Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #1
lilshim
lilshim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How can I sync my progress/current page in personal documents from Kindle to Mac?

tl;dr How do I save current page in book on Kindle so I can pick up same location on Mac?

I've been looking all over the internets and I'm unable to find a way to sync my progress in reading a personal document from my Kindle <-> Mac. To clarify, I already know that I can send personal documents to the Amazon Kindle Email, so that my Kindle can receive the personal document I read on my Mac. However, I don't know how to send / save my page / progress from my Kindle to my Mac.

I'm able to sync Kindle <-> phone through the Kindle app just fine. The way I do this is by sending the book from phone/computer to my amazon Kindle email, resulting in my Kindle having that personal document. It's great because now I can read on my phone and kindle and trust that my progress is in sync. But, sometimes I need to read on my Mac, but it looks like, after reading various posts online, that the PC/Mac Kindle App is unable to download personal documents. Is there any plugin or way that Calibre does this?

Thanks so much in advanced!

Last edited by lilshim; 03-12-2017 at 01:43 AM.
lilshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Not a Calibre question. Moved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@lilshim: There is no plugin, but what you can do to get the sync working between Mac and other devices (Kindle, smartphone, tablet) is this:

-download your PDOC on you Kindle from the Cloud arcive.
- Connect your Kindle via USB cable to you Mac (or PC)
- copy the book file (azw, mobi, prc...) from "documents" folder on Kindle drive to "My Kindle Content" (or whatever is the name of the folder where "Kindle for Mac" stores downloaded books, on Windows & "Kindle for PC" app the books are stored in "Documents/My Kindle Content" folder) on your computer. If the books download with filenames containing random string of characters instead of book titles you can just sort the folder by modification date and that way find the most recent download.

That's it, the sync should now work. PC and Mac Kindle app don't display archived PDOCs but once you have correct file (= the same file, or to be more precise files containing the same ASIN value) copied to correct location the syncing works just like it works for books from Kindle Store. You're just not able to download PDOCs directly within Kindle for Mac/Kindle for PC app.

"Kindle for PC" will not display book cover thumbnail (there is not even a title on generic cover, it displays just white thumbnail with "PDF" flag on it ) for books transferred manually so you must switch to list view to be able to sea book titles and choose the correct one.

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-12-2017 at 03:28 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
lilshim

@shamanNS

Thanks so much!

It looks like everything works perfectly, but my Kindle Reader App on Mac only syncs up to the furthest page read, and not the most recent page that I was on. Do you now if syncing to the most recent I was on, and not just the furthest page is possible?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed that also for PC version of Kindle app.. that it only does "old type" of sync (= furthest read), IIRC 1st gen Paperwhite also syncs the same way (it never got update that introduces "most recent" type of sync ??). Smartphone apps and Kindle PW2 and newer devices all do "most recent" sync.

So,thas's a problem if you're re-read a PDOC book, and you will have to "clear the furthest page read" data (from "Manage Your Content and Devices" section of Amazon website) to be able to start over. Since that option is hidden for PDOCs you will have to use bookmarklet (use the "MYK:CFPR3" version) from this website which adds "clearFRP!" button next to each PDOC title on Amazon website.

That still leaves the problem that you'll probably have each time you jump to the end of a book to view things like glossary, ToC, About Author and then go back to "real reading position". But for that you could possibly also do "clearing the position on Amazon site then doing a sync on smartphone or Kindle eInk device" as a (annoying) workaround.

As long you're reading books from start to finish without jumping around backwards or forwards the "computer<>others" sync should work.
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would be asking myself why I'm using Kindle platform for this, given its limitations with personal documents.

Assuming this is for something akin to 'long-form' reading, I'd be more inclined to go with something like Google Books or Bookari. Both have 'full citizen' status for ePub and PDF that you store in their respective clouds, with full syncing of reading position and notes. Both have iOS and Android apps and support for desktop browsers.

iBooks might be an option if you are only using Apple devices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
lilshim

@tomsem

Oh I didn't know using Google Books was even an option! My biggest concern is just to read personal documents in a synchronized fashion on my phone, Macbook, and Kindle. Are there ways to get personal documents from my Macbook to my Kindle, and have progress synchronized across devices somehow using Google Books?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru

It not an option if one of the devices you want to read is a Kindle eInk device
Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I tried this out and unfortunately it's not correct that it works "just like it works for books from Kindle Store". The current Kindle for Mac app does support automatic most recent page sync, not only furthest page. But it only works with purchased books from Amazon. With personal documents copied from a Kindle to the computer this way, you only get the furthest page sync, using the sync button.

Also, highlighting and bookmarks don't work properly. You can create a highlight on the computer, and it will sync to other Kindle devices. But the other way around doesn't work, highlights and bookmarks made on other devices don't sync back to the desktop.

I know this because I just spent the last few hours testing it...

So, while it's nice to have the furthest page sync working, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I read something about changing a tag from PDOC to EBOK, using an official Amazon ASIN number, and so on, but there seems to be conflicting or outdated information about whether that would allow proper sync. Anyone know?
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilshim View Post
@tomsem

Oh I didn't know using Google Books was even an option! My biggest concern is just to read personal documents in a synchronized fashion on my phone, Macbook, and Kindle. Are there ways to get personal documents from my Macbook to my Kindle, and have progress synchronized across devices somehow using Google Books?
Only in theory. The Kindle experimental browser will let you access Google Books but the web reader does not work well given small screen and low performance of the Kindle. I was assuming 'tablet and computer', excluding KIndle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
So, does anybody know if changing the PDOC to EBOK and so on can allow full sync?
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mac, personal document, reader, sync