Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Unhappy My KT lost its mind

I was reading my KT on the train today, and when I shut it down it turned off, then on, then off again with the screen stuck on a half-displayed cover. It wouldn't turn on again.

Battery was at 90% while I was reading earlier. At home I plugged it in to the charger, and it booted up and prompted me to set it up as a new unit. I connected in USB mode to the computer instead and saw that all the books were still there in the memory, so I backed them up by file copying just in case.

Then I went through 30 minutes of downloading a new version of Kobo Desktop, downloading all my ebook purchases again, and downloading a bunch of useless "recommendations" that I don't want before I could finally connect Kobo Desktop to the Kobo. After another 15 minutes of setup and syncing, it informed me that 1.9.16 firmware was installed (same version as it already had, not updated to 1.9.17 oddly), and displayed "Welcome to your new Kobo" and the default books shown as the most recent. However all my own books still appear to be there in the library, and it seems to have retained the bookmarks.

Update: Now I see why it didn't update the firmware version: it got stuck forever during sync on "Updating Reading Life". I clicked Eject and it said error, can't eject, but then went on to update the firmware. Now the firmware is at 1.9.17, but sync still gets stuck forever on "Updating Reading Life" if I plug it in again. All my reading stats are reset to zero.

Any clue what happened here? How could I recover from this fault if I wasn't at home? (fortunately I just arrived home from a long trip!)

I suppose I'm going to have to Factory Reset and start over, like everyone else seems to be doing. I was hoping I was one of the lucky few to avoid that, but I guess not! Maybe Kobo needs to invest a little more time and effort in database stability and recovery instead of adding links to Facebook.

Last edited by FJames; 04-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Sorry I have no idea what happened with your Kobo. Back when 1.9.16 was relatively new I had to reset multiple times and last year during the Storage Error issue I had to reset so many times that I stopped using the Kobo for several weeks. So far I have been lucky with 1.9.17

Like you I am also concerned that something like this will happen while I am travelling (without a computer) and would love to hear how to get back reading while away from home.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert