Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PW1 upgrade to... What? Or at all?

Hi,

I currently own a first generation Kindle PW, which has served me well the last few years. However I am now experiencing a) a bit of sluggishness, despite not having *that* many books on there and b) the itch to upgrade. I don't require anything special, I just read normal books, no PDFs, and although I'd love TTS and direct library downloading, I believe neither Kindles or Kobos have these features.

Having been so content with my PW, I haven't looked at anything else for a long time. I previously had a Kobo Glo which I had so many issues with that I eventually gave up with it and got my PW. I've also owned a Sony PRS-T1. Basically, I don't know what to get for an upgrade, or even if I should upgrade at all.

I guess my questions can be summarised as followed:

1. What changed between PW1 and PW2, and then the Voyage? Has anything changed enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade?

2. Has Kobo got any better at quality control in terms of firmware and stability?

3. Has Kobo fixed the irritating margin issues (I often had text start right at the top of the screen so that they were under the shadow of the bezel and unreadable.)

4. Is the H2O absolutely huge? I have no issues with my PW size, I am a female and have really little hands, so a giant screen is not necessarily good for me. Having said that, if the device itself isn't too much larger, I would not necessarily be averse to the larger screen.

5. I'm tempted to stay within the Kindle ecosystem, mainly because I love the email to kindle feature. All my books are in calibre, so that's not an issue, but everything about the Kindle ecosystem is so convenient. Also, last time I checked, prices in the UK were almost always cheaper on Amazon, especially as the Kobo codes never seem to be valid for books I actually want. Is this still the case, or are prices more equal now? And have Kobo improved the browser at all, so that downloading from say, Dropbox, is a lot less clunky? I can't be doing with finding my computer every time I want to sideload a book!

6. Are the new carta screens really a huge improvement from my PW? I see no jaggedness or anything on it, so I'm currently confused as to whether I would notice any difference at all! I live in the middle of nowhere, so I haven't been able to get a look at either of the newest devices yet.

7. Aside from extra customisation options, are there any other features of the Kobo software that are better than or not available on the Kindle PW/Voyage? Ooh and is there still sudoku on the Kobos? That's always a selling point! Or you know, a half point in its favour...

8. Should I just save my money and deal with sluggishness and upgrade-itis?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry about the huge number of questions!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can't even begin to answer all your questions Bethany but the only thing that changed with the PW2 was the Carta screen, which IMO is a good enough reason to upgrade. With Voyage they introduced page press sensors, a sharper crisper screen and the auto bright feature. Only you can decide if they are enough to justify the price of a Voyage.

I have a Voyage, I have had a PW2 and I have three Kobo's. I love my Kobo's, I haven't had software issues but I have had hardware problems, I went through 4 H20's and 6 Glo's to get my two devices, and my Aura has pin holes, not major ones, but they are there.

Software, apart from two out of the box format disc errors I haven't had any issues, I've had my Aura for a year, the Glo and H20 are new. Support for Kobo's from Kobo CS is pretty much non existent, if you buy a Kobo expect to be your own support by googling or using the Kobo forum.

There are plugins to deal with the margins, although the 'fix' for full screen reading has a few bugs and I don't use it, I use the Kepub Output Plug in and the Kobo Touch Extended plug in to send my epubs to my Kobo as Kepubs, they render much better than epubs.

There are multiple threads in both this forum and the kindle and kobo forums comparing the Voyage to a H20, I would read through those and most of your questions should be answered.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-11-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ohh and prices are still cheaper at Amazon and you don't have to worry about getting a PDF or an epub3 which is a non downloadable book.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thread in this forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246513

Thread in the Kindle forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246513

Thread in the Kobo forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249387

There are also pictures in those threads which should help regarding size. Also WHSmith now sells the H20 so you could go along and try and find a demo model in a local store.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-11-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Regarding dropbox -- you cannot download at all from a Kindle anymore, they must've updated the website because it now crashes 100% of the time.

Kobo reportedly does not have this issue, no idea why.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I initially din't think it was worth upgrading from the PW1 to the PW2 but eventually did so and found the display to be much better to my eyes, so I wish I hadn't waited so long.

I have a Voyage on order but haven't received it yet. For me, it's worth the additional cost for the improved display and page-turn sensors.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote