Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
lednaw
lednaw began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Unhappy Mars: Impossible to read pdfs of scanned books

Hi there!

I borrowed few scanned books from Archive.org in pdf formats. It's impossible for me to read these on my Likebook Mars. The files work fine on my computer, but on the e-ink reader it's just a headache :
For example one pdf is 35mb big, and it needs one and half minute to open, and if I want to jump to a specific page I do need to wait another minute to be able to read it. The same happens with other apps like Koreader etc. than the standard Boyue OS one.
The battery with wifi and bluetooth off is also draining pretty fast, when I try to read these pdfs.
Do you experience similar issues?

Thanks for your feedback!
lednaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
deynon
deynon began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use usually bigger pdf and I don't find such trouble. The bigger the file a bit slower it becomes, but nothing as sirious as your one.
deynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've encountered the occasional excessively complex PDFs from various sites, including Archive.org, that would give my old Kindle K3 fits. My quick-and-dirty fix has been to open them in a PDF viewer on my PC and print to disk as PDF using a "virtual printer". This creates a simple flattened PDF that my K3 has no difficulty with. Usually, the original PDFs were burdened with multiple layers and included some bitmap of textured paper as a page background.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Thelele
Thelele has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Likebook Mars
Try using k2pdfopt by another member here to reformat them?
Thelele is offline   Reply With Quote