Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
danceken
danceken began at the beginning.

Device: none
5 favorite books of all time

I need to read some new books. this will give me a good list, repeats are fine. My 5 are
Eragon
Book Thief
Wintersdance
Dairey of a Whiskey Robber
Twilight
danceken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Eragon? Really?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm not going to mention very well known books, e.g. The Hobbit, since you're presumably looking for books you wouldn't otherwise come across. And greatest five is too hard to choose from all the books I've read. So here's five that I'd definitely enjoy re-reading (again).

The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold
David Balfour (Kidnapped and Catriona) by Robert Louis Stevenson
Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword by Tee Morris
Ranks of Bronze by David Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceken View Post
I need to read some new books. this will give me a good list, repeats are fine. My 5 are
Eragon
Book Thief
Wintersdance
Dairey of a Whiskey Robber
Twilight
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was surprised too. Not in my top 5,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Eragon? Really?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My Top 5 (and I tried to look at this as, what books would I like to have with me if I were marooned on a desert island) is:

History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell
Germinal - Emile Zola
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Science: A History - John Gribbin
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
1.Don Quixote - Miguel Cervantes
2.Double Indemnity - James M Cain
3.Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
4.To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
5.Tortilla Flats - John Steinbeck

Special mention to: The Big Kiss Off of 1944 - Andrew Bergman (for purely sentimental reasons)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Lessee... in no particular order, knowing I'm forgetting some things...

Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
Denial of Death - Ernest Becker
Collected Short Stories - Chekhov
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
Critique of Reigion and Philosophy - Walter Kaufmann
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. To Sail Beyond the Sunset - Robert A. Heinlein
2. Q-Squared - Peter David
3. The Star Conquerors - Ben Bova
4. On A Pale Horse - Piers Anthony
5. The Cyborg and the Sorcerers - Lawrence Watt-Evans

I'd put Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman on the list, but I like them mostly for their short stories, not their novels.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What Should I Read Next?

Go here: http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/books/search
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm going to limit it to books I've read and reread many times over the years, and in no particular order.

Father of the Bride - Edward Streeter
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
Watchmen - Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons
Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Website seems to be erroring out at the moment, but I've used it before.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Watchmen - Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons
Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
Well, if we were going to include comic books, then naturally I'd list Watchmen and The Dark Knight. And then one of the Sandman collections, probably...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
1. Shogun - James Clavell
2. Glory Road - Robert Heinlein
3. Tao Te Ching - Lao Tsu
4. The Complete Works of Robert Frost
5. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Hard.. Lotta books on these lists that I'd have in a top 25 or 50.. Gonna leave out manga because it's hard enough to pick 5 without considering Adachi Mitsuru.

Patrick O'Brian - Aubrey/Maturin series, Book 1 (actually the 2nd book in the series, Post Captain but like someone said, the 21 book series is like one very long book to me too so M&C is the beginning)

P.G. Wodehouse - Leave It To Psmith

Dorothy Dunnett - Pawn in Frankincense, Vol 5 of The Game of Kings

C.J. Cherryh - The Pride of Chanur

Sir Walter Scott - Ivanhoe

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I couldn't warm up to the Lymond Chronicles at all but loved The House of Niccolo series; have all of those. Neither series is available on Kindle, alas. They're big books and it would nice to have them neatly contained on your e-reader.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote