Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #16
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Yes you can see the charging light from the case. Here is a pic of my voyage in my case, so you can see for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	140353  
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Patrick, I really like this case and will recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGO3FAK

It feels nice, it looks nice, and adds thickness that makes it easier to hold the Voyage.
Thanks for the tip on the case. I ordered a Voyage today from Amazon and added that case to the order.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Yes you can see the charging light from the case. Here is a pic of my voyage in my case, so you can see for yourself.
I would take you word for it, Haydnfan. I was shocked to get a Moko case that had the light behind the frame. I had to carve it out with my knife.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #19
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Coming to the original question of which is better, what stores have both the newest PW and Voyager. I want to experience it seeing in a store before buying one. For me the screen clarity isd utmost importance as I want to have least strain as I have issues with my eyes. Vision ot that good, so clarity is important. Both Voyage and PW3 have same ppi. so I dont understand the contrast is better on Voyage argument.

any thoughts who have both which is better for people who are aging
rpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You could always order both and return the one you don't like (or return both if you like neither). Even seeing in a store is not necessarily going to give you the information you need, as you cannot control the lighting and demo units might not be up to snuff. Plus you probably need more time with them to evaluate than you'd have in a store.

I have not seen either device but it is not the same screen: the top layer is different and most people report text 'pops' more on the Voyage. Specifically, Voyage has a glass layer, Paperwhite has plastic layer.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #21
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpv View Post
Both Voyage and PW3 have same ppi. so I dont understand the contrast is better on Voyage argument.
It's not an argument, it's an observation.

Resolution and contrast are really not the same thing. Contrast is the ratio of luminance of white to luminance of black displayed by a screen. For example, my pc monitor is an IPS panel and has a white level 1,000 times brighter than black making the native contrast 1,000:1. My tv is an SPVA panel and has a white level that is 5,000 times brighter than black making the native contrast 5,000:1. They both have resolutions of 1920x1080, yet one contrast is five times the other.

Similarly two eink readers with the same resolution can have dissimilar native contrasts. Myself included, it seems that every poster that owns both has given the nod to the Voyage for having better contrast. With multiple separate observations of one having better contrast than the other, it just might be true overall.

I don't think that the PW's screen is inferior though. It's screen is the closest I've seen to eink looking like paper. The flush screen on the Voyage really pops, but it doesn't remind me at all of what paper looks like.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpv View Post
Coming to the original question of which is better, what stores have both the newest PW and Voyager. I want to experience it seeing in a store before buying one. For me the screen clarity isd utmost importance as I want to have least strain as I have issues with my eyes. Vision ot that good, so clarity is important. Both Voyage and PW3 have same ppi. so I dont understand the contrast is better on Voyage argument.

any thoughts who have both which is better for people who are aging
are there best buy stores in your area? in the los angeles area, the best buy stores have a table just for the kindle models.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Do any of the PW's or Voyage play MP3 files? I still used my Kindle Keyboard as I love the page turn buttons and MP3 player for audio books.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Do any of the PW's or Voyage play MP3 files? I still used my Kindle Keyboard as I love the page turn buttons and MP3 player for audio books.
No, the last Kindle that supported audio was the Kindle Touch.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
If I wanted to listen to an audible book I'd use my cell phone. It has Bluetooth and I could use my wireless earbuds.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best ebooks, kindle, paperwhite, upgrade, version