Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Jary316
Jary316 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Having problem finding the eBook I want to buy.

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing your forum with the search function but was not really successful, so I thought I'd start a new topic because I am having a hard time finding the books I'm looking for.

I have a Sony Reader PRS-500 and I am looking to buy a couple of books until I take my plane. I have not found any of the books that I was looking for in the Sony eBook Store.

I am looking to buy about 2 books for my Reader, one about C# and one Java.
In fact, I already have a pretty good idea about what I want, but I am having a hard time finding those books in an eBook format, and if so, I'm not sure they will be in a good quality to be read on my Sony Reader.

In a nutshell, I am looking for Head First C# (http://tinyurl.com/6ajcmh), C# 3.0 in a Nutshell (http://tinyurl.com/6nzuw9) and Head First Java, 2nd Edition(http://tinyurl.com/6p4xxj). All the links refer to Amazon.

First of all, I'd like to ask you if Amazon Kindle's file do work with my Sony Reader? I think the answer is no and I am sure this have been asked a million times already but I could not find any answer with the search tool.

Secondly, well, could you give me a site where I could find any (or even better) all the books I'm looking for. In fact, if the books I am looking for do not exist in an eBook format, then I'd like a good site with a lot of programming books. I'd rather pay more for the eBook but have more choice and (maybe), some customers reviews, rather than more hassle.

I am sorry to bother you but I was not able to find good eBook stores with a lot of content, or I am not sure if those eBooks have the right file format my eReader (there is some sort of lack of description on some eBook stores, apparently).

I apologize to bother you and thank you very much in advance.
Sincerely,
Jary
Jary316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have you tried a google search : such as : Head First C# ebook; I've come up with a number of links (some legal some not) - but if you look here; you can confirm that is the book you are looking for.

Sorry I cannot comment on its compatability with the Sony Reader...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
I would suggest taking a look in the O'reilly website. They have the best programming books.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Jary316

Thank you GeoffC and haridasi for your answers.

I have tried looking for the books on Google, all the results are illegal downloads. I got so tired after looking for legal sources that I gave a go at some files, including the one you linked me to. I have a couple of issues. It is in a .PDF format of above 70 megabytes.
My Sony Reader has less than 100 megabytes of hard space, so I can put only head first C#, but all the other books are above 100 megabytes. The bad thing with Head First C# is that it is pretty unreadable with my reader (the text is too bright).

I have also tried putting those books on my iPhone wirelessly with DataCase, but the .PDF are too big and they simply crash the phone.

haridasi: This sites looks great and indeed, it has a lot of programming books! My only issue is that I can only buy them in a print format. I have made a free 14 days trial with "Safari books", but I can only access the books online. I am limited to download only one paragraph of one book, and not the whole book. Any idea please?

Again, I'm looking forward for your help and I want to press how thankful I am.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
o'reilly has started to publish ebooks in multi-format, drm-free bundles at reasonable prices. so far only a small number are available since they are looking for ways to resolve problems of how to display some formatting like monospace fonts (code) and complex tables in ebook format, however they will progressively make more and more available. i suggest you definitely keep and eye on them and check back from time to time (or perhaps they have a newsletter you can sign up for) since they are a very well respected publishing house for such subjects and have an excellent approach to ebooks as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Jary316

Thanks.

I've kept looking but I haven't found any solution for my plane so far. I guess there is none.