Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
davehallett
davehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle 4 Wifi
Kindle files keep returning "from the grave"

This is really bizarre, and I have no idea what is going on. My wifi-only K4, seems to be stuck at the same collection of files no matter what I do. (edited to add: vanilla, no hacks, unrooted, used for about a year with no problems)

I've tried deleting them by hand. I've tried a Factory Reset. I've connected it up by USB and deleted everything that seems remotely safe out of the user storage area (and yes, I had show Hidden Files and Show System Files turned on). Windows 7, by the way. Total drive contents remaining, about 728 KB.

Every time, when I reboot it's back to the same file contents, including Search Indices and everything. Same collections. And it forgets my wifi password, just for fun. Total drive contents now 118 MB. Where can they be coming from? Kindle has been in airplane mode the whole time, btw.

Strangely, the first time I tried deleting all the files yesterday, it seemed to work. I added some back from Amazon, sideloaded some from Calibre, all was fine. Now today nothing I do makes any difference.

The only other clue is that one time I looked at the drive in Windows I saw some kind of update file in the root directory. I didn't touch it. Later it was gone.

Anyone have any idea?? Googling for hours has brought up nothing.

Thanks!

Last edited by davehallett; 04-06-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Clarification of Kindle as k$
davehallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I seem to recall a thread similar to this. But damned if I can find it.

I'll PM you some ideas in the next few just mid stupid update brb
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
That might have been my thread. Some time ago I had this problem with screensavers I'd put in the linkss folder returning after I'd deleted them. I never found a solution to the problem and have since passed the K3 on to my son, who hasn't complained about it, so I guess it has gone away.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah yes, I believe it was!

I PM'd him a few simple tests.
See what falls out
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
davehallett
davehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and gracedavehallett herds cats with both ease and grace

Sorry about the delay in responding, I'm in the UK and had gone to bed! Trying twobob's suggestions now, will come back when completed.
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
twobob

You crazy Englanders!

Wall charger mate.. think BIG charge
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
davehallett

Update: charging for 24h makes no difference. Whatever I do to any file, when I reboot the entire disk is restored to its exact previous state, or so it appears.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Why don't you use Kubrick to do a clean install on it.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
davehallett

Just looked that up. Yes, it seems like a possible solution. Thanks.

OTOH, I would dearly love to know what is going on here, because it's quite possibly the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I should probably add that a couple of days ago, I did manage to make some changes. Got rid of these files, put some new books on. Could read the new books. Everything was fine. Then rebooted, and back to square one. So I don't think it's some kind of "dummy hard drive" phenomenon where I'm not really making any changes. Everything seems to indicate that 118 MB of data (or more likely, a complete disk image) really are being stored elsewhere on the machine and restored to the user area at reboot.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of broken update process, but only if imaging the existing disk is part of that process, which I doubt (why bother?).

So I'd like a working Kindle, but I'd also like to solve the mystery!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish i could help you with the problem, but i have no idea.

Just one question tho, why are you having to reboot the device?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
davehallett

The original problem was with Kindle refusing to open certain files, and recommending that I delete them and download them again. But when I did "Remove from device", nothing happened. I think this happened both with Amazon purchases and sideloaded mobi files, though I'm not certain now. So I rebooted because people often recommend this to solve that problem, and later tried deleting all the documents to make sure I had got rid of whatever file was causing the problem (stuck indexing, maybe, though there's never been strong evidence of that). That seemed to work at first, and then a day later started getting into the current weirdness. Now of course I just reboot to confirm that the problem is still there.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
alanHd
Addict

Ok, i get that, its like when your leg hurts and you have to keep moving it just to make sure it still hurts lol.

How are you deleting the content, are you using Calibre to manage it.

Edit
Its a daft question but you havent got any auto backup/imaging software on your Pc have you

Last edited by alanHd; 04-06-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
davehallett

I may have tried Calibre, but currently it's installed just in case it made a difference (it doesn't). I'll put it back in a bit.

I've tried deleting directly from the Kindle (most files appear to go, but then return later) but mostly I've done it by USB in W7. it doesn't seem to matter.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
alanHd
Addict

Its beyond me i'm afraid, but there are some really clever people on here who might know.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
OK, let's try to take a logical approach to this:

1. Books are inside the "documents" folder on the USB drive. If they're there, they show up on the device. If the directory is empty, then nothing will show up on the Kindle.
2. You say that your device is in airplane mode all the time, so it's impossible that files are automagically synced from the network.
3. You say that you deleted the files on the USB drive.
4. And yet, somehow these files mysteriously re-appear on the Kindle.

Conclusion: there are exactly three possibilities: a) the files weren't really deleted in the first place, or b) they were, but some process on your Windows box keeps putting them back. c) would be that your Kindle has super powers and can create meaningful content out of thin air.

Concerning a): make sure that the files are actually deleted. I believe using Shift+delete will irrevocably delete files (as opposed to just putting them to Trash) on Windows ("I believe" because I don't do Windows). Just in case: make sure that you properly safely eject the drive - don't just pull the cable!

Concerning b): make sure that you're not running some funky software which would be doing such things. What comes to mind is some automated backup solution or something running havoc.

Concerning c): patent it and make billions.

Finally, you could try to re-format the USB partition. Maybe it's corrupted (which might explain such weird behavior).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote