Yes I am 100 percent for this! 49 80.33%
No I dont think it would work! 8 13.11%
Do not care one way or the other! 4 6.56%
It's just a fad E-books and E-readers will never catch on! 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
School text books

I am wondering if there would be any support for converting school text books to ebook format.
Would people go for it? What could the possible benefits be?
What would the possible cost savings be?
Would the schools support this?

Any thoughts guys?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I took a course that had an e-textbook option. It was a big mistake. It was $10 less than the paper version, but you could not download to a device (you had to read it off a secure website and be logged in), could not cut and paste for posting on the course message board, you could not search because some of the chapters were just image scans that had not been OCRd, and the book 'expired' the day after the course ended. There were no usability benefits to having it in e-form (e.g. the search or the ability to cut and paste into the course message board since this was an on-line course) and in fact there were deficiencies since I had to be AT my computer to use it. And it expires to boot? For such a paltry price difference, I would have rather paid $10 more and gotten a paper copy I could keep. It was an epic fail.

That said, as a college English major, I could have saved a fortune had ebooks been available as they are now. I got a complete works of Shakespeare WITH scholarly articles and footnotes for $2.99 off Amazon. That same sort of book, in paper, was $85 back in 1997 And all those obscure Victorian poets we read for two classes and never looked at again? Available for free on-line these days...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think this is not about Kobo, so it might be better in the general forum. Maybe ask to have it moved?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember; text book publishers are in it for mega profit. And one way they help get that is to bring out new revisions of a text book each and every year, and then to ensure that schools teach courses based on the NEWEST edition!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think this is not about Kobo, so it might be better in the general forum. Maybe ask to have it moved?
OP did request the move and it has now been moved.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Once ereaders lose their fragile substrates and can survive a drop from a desk or book bag landing display side down, then by all means convert to ebooks. But not until then.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think that it is a great idea. Instead of carrying around a heavy bag, you could carry your textbooks on a tablet, and save some money in the process.

Recently a course I audited made a PDF of the textbook available for free with a purchase of the paper copy of the text. I quite liked that idea, but I don't know how many of the students made use of it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Would have been great back when I was an undergrad or grad student. I can remember lugging a three ton bag of books up a hill in a blinding snow storm to class, that was fun -not! and going to the campus book store to lean that the store is out of half of the text that I need - that was fun - not!. This could have saved my santity back then when I actually had one.

Last edited by jbcohen; 07-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I am wondering if there would be any support for converting school text books to ebook format.

Any thoughts guys?
I teach - Finance to undergrads. Many publishers nowadays include PDF versions for faculty - but I have been asking publishers for PDF versions of textbooks for years - and most do send them. I think it's great, but you need a device with a big screen and with the capability to handle annotations (hence, a touch screen). I use my iPad for that.

Benefits include portability (really, the main one), ease of searching, ability to delete/edit annotations, ability to share annotations.

Electronic versions could also be cheaper, and could be updated without the need to buy a whole new version, but good luck getting publishers sold on those ideas...

The potential, however, is there. But the market is too insulated from competitive pressures.

Last edited by vxf; 06-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
yes if it is EPUB/MOBI

or any other reflowable format - I would soo much love it! Problem is, though, that we are still some way away from being able to include tables and mathematical formulas as other than imges, with all the problems of scalability adn the like. I am hoepful that imporvements will come with the new EPUB 3.0 standard, but I am not holding my breath...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Any thoughts guys?
Yes, less books to carry.
Initially, not a lot, I think. Potentionally? A lot. If you know how much effort goes into those paper books and then the updates for them (correcting errors that did slip through) and don't even consider the cost of printing, storing and transporting them. Unlike the average novel, a schoolbook sees some very heavy use and needs to be replaced more often. And they're often more heavy and larger as well.
Yes. There is a pilot project running right now here, where the kids no longer have books, but an Ipad. It will run for 2 1/2 years. All books have been digitized and are available via an Ipad app. When the kids need the book, it's there.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I teach - Finance to undergrads. Many publishers nowadays include PDF versions for faculty - but I have been asking publishers for PDF versions of textbooks for years - and most do send them. I think it's great, but you need a device with a big screen and with the capability to handle annotations (hence, a touch screen). I use my iPad for that.

Benefits include portability (really, the main one), ease of searching, ability to delete/edit annotations, ability to share annotations.

Electronic versions could also be cheaper, and could be updated without the need to buy a whole new version, but good luck getting publishers sold on those ideas...

The potential, however, is there. But the market is too insulated from competitive pressures.
OH I agree with you on that note. I am not saying that every E-reader is suitable. But there are a lot of tables that would be.

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I took a course that had an e-textbook option. It was a big mistake. It was $10 less than the paper version, but you could not download to a device (you had to read it off a secure website and be logged in), could not cut and paste for posting on the course message board, you could not search because some of the chapters were just image scans that had not been OCRd, and the book 'expired' the day after the course ended. There were no usability benefits to having it in e-form (e.g. the search or the ability to cut and paste into the course message board since this was an on-line course) and in fact there were deficiencies since I had to be AT my computer to use it. And it expires to boot? For such a paltry price difference, I would have rather paid $10 more and gotten a paper copy I could keep. It was an epic fail.

That said, as a college English major, I could have saved a fortune had ebooks been available as they are now. I got a complete works of Shakespeare WITH scholarly articles and footnotes for $2.99 off Amazon. That same sort of book, in paper, was $85 back in 1997 And all those obscure Victorian poets we read for two classes and never looked at again? Available for free on-line these days...
Thats a limitation I think we have passed. But I would definatly have been disapointed as well. I like the portability of Ebooks... I have over 3000 in my library.

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
OP did request the move and it has now been moved.
Thank you kindly

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the idea. I hope that something like this happens.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote