Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #36076
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So, the rule is to try the drug at home to make sure it works, before the day of the trip. I've seen a lot of differing reports on Xanax & cats - some say it's the best choice for travel, others report aggressive reactions and behavioral changes. YMMV. You can never predict how cats will react.
If I could get her to smoke some pot, then the only problem we'd have during the trip is supplying her with munchies and listening to her giggle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Ordering knives. I'm getting the Victorinox SwissChamp in black for myself, plus a bottle of oil,
Can I make a strange sounding suggestion? Instead of oil, use water mixed with a few drops of dishwashing soap. (Assuming the stones you will use are new and have not been oiled before.) You'll find the sharpening will progress MUCH faster, and the clean-up afterwards just a 20 second process.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #36077
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Can I make a strange sounding suggestion? Instead of oil, use water mixed with a few drops of dishwashing soap. (Assuming the stones you will use are new and have not been oiled before.) You'll find the sharpening will progress MUCH faster, and the clean-up afterwards just a 20 second process.

Stitchawl
The oil is not for sharpening but to keep it clean and for the opening and closing mechanism as is advised on the Victorinox website. For sharpening my father uses a stone with a bit of water, I've never seen him use dishwashing soap. I really need to learn how to sharpen my knives myself from now on.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 05-27-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #36078
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
The oil is not for sharpening but to keep it clean and for the opening and closing mechanism as is advised on the Victorinox website. For sharpening my father uses a stone with a bit of water, I've never seen him use dishwashing soap. I really need to learn how to sharpen my knives myself from now on.
The use of oil or water is to 'float' the swarf (the tiny bits of metal) up and keep them from clogging up the stone. By adding a few drops of dish soap, it reduces the surface tension of the liquid, allowing it to flow under the smallest bits of metal, keeping the stone's abrasive edges clear to work on the blade. Makes the sharpening go much more quickly.

As for 'how to sharpen,' here is a link to some very good advice. That, plus a couple of YouTube videos such as this and this, you'll be able to get a perfect edge on your knife in just a few minutes.

Stitchawl
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #36079
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I managed to celebrate my Memorial Day holiday by spraining both ankles ... fortunately only slightly ... but I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and limp back to work. I'm making up a story about a jet ski mishap or a parachute jump gone bad .....

[sounds lots better than stepping into a concealed hole in your own lawn, and then sliding off a curb at the drugstore]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #36080
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I agree about the parachute jump, and I'll back you up on it being as how I jumped from the plane with you.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #36081
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It's a beautiful day and the wife cut the grass while I was sleeping, so I guess I'll get back to giving Crystal a haircut. I'm really no good at it. Poor dog is starting to look like she has the mange.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #36082
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I agree about the parachute jump, and I'll back you up on it being as how I jumped from the plane with you.
And I'll spread the word you have a dog just like the Obama's dog - and her coat is supposed to look like it does
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #36083
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

So sorry pooh. I agree with Tom that the parachuting one sounds good and you can add that I was there, but chickened-out (*cough, cough*) and couldn't jump.

I'm trying to enjoy my holiday off, but the weather is not cooperating. It is cold, windy, and lots of cloud cover. I really need to do some planting, but wearing a jacket is not very comfortable for working in the soil and moving around with the leaky water hose. Plus the wind keeps blowing stuff away and knocking over my pots and plants.

Where is the sun for my day off? *sigh*
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #36084
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Where is the sun for my day off? *sigh*
It seems to have moved south - we've had non-stop sun now for 4 days - a new record after our week of endless rain & storms.

Come on over and help me fold my parachute!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #36085
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
And miss all the fun of planting my vegetables in the rain? Oh, so fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #36086
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I managed to celebrate my Memorial Day holiday by spraining both ankles ... fortunately only slightly ... but I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and limp back to work. I'm making up a story about a jet ski mishap or a parachute jump gone bad .....

[sounds lots better than stepping into a concealed hole in your own lawn, and then sliding off a curb at the drugstore]
Do you want one of the raw files we shot when we went paragliding? It's easy to Photoshop your face over mine... but the hat may cause some difficulty. The helmet gets in the way.

Stitchawl
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #36087
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Do you want one of the raw files we shot when we went paragliding? It's easy to Photoshop your face over mine... but the hat may cause some difficulty. The helmet gets in the way.

Stitchawl
Hmmmmm .... does it show hopping about & swearing after a crash landing? "I" could hurl the helmet down as I put ice on my ankle ....
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #36088
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Hmmmmm .... does it show hopping about & swearing after a crash landing? "I" could hurl the helmet down as I put ice on my ankle ....
Oh.... sorry. We threw those away quickly when we got home. We only kept the ones where we are either grinning ear to ear on living through the landing, or completely covered under the canopy while sprawled on the ground.

Stitchawl
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #36089
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Oh.... sorry. We threw those away quickly when we got home. We only kept the ones where we are either grinning ear to ear on living through the landing, or completely covered under the canopy while sprawled on the ground.

Stitchawl
Understandable - I'll take one of the "completely covered with canopy" prints - I can Photoshop my hat on the ground next to the sprawled legs ... Who could doubt my story then?

[dang! my right ankle is starting to stiffen]
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #36090
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's nearly 2am and I'm wide awake. It's not like I slept late this morning or took a nap in the afternoon. I'm now debating if I'll read for a while or not.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?