An interesting statement. What do you find nicer looking about the GL 3 screen? Personally, I prefer the extra screen area of the KA1. Both devices have the same generation 300 DPI eInk screens and both offer colour changing illumination. There is the capacitive vs. IR touchscreen debate where I must admit that having compared several ereaders, I can see little if any difference between the display using either technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen the Kindle PW3 and the Kindle Voyage. I would not say either has a better screen than the H2O. So how can the nG3 screen be better than the KA1 screen? I don't get how.
Basically, the capacitive layer on the Kobo reduces the sharpness of the fonts. I'll try and post a photo later, but it's difficult to get a good comparison shot. I also prefer the temperature of the comfort light, which tends to make the screen look like real paper and is easier on the eyes than the red of the KA1.

Believe me, I wish the KA1's screen was as good. The software is much better, and I enjoy the larger screen.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Basically, the capacitive layer on the Kobo reduces the sharpness of the fonts. I'll try and post a photo later, but it's difficult to get a good comparison shot. I also prefer the temperature of the comfort light, which tends to make the screen look like real paper and is easier on the eyes than the red of the KA1.

Believe me, I wish the KA1's screen was as good. The software is much better, and I enjoy the larger screen.
For what it's worth, I did some photographs of the KA1, Glo HD, H2O, Voyage and Oasis 1 screens using Bookerly with the font sizes matching as near as possible using a Nikon DSLR with the 85mm DX MicroNikor lens at 1:1 (borrowed the lens and Kaiser copy stand from the animation area). Oddly, the oft-mentioned difference in sharpness between capacitive and IR touchscreens didn't seem to manifest in my photographs. At times, I wonder if it just my eyes or is this the ereader version of the "Golden Ears" crowd.

As for the colour? That is what the slider is for. My KA1 goes reddish at right end of the slider giving what I term the candelit effect. For most of the slider range, the effect is not "reddish".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, on the boards, I keep hearing about the bezels. And yeah, in pictures they are big honkers. But I own a GL3 and in person they never bother me. Even when it sits next to my Aura, which is a compact device.

I wish the Nook had a bunch of software improvements. But I have no complaints about the hardware.
Yes, the bezel is big on the nG3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #35
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
For me, the nook is better than Kobo because the navigation options for the Kobo are so limited. It has no buttons, and I hate swiping, and I can only turn pages by tapping the right side of the screen. The left side of the screen is devoted to previous page, which I rarely use. So if I change hands, the whole arrangement is very awkward. Despite Kobo's customization options, I am unable to alter this over-limited functionality.

In comparison, the Nook has buttons on both sides. Plus because it is open Android, I can add any number of third-party reading apps with highly advanced navigation options.

The Kobo is really primitive and undeveloped in this regard. There is no excuse for it. Even open-source and small-time reading apps offer better navigation options than Kobo. Kobo should fix this.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
For me, the nook is better than Kobo because the navigation options for the Kobo are so limited. It has no buttons, and I hate swiping, and I can only turn pages by tapping the right side of the screen. The left side of the screen is devoted to previous page, which I rarely use. So if I change hands, the whole arrangement is very awkward. Despite Kobo's customization options, I am unable to alter this over-limited functionality.

In comparison, the Nook has buttons on both sides. Plus because it is open Android, I can add any number of third-party reading apps with highly advanced navigation options.

The Kobo is really primitive and undeveloped in this regard. There is no excuse for it. Even open-source and small-time reading apps offer better navigation options than Kobo. Kobo should fix this.
Maybe I'm mis-understanding you, but the current Kobos have multiple tap zone options for changing pages, one of which is tap on the left side to advance a page. And I believe it has been this way for quite a while (at least 7 years.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #37
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
dictionary- please give us a darker font- the current font is far too pale to read easily; swipe as well as touch to move to next page of a definition (book list and setting list have it; the NST has it)(in fact, I really like the way the dictionary is presented in a little roundy-edged frame on the NST)

why is there so much flashing when navigating the device (such as going to the home page or settings, looking at and returning from full dictionary pages)? so much flashing...

personally, i like the book title showing at the top of the page. don't change that. giving people an option is okay, though

current read icon-please return to top left, thank you

and while I'm asking, the ability to use my own photos as screensavers (using the current book cover looks interesting as well)
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, the bezel is big on the nG3.
Well, now that you said it, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

Thank you for adding so much to the conversation.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

As John said, in the Kobo settings there are several options for different touch zones being used to change the page.

Mine is set so the entire bottom of the screen is page forward, the entire top is page back and the center brings up options. So you can page forward with either hand.

It's fairly close to how I had my Nook set (bottom button on either side was page forward, top button was page back).
Old 01-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #40
PatS12
PatS12 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
1) I'd like the software guys to FIX whatever causes my custom shelves to just disappear!

2) Add option to add the book to a custom shelf from the book. (Finding the new book by paging through all your books is untenable when you have more than a few books)

3) Use personal pix for screen savers. Should be a snap to add as it worked in the NST.

THANKS!
PatS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, now that you said it, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

Thank you for adding so much to the conversation.
I have a nook STR and it's a very similar bezel size and given that the bezel on the nook STR is big, there's no way the nG3's bezel cannot also be big.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I have a nook STR and it's a very similar bezel size and given that the bezel on the nook STR is big, there's no way the nG3's bezel cannot also be big.
I like big bezels and I cannot lie.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #43
tropicallie
tropicallie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony600,650,350 T1,NookSTR,GL3,S2TAB,Kobo Mini,KinVoyage
Most of what I side load are library books. I liked the way the Sony T1 allowed you to go to your library site, select and download the library book directly from the browser. Easy peasy. This of course would require a browser. ahem. Other than that, I have no complaints about the GL3. Also, maybe we need a thread about the things we DON'T want the engineers to change.
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #44
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
n

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe I'm mis-understanding you, but the current Kobos have multiple tap zone options for changing pages, one of which is tap on the left side to advance a page. And I believe it has been this way for quite a while (at least 7 years.)
I will refer you to another thread which I believe entirely explains my position. I will add that non-button Kindle's share this IMO fault.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=266260

Quote:
I have a problem. I like to turn pages by tapping. However, when I hold the Kobo (an Aura HD) with my left hand, I have to reach across to the right side of the screen to turn to the next page. Very awkward.

Ideally I would like to be able to turn to the next page by tapping anywhere on the screen, and turning back to the previous page by a back swipe.
On Android devices, I set all the tap-zones on the screen (except the middle) to do a next page. If I want to do a back page, I swipe. This layout is entirely ambidextrous and I can turn a page easily no matter where I hold the device (top, bottom, left, right). In addition, in many Android reading apps, any range of tap-zone customizations are possible.

Nook gets round this by having buttons on both sides. In addition I can add Android reading apps which allow me to customize navigation.

I apologize for attacking the Kobo devices. My post was a response to J S Wolf who has repeatedly bashed the Nook and promoted Kobo. He offers very little of value to the discussion and has often misinformed people seeking advice, particularly re: Android devices about which (and everything else) he knows very little and fancies himself something of an expert.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

BTW, GL3 = General License 3. Nothing to do with the nG3.