Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Yanv
Yanv began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle as a second monitor question

hi
i read an article on the net about using kindle dx graphite as a second monitor and want to buy kindle dx graphite with 2.5.5
to use it as a second monitor because my eyes can't stand pc screen. but so far the one i found for sale
has later, updated version of OS ( anyway its original OS ver. was 2.8). Does anybody know is there a source where i can download ver 2.5.5?

also nowadays are there any other ways to use anything with e ink as a second monitor?
Yanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanv View Post
hi
i read an article on the net about using kindle dx graphite as a second monitor and want to buy kindle dx graphite with 2.5.5
to use it as a second monitor because my eyes can't stand pc screen. but so far the one i found for sale
has later, updated version of OS ( anyway its original OS ver. was 2.8). Does anybody know is there a source where i can download ver 2.5.5?

also nowadays are there any other ways to use anything with e ink as a second monitor?
*** You are going to have to be much more specific - say, post a link

** Firmware version 2.8 (the last / latest) is fine for **OUR** postings, I can't say about your unspecified posting.

* Yes, look at the various VNC threads (and maybe web-search to learn what VNC is all about).
Here is a place to start the learning at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

Last edited by knc1; 06-20-2014 at 09:35 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Errm - it's firmware 2.5.8, right? The state of VNC on the Kindles is not nice IMHO. Yes, you can manage it to work. Barely. Update lag is annoying. Network problems/cuts on the DX make that undertaking a bit frustrating (as can be seen in the last active thread about DX as external monitor). As it is, that are also the reasons why making the VNC client more user friendly and stable has very low priority for me.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, 2.5.8
I just repeated the typo in the reply.

= = = = =

The on-line article in question is this one:
http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html

Last edited by knc1; 06-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote