Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple Special Event September 1st

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/25/apple-event-september/

Quote:
While Apple will only say that this is a “special event,” the image above makes it clear that just as with their events every September, this one will be mainly about music — or at least the iTunes ecosystem. At this event, Apple is widely expected to unveil (or at least talk about) their new iTV device — the next-generation Apple TV. And they may have a thing or two to say about an iTunes television show rental service.

And of course, you should also expect new iPod touches at this event. Maybe some with the shiny “retina” displays and front and back cameras — perfect for FaceTime.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope they introduce a 5" iPod touch with a battery that lasts as advertised. My current touch is a tad too small and the iPad is too big (and expensive).

Scuttlebut seems to be they will introduce iTV, but I cannot imagine much enthusiasm for that considering how Apple TV flopped. Besides, with cable, satellite, etc. offering DVRs, and with other options available for smartphones already established I wonder if that many people would be interested in a system undoubtedly only good for use on Apple hardware.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I agree, I can't see that many people ever being interested in the Apple TV stuff - except the Apple fanatics out there of course.

I would love to see a new iPod Touch with the retina display, forward and back facing cameras along with a built in microphone.

I make lot of recorded notes and having the headphones plugged in just for the mic is a real pain. The iPad has a built in mic so I see no reason technical or otherwise not to move this feature over to an iPod.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaize View Post
I agree, I can't see that many people ever being interested in the Apple TV stuff - except the Apple fanatics out there of course.
There are certainly much better media streaming devices available, I agree. Still, a new Apple offering would be more choice in the field, and that's always good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I'd be happy with no new hardware announcements, just an iPad 4.1 release. Alas, that does not seem to be in the offing.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Since the apple TV seems to have earned universal disdain, I'm wondering what you would suggest for someone that want near instant rental access to the latest releases of movies?
Something that avoids going out to Blockbuster or waiting for a Netflix dvd to arrive?

Tom
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
Since the apple TV seems to have earned universal disdain, I'm wondering what you would suggest for someone that want near instant rental access to the latest releases of movies?
Something that avoids going out to Blockbuster or waiting for a Netflix dvd to arrive?

Tom
Latest releases..I'm not sure. But Netflix Watch Instantly on the iPad/iPhone has been great for us...we've used the $9 Netflix DVD account for years, but most of my watching lately has been on the Watch Instantly thing. Might be worth browsing their site to see if any films available there interest you. http://www.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/Watch_Instantly/gev

(and of course, who knows what comes up Sept. 1st )
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post

Tom
I wouldn't say that the Apple TV has earned universal disdain. I have one and it does most of the job that I need it to. If all you want is rental access, then apple TV works just fine. Heck, most cable networks have decent rental now. The real issue is content. Studios have not release a lot of their backlist in a digital format for downloading, thus there are quite a few movies that no one has. As far as I can tell, iTunes and Netflix digital download have fairly similar catalogs.

My only issue with Apple TV is two fold. First, it doesn't support audible audio books and second it doesn't support Pandora.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote