Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Case of filenames in Sigil

I was modifying a book in Sigil, and updated the cover image. I typed in the name of the new file and it displayed fine in Sigil, the F7 check cheerfully said "No problems found!"

It looked fine in Calibre's reader on my PC.
I sent it to someone who loaded it on his iPad and iPhone, who told me that there was no cover, either in the "bookshelf" or when reading it in iBooks.

After a few days of frustration and casting around to diagnose I eventually used the ePubCheck site and it told me that the cover image was not found. After reading its messages a few times I finally noticed that the file it wanted was cover.jpg. The filename was Cover.jpg.
Windows is insensitive to filename case, so either works on Windows, but iOS does care.

Now I'm aware of the problem, and have installed the ePubCheck plugin, I won't be fooled again, but Sigil should not be less strict than common devices that read ePubs.

So, can Sigil be made filename case sensitive as well regardless of the platform it's running on?

Last edited by AlanHK; 03-09-2017 at 01:29 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
[...] the F7 check cheerfully said "No problems found!"
F7 runs a well-formedness check that only checks for basic errors such as missing/extra tags and nesting errors.

Quote:
After a few days of frustration and casting around to diagnose I eventually used the ePubCheck site and it told me that the cover image was not found.
Shameless plug: I created a simple epubcheck wrapper for Sigil.

Quote:
So, can Sigil be made filename case sensitive as well regardless of the platform it's running on?
AFAIK, this problem can't be easily fixed, because the Windows version of the Qt platform that Sigil is based on is case-insensitive. For the time being your best option is to validate your book with epubcheck and other validators.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-09-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As Doitsu said, Sigil's F7 is not a compliance or specification checker. It's purpose is to make sure the html can be safely parsed with no data loss. Tags are properly closed ... tags are properly nested. That's it. All epub or (x)html specification checking is left to plugins (or external tools). Been that way tor the entire 0.9.x series.

Again: Passing Sigil's "Well-Formedness" check (F7) does not mean, "my EPUB is A-OK". It means "I can safely run automated tools and plugins on the xhtml in my EPUB."

No EPUB should be assumed to be error-free unless checked using EpubCheck (website, command-line tool, or plugin) and/or FlightCrew (plugin).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-09-2017 at 07:44 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

No EPUB should be assumed to be error-free unless checked using EpubCheck (website, command-line tool, or plugin) and/or FlightCrew (plugin).
+1

Especially one that I've been into.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote