Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question any other tips to get Calibre to email with GMX

My GMX credentials are fine, I have my full GMX email listed in the Calibre preferences. I looked online and could not find a solution that works for me. Using a Mac here.

None of the mobi files I email to my Kindle show up, when sending them within Calibre. This has worked in the past successfully, and I have not changed any settings within GMX.
Spoiler:

Starting job: Email SLEEPING GIANTS to chip92114pw@kindle.com
Waiting 301 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
reply: '220 gmx.com (mrgmx102) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gmx.com (mrgmx102) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
connect: gmx.com (mrgmx102) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
send: 'ehlo Christophers-MacBook-Air.local\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello Christophers-MacBook-Air.local [174.65.19.96]\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello Christophers-MacBook-Air.local [174.65.19.96]
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
STARTTLS
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: OK
reply: '250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello Christophers-MacBook-Air.local [174.65.19.96]
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: '535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: Authentication credentials invalid

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 44, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 134, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 154, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 647, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, 'Authentication credentials invalid')

Retrying in 301 seconds...

Waiting 301 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks
reply: '220 gmx.com (mrgmx101) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gmx.com (mrgmx101) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
connect: gmx.com (mrgmx101) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250 STARTTLS\r\n'
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
STARTTLS
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: OK
reply: '250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: '535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: Authentication credentials invalid

Sending failed...

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 44, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 134, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 154, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 647, in login

Job: "Email SLEEPING GIANTS to chip92114pw@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 84, in start_work
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 101, in __call__

Called with args: (u'/var/folders/p3/tr15nn4x7wd4ghvg_hs4zslr0000gn/C/calibre_3.25.0_tmp_wgCFPT/IOr4_3caltmpfmt.mobi', u'SLEEPING GIANTS - Sylvain Neuvel.mobi', u'chip92114pw@kindle.com', 'EMAIL', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nSLEEPING GIANTS\n\tby Sylvain Neuvel\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x1259b4050>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x11c3f8e10>, u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x1259b2bd8>}

Last edited by theducks; 06-11-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: WRAPlog file in SPOILER
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
According to that your GMX username/password are wrong.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

In Calibre, under Preferences, Sharing books by email, at bottom, host mail says mail.gmx.com. Under user name, which just shows @gmx.com, I changed it to show my full email address, but the setting has reverted back. My user name and password are correct.
I have looked at the Calibre user manual, don't know why it still doesn't work (but I still absolutely love Calibre!)....

Update: I got it to work by choosing the Connect/Share - Email to: option. I had been using the Email to (my kindle email) option. Even though it is the same email adddress as what I used in my choice, it worked.

Last edited by ChipAHoy; 06-11-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
GMX thinks your username and password are incorrect, there's not anything calibre can do about that.

And your username has to show your full email address, otherwise it is not going to work. Remember to click apply after changing it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
DarrenHill
DarrenHill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just came across this one myself, and I can give the solution.

By default GMX emails don't allow access via POP3/IMAP - you have to go into the GMX email settings and activate it. Once you do that things work fine.

See the link below for their help page on how to do it.

https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/toggle.html
DarrenHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

POP3/IMAP is enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHill View Post
I just came across this one myself, and I can give the solution.

By default GMX emails don't allow access via POP3/IMAP - you have to go into the GMX email settings and activate it. Once you do that things work fine.

See the link below for their help page on how to do it.

https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/toggle.html
I already had the POP3/IMAP enabled.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
erhymer
erhymer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What worked for me

I used GMX to send books through Calibre for years until one day I got the same error message you did. I saw here in this thread that the error message meant that the user name and password weren't correct. Well, I hadn't changed them, so I was perplexed. I went on GMX.com and tried to login but the user name and password were not recognized. I tried to reset my password, but my user name was not recognized... Weird... I believe I got a message that if you haven't used the email in a long time, it won't work anymore. I would think using it with Calibre would be "using" it, but in any case, for whatever reason, my gmx email address was not working anymore. I signed up for another one and now I'm back in business using it as my email address in Calibre!
erhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Good to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhymer View Post
I used GMX to send books through Calibre for years until one day I got the same error message you did. I saw here in this thread that the error message meant that the user name and password weren't correct. Well, I hadn't changed them, so I was perplexed. I went on GMX.com and tried to login but the user name and password were not recognized. I tried to reset my password, but my user name was not recognized... Weird... I believe I got a message that if you haven't used the email in a long time, it won't work anymore. I would think using it with Calibre would be "using" it, but in any case, for whatever reason, my gmx email address was not working anymore. I signed up for another one and now I'm back in business using it as my email address in Calibre!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
anleva
Enthusiast
anleva began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhymer View Post
Same thing just happened to me. Odd that using it this way, and this way only, doesn't register as usage by GMX
anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I had exactly this problem with GMX and once your account has been disabled I couldn't get mine re-enabled. I have now switched to Zoho and that is currently working fine. I will have to wait and see if that is disabled after a while like GMX was.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
I had exactly this problem with GMX and once your account has been disabled I couldn't get mine re-enabled. I have now switched to Zoho and that is currently working fine. I will have to wait and see if that is disabled after a while like GMX was.
Yeah, I just did this. GMX became too unreliable. I think it eliminated my account and it's not even allowing me to create a new one. As in, I don't think the signup form is working at all.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
Yeah, I just did this. GMX became too unreliable. I think it eliminated my account and it's not even allowing me to create a new one. As in, I don't think the signup form is working at all.
Update: Zoho mail seems to be blocking this type of useage now.

Quote:
send: 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============8187822021558820976=="\r\ nMIME-Version: 1.0...
reply: '554 5.1.8 Email Outgoing Blocked. <a href=https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/usage-policy.html target=_blank>Learn more.</a>\r\n'
reply: retcode (554); Msg: 5.1.8 Email Outgoing Blocked. <a href=https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/usage-policy.html target=_blank>Learn more.</a>
data: (554, '5.1.8 Email Outgoing Blocked. <a href=https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/usage-policy.html target=_blank>Learn more.</a>')
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email to kindle