Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Linreb - eLibrarian for REB1200 and EBW1150

What is an eLibrarian?

Well most that have an EBW1150 have also purchased the eBook Librarian or GEBLibrarian. These programs are examples of an eLibrarian that will serve up a .imp ebook that you have onto your reader without using the ETI servers.

This software was originally written by Nandagopal Kirubanandan for Linux and REB1200.

The first mention I found of 'Linreb' (google "linreb-0.1") was the russian site ebook.org. Here is a link to that translated google'd page. Hopefully it works. It's half way down, and around the 18th message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook.org
Polazil on inetu and found support programmes for those who use Linux to communicate with REB1200.

Linreb - Linux eLibrarian for REB1200

What I really wanted was something that would run on Linux to provide the same functionality. I wrote a simple program, linreb, that runs on linux (really should run on any unix system) that provides a pseudo online bookshelf.

Here is the source code : linreb-0.1.tar.gz.
The website where the source could be found is http://members.cox.net/nandu/reb1200/linreb-0.1.tar.gz, however, that link no longer exists and can only be made accessible using the WayBackMachine at archive.org. (see http://web.archive.org/web/200501251...nandu/reb1200/ for that homepage )

I couldn't get the source from there but was able to find it using a ftp filesearch (forgot the actual link, though). I attach the original source (v0.1) for linux and my modified version (v0.2) to run on windows machines and to play with.

I will be updating the software to allow many things on my wishlist, but have not yet coded anything. My wishlist would include:
- surf the net!
- grab .imp files directly from the Mobileread IMP ebook upload area, ala 'Mobipocket Download Guide'.
- add conversion/creation abilities, ala GEBLIbrarian.

Want to add any ideas to the wishlist?

I will be on holidays for a week starting now, and may not be able to access this site (or any other site ) as I don't have internet access where I'm staying. Upon my return, I will continue this project.

Oh, yeah, simple instructions on its use:
1. unzip the files into a directory
2. Open a command prompt and cd to that directory where 'linreb.exe' is for Windows users or 'linreb' for linux users.
3. Type 'linreb -h' for help or just double click the 'linreb-start.bat'. It uses port 9090 by default; just like GEBLibrarian.
4. Place all your .imp ebooks in the subdirectory 'shelf'
5. On your reader, ensure in 'Settings' that you have selected 'Use HTTP proxy'!
6. Have fun exploring.... To end the program, hit Ctrl-C in the command prompt window.

As always, enjoy!

EDIT: for a lark, try accessing http://directory.ebooksystem.net/directory/default.asp from your web browser... (Great Customer Support?)

UPDATE: v0.2.02 - cleaned up source code (no major changes) but now include some internet links to allow the reader to more easily browse the internet (see here)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150-surfing-local-Linreb Bookstore Page.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	15670  
Attached Files
File Type: zip linreb-0.2.zip (3.18 MB, 620 views)
File Type: gz linreb-0.1.tar.gz (115.2 KB, 558 views)
File Type: zip linreb-0.2.02.zip (1.93 MB, 1720 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-27-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added slighlt cleaned up version with 'embedded' internet links
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Just found this today. It is supposed to be a usb driver for the eb-1150 under linux. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet though. I've just been using the smart card to get my books in the reader.
http://www.sf.net/projects/eb1150

Here's the ubuntu thread where it was mentioned, toward the bottom of the first page.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35674

Might be of some use with the code you are working on.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I saw that one and will look closer now....
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
nrapallo

Just for the techies in the crowd...

I attach below the HTTP communications that were captured between the REB1200/EBW1150 and Linreb for most of the commands/actions performed by the reader.

I stripped out all binaries from the (text) capture file and as such no .jpg/.png/.gifs are included as well as there are no .imp ebook transfers therein.

By the way, the Linreb program easily facilitates the capturing of your HTTP communications with the reader from the dos prompt by passing '-l logfile.txt' to the program. Also, add one or two '-v' for more detailed information when calling the program.
Attached Files
File Type: txt REB1200-talk-to-linreb.txt (12.3 KB, 679 views)
File Type: txt EBW1150-talk-to-linreb.txt (10.8 KB, 1126 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-24-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: fixing typos
Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

<edit>
There has been quite a bit of progress in the area of using your ebookwise 1150 with linux since this thread was started. If you found this one through a search engine the most up to date discussions are in this thread the wiki entry on this topic is here.

Look through the wiki entry for the information and any discussions or questions can posted in the mentioned thread.
</edit>

Thought I would just add this to the thread for anyone who might be wondering. I finally got around to testing the usb driver for linux mentioned above. It does work I was able to download the dictionary from my online bookshelf and one of the other books. Just need to figure out the personal content server part now so I can get books directly from my computer.

I did have to fix a small problem with the code before it would build. It seems that an include was left out in one of the header files. Right after the tarball is extracted just add one line as shown below in the file proxy1150.h

Orginal
Code:
#ifndef PROXY1150_H
#define PROXY1150_H

#include "dev1150.h"

class Proxy1150 {
 public:
Fixed
Code:
#ifndef PROXY1150_H
#define PROXY1150_H

#include <vector>    <--- add this line
#include "dev1150.h"

class Proxy1150 {
 public:
eb 1150 usb daemon
I attached the code with the one line added. The only thing I had to add to a standard install of ubuntu 8.04 was the library libusb and the dev package. Then just unzip the file and run configure, make, and make install. Then follow the directions in the README to get it running.

linreb
Also attached is a copy of linreb code that I changed some of the defines in to get it to work with my ebookwise 1150. Apparently the REB1200 sends requests to
http://bookshelf.softbook.net
and the ebookwise sends them to
http://bookshelf.ebooksystem.net
After I changed that I was able to run the eb1150 daemon and linreb to get access to a bookshelf on my pc. I'll post the steps to get it all working in a new topic once once I get the process a little more ironed out its a little ugly right now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eb1150-0.1.zip (100.7 KB, 584 views)
File Type: zip linreb-0.1.1.zip (251.2 KB, 550 views)

Last edited by derrell; 10-01-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: attached code archives
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
nrapallo

UPDATE: Linreb v0.2.02 now out - see first post above

UPDATE: v0.2.02 - cleaned up source code (no major changes) but now include some internet links to allow the reader to more easily browse the internet (see here)

Enjoy!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
GlennWalter
GlennWalter began at the beginning.

Device: e-book reader
Question Linreb - eLibrarian for REB1200 and EBW1150

hi,

Thought I would just add this to the thread for anyone who might be wondering. I finally got around to testing the usb driver for linux mentioned above. Ah and I put my post live about linkstar! It does work I was able to download the dictionary from my online bookshelf and one of the other books. Just need to figure out the personal content server part now so I can get books directly from my computer.

Last edited by GlennWalter; 11-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.
GlennWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
GlennWalter: you might want to take a look at impserve
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
derrell
Jack O' Apes

The setup for getting eb1150 working is the same for linreb and impserve. impserve is newer and with more features and definitely worth a look.

I've added the next couple of paragraphs to my original post above so that folks finding this through google will also be aware of some of the other information about their ebookwise 1150 and linux.

There has been quite a bit of progress in the area of using your ebookwise 1150 with linux since this thread was started. If you found this one through a search engine the most up to date discussions are in this thread the wiki entry on this topic is here.

Look through the wiki entry for the information and any discussions or questions can posted in the mentioned thread.

Last edited by derrell; 10-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.