Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bragging on Cover Artist

So years ago I release a book with this cover:

Then I found Melody @ http://ebookindiecovers.com/ and she made this:

And she did that well over a month a go, and I updated my ebook's cover with it it but only this Sunday tried to get it on the print edition and found out the text was just a bit close to the edge and got cropped. I emailed her at 12:40pm thinking that I would hear back some time on Monday/Tuesday, but instead she had a fix to me by 1:30pm which seems to have worked perfect (looks good on line, waiting on physical proof now).

So I just wanted to brag on her a bit. The entire process with her was fast, and easy. Would recommend her to anyone. Found her through random searching and I have no relationship with her outside of this one and only transaction.

Last edited by VydorScope; 07-01-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Putting smaller image inplace
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
One thing that stands out to me from the link you provided is the impressive variety in her work. All good quality but they don't all look the same - which is the case with some others I've looked at.

And I do think your new cover is worth bragging about.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Very Nice!! And MUCH better than the original...makes me want to go look it up!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Very Nice!! And MUCH better than the original...makes me want to go look it up!
Thanks!

I was wondering if you were still around and would see this thread.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Bookmarked for future reference
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Whilst the second cover is certainly a big improvement over the first, I don’t think the way the type is handled on the second cover is particularly good. In many ways it’s actually quite amateurish and shows some quite basic errors in typographic layout.

If you’re you’re going to treat ‘of an’ in the title in that way (one stacked on top of the other) you really need to ensure that type block either aligns correctly with Enemy or deliberately recede it back by making it smaller. At the moment OF sticks above the height line of ENEMY and it creates visual disharmony.

The whole of the title ‘The Enemy of an Enemy’ is poorly considered and fights with the rest of the type on the page for dominance.

I’m sorry to say it, but whoever designed that cover severely lacks an understanding of typographic layout.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Vince, I bought your books with the old covers, and I agree the old covers were nothing to brag about. I also agree that this new cover is a major improvement. But, alas, I have to agree somewhat with HoraceWimp.

The title of the book is "The Enemy of an Enemy" and not "Enemy" yet it is the second iteration of "Enemy" that hits you in the face and draws the attention of the eye. In addition, because the gap is so large between "The Enemy" and "of an Enemy", "The Enemy" doesn't seem, to the eye, to be part of the title. The title seems to be "Of an Enemy".

Also, capitalizing "of an", even though in smaller type, gives emphasis to "of an" and helps make it look as if the book title is "Of an Enemy", not "The Enemy of an Enemy".

Given the choice between the original and this cover, I would vote for this cover. And if finances are a concern, I would leave this cover as it is, but recognize that it is better than the original but not great/perfect typographically. If finances are not a problem, I would ask the designer to work on the typographical problems.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful. New cover is much better, IMO.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote