Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Kindle books supposed to be cheaper?

Just heard about this book, so looked it up:

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Animals.../dp/0316069884

The hard cover is cheaper than the kindle edition *lol* and paperback almost half the price....

Even if amazon is going to give out the kindle for free, it's still cheaper to just get the hardcover shipped for free!

I'm aware that this is not always the case, however, saw it quite a lot now....just makes me angry.
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Blame the publisher and not Amazon... the publisher set the price to be more than the hard cover
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you look closely, Amazon is not setting the price of the cheaper hardcover. That's a third-party seller. Yes, it's sad that the ebook costs more than the paperback, but there again... Amazon didn't set the price for this particular ebook either. Blame the Hachette Book Group, not Amazon
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yep. Hatchette is one of the publishers insisting on the agency model where they set the retail price. Previously, Amazon typically aimed to have books at $9.99 during new release and below paperback price when that came out. Sometimes it meant they took a loss, but it was a strategic decision. Some of the big publishers adopted the agency model to stop the downward price pressure on ebooks. They don't want them to be too competitive with hardcovers.

Last edited by Alisa; 08-25-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Meant "new release".
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
how come i don't see the kindle version? is it because i'm canadian?
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer2k View Post
Even if amazon is going to give out the kindle for free, it's still cheaper to just get the hardcover shipped for free!
You're forgetting the price of the space and the shelves you put the books on. :P
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The hard cover is cheaper than the kindle edition *lol* and paperback almost half the price....
Kindle version $12.99 (set by publisher)
Hardcover $17.15 (set by Amazon)
Paperback $10.19 (set by Amazon)

The ebook price sucks for sure, but I'm not sure how the HC is cheaper and the PB is almost half the price. The publisher "thinks" the ebook is a deal because it's price is $2 less than the list price of the paperback, but they don't live in the same world as most folks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Where did you get the $12.99 from?

I see:

Kindle Edition
$19.48
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where did you get the $12.99 from?

I see:

Kindle Edition
$19.48
It's $12.99 for me...

Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
I don’t know why but that made me giggle
geemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
Yes. There does not appear to be a Kindle edition of this book available outside the US. It's not available in the UK either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
well, i'm from Europe and i can see the kindle version together with "deliver to your kindle...".

and this is a shocker i tell you because i've come across so many "not available to your region" books that i'm dismayed at the whole agency model thing.

and dismayed is a... ummm.... euphemism.

but i'm seeing it with a $19.48 price (on amazon.com)
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Here's another book I want to read, "Coming of Age in the Milky Way", where the paperback and Kindle edition are basically the same price (paperback is cheaper):

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Age-Mil...61662&sr=1-6#_

Last edited by cleanskin; 08-25-2010 at 03:17 PM.
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

If you want a good example of crappy pricing here''s one. $7.99 for the paperback or $12.99 for the ebook (thanks Hachette and agency pricing).

http://www.amazon.com/Naamahs-Kiss-e...2763692&sr=1-1
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
i wouldn't purchase an ebook higher priced than pbook anyways so i'm glad i don't see them ;p
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote