Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 10-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
James70
James70 began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop (Windows 10)
Mark new text when scrolling

When I'm reading an ebook I often find myself looking where to continue. I mean this:
1. I read untill the last word on my screen,
2. then I scroll with my mouse (once or twice) and the text moves up for a number of lines,
3. consequently me eyes go upward to look for that last word, in order to continue reading.
This is annoying. I would like to have a visual indicator where I have to continue reading. For example a small line between the old and new lines, or a (temporal) highligt of the first new word.
Now I don't know if this should be a plugin or a feature of the main program. This is my first post on the forum. But I guess this place on the forum is a promising one
If such a feature already existst, please tell me. I could not find it anywhere.
James70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by James70 View Post
When I'm reading an ebook I often find myself looking where to continue. I mean this:
1. I read untill the last word on my screen,
2. then I scroll with my mouse (once or twice) and the text moves up for a number of lines,
3. consequently me eyes go upward to look for that last word, in order to continue reading.
This is annoying. I would like to have a visual indicator where I have to continue reading. For example a small line between the old and new lines, or a (temporal) highligt of the first new word.
Now I don't know if this should be a plugin or a feature of the main program. This is my first post on the forum. But I guess this place on the forum is a promising one
If such a feature already existst, please tell me. I could not find it anywhere.
Have you tried using the Spacebar to 'page' your book?
BTW Shift-space goes back one screen

Last edited by theducks; 10-16-2021 at 09:51 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
James70
James70 began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop (Windows 10)
Thanks for the tip!
It doesn't completely solve my problem because I'm used to scrolling. But it is a big step in the right direction because it refreshes the whole page.
James70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For long form reading I strongly recommend paged mode, it is much superior to flow mode (line based scrolling -- an abomination imposed upon us by browsers). Try the paged mode in the viewer preferences under Layout
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Quote:
Originally Posted by James70 View Post
Thanks for the tip!
It doesn't completely solve my problem because I'm used to scrolling. But it is a big step in the right direction because it refreshes the whole page.

If you want to use your mouse instead of the keyboard, just enable the toolbar and click next page. Another way with the mouse clicking on the margins right, forward and left, backwards.
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert