Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
JBL- Calibre ePub sometimes = "File too Large" Error

Sometimes, even though the ePub's internal .html files are split into the
smaller files, I get the "File Too Large" error when trying to read a Calibre
conversion from an "ereader2html" file/folder to an ePub file/ebook.

I must be missing something in the process.

Any tips?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. One work around I found is to go ereader2html>pdb>ePub, which
works fine (except that the apostrophe gets turned into a question mark
for some reason)

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-07-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: found a work around
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
it may be that the css file is too large. or the ncx file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess we are talking about the css and ncx files inside the ePub that Calibre
makes? Is there a way to tell Calibre to handle those files in the manner it does
when it is converting the html to pdb, then output as ePub?

Calibre makes ePub with acceptable sized internal files (for JetBook Lite) when converting from pdb to ePub.

I guess this means that Calibre creates better css and ncx files than "ereader2html"
does, when it converts from pdb? Also, that it isn't changing the css and ncx when it
is converting the html file/folder that ereader2html creates, into a ePub file?

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no way to restrict the size of NCX files (they dont support splitting) With CSS while technically possible, calibre doesn't support itas it is relatively rare.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well... it might not actually be the size of those files that is at the heart of the
problem, after all.

Calibre can turn the ereader2html output into a pdb file that it (calibre) can then
convert to an ePub file that the JetBook Lite can read without throwing a "File Too
Large" error. Any idea why it can't do it within one conversion?

I haven't tried Sigil yet, maybe it can turn the ereader2html output into a pdb file
that JBL can read without throwing the "File Too Large" error. If not, I can always
do it in Calibre with two conversions.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Same result with Sigil convertion of ereader2html output.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I should point out, to anyone following this thread, that I am only seeing this issue with
really big html books/structures. The book that started this thread is over 9MB that's but one 965KB .html file, and 270 .png files.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I've been using Calibre to split epubs with too large HTML files (such as the Feedbooks Proust files) into epubs usable on my Sony Reader. For some of these, the resultant files still didn't work with the Calibre's default settings but reducing the "Split files larger than" value further did the trick.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There seems to be more to it than that.

Adding the ereader2html resulting "book.html" to Calibre and converting it to .pdb, then
converting that .pdb to ePub I get the following internal structure to the ePub file:

<folder>images
<folder>META-INF
<files>:
content.opf
index_split_000.html
index_split_001.html
index_split_002.html
index_split_003.html
index_split_004.html
index_split_005.html
index_split_006.html
mimetype
stylesheet.css
titlepage.xhtml
toc.ncx

And that is it.

Where as, when using Calibre to convert the same "book.html" directly to ePub, I end
up with an ePub file that has a much different structure:

<folder>META-INF
then 18 .png files
book_split_000.html
through
book_split_010.html
calibre-logo.png
calibre-titlepage.xhtml
Then another 23 .png files
content.opf
Then another 224 .png files
mimetype
Then 3 more .png
stylesheet.css
then 2 .png
toc.ncx

--------------

It looks to me like maybe if Calibre could have made an images folder and provided
the index html when it did the conversion directly, it could make an ePub ebook that
wouldn't be seen as a "File To Large" to the JBL.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What OS does the JBL run?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I've read in posts here that the "JetBook" and the "JetBook Lite" (JBL) share the same
linux kernel. It is an embedded environment, as you are probably aware. There are
others here who have already taken a peek at the OS and can provide a better answer
than I. (These ereaders are all new to me.)

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; I believe it has an ARM9 series processor. The ARM9 has some native
support for a linux implementation, as I understand it. I have no idea what code
base they may have used to integrate a ebook reader into the OS. (I noticed
some earlier posts suggesting the FBreader might be the source.)

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-08-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: A late firing brain cell kicked in.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I asked because it maybe running into the "too many files in folder" problem that seems endemic to windows kernels/file systems. I suggest just using your workaround for the moment. calibre's conversion of html delibrately leaves the input file structure alone, to allow people that hand edit their files to preserve the structure.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

So far the JBL is handling FAT32, with no problem.

Having a way for the book author to control the structure is certainly a good approach.

You might consider an output option to allow selection of a structure like you used for
the .pdb to .ePub conversion. I think such an option might address issues for other
devices, in addition to the JBL.

Many Thanks for your efforts and for taking the time to keep us informed.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
labraid
labraid is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco jetBook
I was getting the same error, i just converter the epub to pdf and no probs since..
labraid is offline   Reply With Quote