Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Feedback about Google eBooksore compared to other stores.

I'll try and keep this simple.

Amazon, PubIt, Kobo, Apple, Reader Store = logical upload procedures.

Google eBooks Partner Program = Leave you brains at the door if you want to do business with us.

Are there any MR members that have a successful book list at Google eBooks showing regular sales? After the steepest learning curve of any online book store to learn how to upload books and covers to sell titles I have been greatly disappointed that there hasn't been a single sale of any of the 12 titles in two months. Whereas sales in Amazon and Apple are going from strength to strength and B&N and Sony starting to move ahead, although much more slowly.

It seems to me that Google has a mentality of acquiring things, not selling things. Their book store seems to be a puzzle of book related areas, all with different services, which a "partner" has to navigate and gain a comprehension of all areas in order to do business with just the one area to sell eBooks.

Please add your experience below:
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
altorno
altorno doesn't litteraltorno doesn't litteraltorno doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It seems to me that Google has a mentality of acquiring things, not selling things.
an interesting thought! i have the feeling that they want to be part of every trend but then drop it if they aren't right on top with the big players. they also issued their own ereader but there has been no upgrade or whatsoever.

Last edited by altorno; 09-11-2012 at 04:30 AM.
altorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Did you call it the "Google eBooksore" on accident? Because it does seem to fit in this case.

banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Did you call it the "Google eBooksore" on accident? Because it does seem to fit in this case.

My first reaction was that he's really sore at how they treated him.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post

Irony by accident hahahah
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My experience there was terrible, and the way they displayed my book was so terrible that after I finally got it live and saw the results, I immediately removed it. And I am a dedicated Googler
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
As someone who uses most of the Google services and even bought an irivery StoryHD ereader so I could easily buy Google books and support a local bookstore in the process I thoroughly agree that Google has many problems. They want to be into everything but never provide the support or follow through to make any of these business extensions a success.

There's Google Books, the Google eBookstore and the Android Market Book Store. Not only are they not integrated but a particular book search in one bookstore may not find a book that is available in another Google bookstore. Pretty messed up if you ask me.

And like the original poster I've read numerous complaints from Authors trying to navigate and receive support from Google. It's a shame. Such good ideas and yet such poor execution. They need more operationally minded people to balance the creative people.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It seems to me that Google has a mentality of acquiring things, not selling things. Their book store seems to be a puzzle of book related areas, all with different services, which a "partner" has to navigate and gain a comprehension of all areas in order to do business with just the one area to sell eBooks.
There's an old saying anything worth doing is worth doing twice. I think google lives by this motto except they replaced twice with "ten fold".

Most of their services start as utter crap and then are developed to get better and better to the point they become best in class.

Their bookstore is no different. My first impression of their BookReader app and store was "Not worth my time". However some changes they have made are making their product much better to use. From a user perspective I think their purchasing process and syncronization is the best. Even better than Amazon. Their BookReader is good enough for basic reading, but their eReader is still not as good as Amazon or Moon+/Montano.

What I've found about Google is everything is great until you need customer/tech support then you are on your own because thier support is virtually non existent.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-09-2012 at 12:56 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I don't think that google is really interested in non-free and non-bestseller books. I think they put the bestsellers in there so it does not like sound like a project gutenberg ripoff. 3+ million free books and nyt bestsellers does sound appealing. Also the store is nicely tied into the android market and opens books directly from the market even. No surprise there. Plus having clouds and sync between all your devices does sound suspiciously like kindle. It appears to be more targeted towards non-eink android devices.

Sorry to hear that it is a pain for less than perfect established writers trying to publish though. Google has the potential money and technology wise to scare Amazon - and that is where they are headed, IMHO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
[...] And like the original poster I've read numerous complaints from Authors trying to navigate and receive support from Google. It's a shame. Such good ideas and yet such poor execution. They need more operationally minded people to balance the creative people.
The user interface and navigation smacks of being designed by engineers. When programmers design layout it is often functional though not always intuitive. Google is the master of this with huge buttons for items used the least and tiny hyperlinked text shoved away in the corner for the items most used. AND, IMO just plain ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There's an old saying anything worth doing is worth doing twice. I think google lives by this motto except they replaced twice with "ten fold".

Quote:

What I've found about Google is everything is great until you need customer/tech support then you are on your own because thier support is virtually non existent.

=X=
Oh it exists all right! Cue Twilight Zone or X Files music.

Customer service starts behind the "Contact Us" hyperlink. Click on it and enter a mirror maze of radio button decorated pages filled with yes and no options which is Google Help. Like a theme park water slide, Google Help spins you around and around with twist and turns and spits you out wondering where you have just been.

Tags
google ebooks, google editions, online retailers, publishing, upload problems