Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
KindleLazy - remote control page turns + brightness

Hi, here is KindleLazy 0.5

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti_KD58UWuc

You can turn pages and alter brightness via a device like a keyboard.
I use a wireless 'presenter', it sends keys like page up, page down etc.
I specifically use this product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYK18T0

KindleLazy is configurable, you can set what keys do what action.

Thanks to lucida and knc1 for the help.
lucida for the usbotgmouse extension which I based my extension on, advice on using Amazon's toolchain etc...
knc1 for all the general help to me and all over the years!
plus every other helpful member, thank you.

KindleLazy 0.5 readme:
Spoiler:

KindleLazy 0.5 - cearp

Only tested on PW3, nothing else!

At the moment this only reads from event2 and event3 - this is what my device reads as.
This should be improved later.

There is no hotplugging, have the device inserted before starting. If the device is removed, this app may quit.

The page turn direction can be reversed, so that your 'forward' button can still advance you to the next page.
For example, with books that are 'right to left', where the next page is on the left, you would reverse the direction.

The program will not work without a config file named 'config.json' in the same directory.
NOT menu.json and NOT config.xml, these are files for KUAL.

Here is a sample (and the default) config file:

{
"key_brightness_down" : [ 115 ],
"key_brightness_up" : [ 114 ],
"key_next_page" : [ 104, 103, 106 ],
"key_prev_page" : [ 109, 108, 105 ],
"reverse_direction" : false
}

Errors in the config file are not handled, it will probably crash.
Beware of commas and other punctuation.

Enter the keycodes for the keys you want to trigger the actions.

For the config above, the key codes represent:

104 = KEY_PAGEUP
109 = KEY_PAGEDOWN

103 = KEY_UP
108 = KEY_DOWN

105 = KEY_LEFT
106 = KEY_RIGHT

114 = VOLUME_DOWN
115 = VOLUME_UP

I can see some keycodes here, I am not sure if some devices produce different ones.
https://android.googlesource.com/pla...rds/Generic.kl

I want to improve this and add hotplugging (inserting/removing the usb device(s) any time when the program is running)

I also want to print a message to the screen (like usbnet does) that shows when the program starts, the current page direction, show a message when the program quits, etc...

I assume this will work on KV, OA... I'm not sure about PW2.
As for future proofing, the screen size is not hard coded so it should work with any resolution.

Any advice on how to do these things, or just advice on my programming is welcome!
Pull requests on github are welcome

Github page - https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLazy/
Download from - https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLazy/releases

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-24-2016 at 08:54 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Catchy name.

The usual dividing line for system differences is PW | PW2 rather than PW2 | PW3 (Different SoC with different cpu devices).
Which only means that it might work on the PW2 and might not work on the PW.
That is, one device model older than expected.

- - - - -

When hot-plug support work is being done, you will probably be able to handle (or at least avoid) those combinations that leave the Kindle's system in strange and unusual states.

Even with a stock Kindle, plugging in a USB cord from a PC generates a lot of internal, low level, activity to get the result people are used to.

All of that work certainly wasn't done in a day (or a week) by lab126, and it might even be why they haven't (at least yet) included general USB device support (although the hardware (since the KT) can do it).
- - and they probably have documentation to help them - -

Last edited by knc1; 09-24-2016 at 08:56 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
frenshprince
Connoisseur
frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo HD
The most usefull feature I've been waiting for so long.
It works only on a jb kindle ?
frenshprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenshprince View Post
The most usefull feature I've been waiting for so long.
It works only on a jb kindle ?
Yes to both.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
This might even be enough to get me to jailbreak. With this, I could actually read a kindle on a treadmill, and change the pages while walking. [ Mind you, I don't currently *use* my treadmill, but this might help me to start ... ]

edit: I gather one has to plug something in to the kindle. What? The pointer / page-clicker is wireless.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 09-26-2016 at 02:47 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

A different kind of "wireless" than any the kindle (or pc) uses.
There is a small receiver that plugs into the Kindle.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A different kind of "wireless" than any the kindle (or pc) uses.
There is a small receiver that plugs into the Kindle.
I have a receiver of that type that works with a cordless mouse, but have ordered the presenter, which does come with its own receiver, and have made the json file but am uncertain how to install on the KV. I guess I missed something....

Last edited by jscris; 09-26-2016 at 04:47 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

I think they have to be 'paired' by the vendor, because I have only seen the receiver supplied with the wireless device and no general purpose (for any device manufacturer) receivers for sale.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I have a receiver of that type that works with a cordless mouse, but have ordered the presenter, which does come with its own receiver, and have made the json file but am uncertain how to install on the KV. I guess I missed something....
Ahh, thanks. I looked at the device above on Amazon, but didn't notice that it came with a dongle.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This might even be enough to get me to jailbreak. With this, I could actually read a kindle on a treadmill, and change the pages while walking.
Neat idea actually, if I had a treadmill
Quote:
You bought the same presenter I have? Cool, then you won't even need to touch the json file.
Either way, 99% of these presenter controllers will send page up, page down, or left right etc, so either way you shouldn't need to edit the json config file.

Oh yeah I guess I should have made it clearer for people:

You will need something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/262292872611
(none of these links are affiliate links or my items haha, so feel feel to buy/not buy, I don't care)

It will let you plug a mouse/usb drive/keyboard into your (recent version of) android phone, stuff like that.
Naturally we need it for the kindle because the kindle doesn't have the big 'normal' usb port, only the micro one.

I would love to modify the little usb dongle and replace the usb connector with a micro usb connector... but I think I'd end up breaking it.
Similarly, putting it inside the device permanently would be cool, but we would probably need to install a usb hub also if we want to keep the usb port useable, also I doubt there's enough room.

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-26-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Neat idea actually, if I had a treadmill

You bought the same presenter I have? Cool, then you won't even need to touch the json file.
Either way, 99% of these presenter controllers will send page up, page down, or left right etc, so either way you shouldn't need to edit the json config file.

You will need something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/262292872611
Yep. Ordered the same one. And I have one of those thingies, although mine has a short cable on it so I will replace it with something more compact if this works for me.

Now, sorry to be dense, but...where do I put the files?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep. Ordered the same one. And I have one of those thingies, although mine has a short cable on it so I will replace it with something more compact if this works for me.

Now, sorry to be dense, but...where do I put the files?
Keep asking! These are all questions I would need, if I ever get that far .... and get the courage to jailbreak.

Amazon has a few of the adaptors too:
5 at a time, minimal exactly like the ebay one above $5.99

2 at a time, with a black body surrounding the guts $4.99

1 piece, with a pretty gold case $5.99

Actually though -- an adapter with a short cable might be better, since you can't have this adapter and the pointer's dongle sticking out of the *bottom* of a kindle and still set the kindle on a reading stand (ie. my treadmill idea).

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 09-26-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #13
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Keep asking! These are all questions I would need, if I ever get that far .... and get the courage to jailbreak.

Actually though -- an adapter with a short cable might be better, since you can't have this adapter and the pointer's dongle sticking out of the *bottom* of a kindle and still set the kindle on a reading stand (ie. my treadmill idea).
Well, in landscape, yes, but in portrait mode it's pretty wobbly. The connector sticks out about half an inch. It's like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by jscris; 09-26-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
zxczxc
Addict

Yeah the bad thing is that this won't be good in portrait mode... and Amazon doesn't let us rotate 180 degree to be upside down.

But recently I have started reading in landscape anyway because... we can - it's better no? We have 2 eyes, horizontal, we see 'wide', not 'tall'. So I think landscape makes more sense really!

But yeah, I think I asked for an upside down 'hack', I forgot how that worked out.

To use KindleLazy (or any KUAL app) - first jailbreak.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Following the whole guide, you will have KUAL installed (the app launcher).

Then just copy KindleLazy to your 'extensions' folder when you plug your kindle into your computer. Go to KUAL, and start KindleLazy. Action.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Yeah the bad thing is that this won't be good in portrait mode... and Amazon doesn't let us rotate 180 degree to be upside down.

But recently I have started reading in landscape anyway because... we can - it's better no? We have 2 eyes, horizontal, we see 'wide', not 'tall'. So I think landscape makes more sense really!

But yeah, I think I asked for an upside down 'hack', I forgot how that worked out.

To use KindleLazy (or any KUAL app) - first jailbreak.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Following the whole guide, you will have KUAL installed (the app launcher).

Then just copy KindleLazy to your 'extensions' folder when you plug your kindle into your computer. Go to KUAL, and start KindleLazy. Action.
Thanks! That's easy!

Reading in bed lying on my side it will work fine anyway. I do a lot of my reading in that position. 180 flip wouldn't work with the Origami cover for an easel. :|

Last edited by jscris; 09-26-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Tags
remote, remote control