Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #496
peterbruells
peterbruells doesn't litterpeterbruells doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
You say you reapplied the python package (it actually survives the update but reapplying does no harm)...you did re-install the screensaver hack, correct? Have you done a restart via menu>settings>restart with the device not connected by usb cable since applying the hack?
Yes. I do and did these installations like this.

1. Mount Kindle
2. Put appropriate bin-File into / (Well, actually /Volumes/Kindle/ )
3. Unmount Kindle
4. Remove cable
5. Start Kindle
6. Check that „Kindle aktualisieren“ (I guess that's „Update Kindle“) is active
7. Do that

I applied the packakes in the following order since I encountered the problem:

* python (Gor an error that the update failed, a 0.3 or 3.0)

After reading your post that the jailbreak and python survived,

* links
* python
* links

After each step I opened a new book (I've got plenty of pulps I haven't used on the Paperwhite yet. ) and left them open long enough for linkss to do its magic.

I just now made sure that I did a device restart, too.

To no avail - still only the boring old screensavers.

Last edited by peterbruells; 04-05-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Trying to get rid of whitespace at top
peterbruells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #497
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Do you have a SO (Special Offers) Kindle ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #498
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@peterbruells-
I'm at a loss as to what to tell you. If your PW is not an SO as knc1 asked (screensaver hack won't work if it is), then I guess I would redo everything without skipping steps - JB with certificates/rescue pack/kindlet jailbreak and then reinstall screensaver hack and python paying EXTREMELY close attention that you are applying the correct bin files. You have got to be doing/installing something incorrectly. Sorry.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #499
reallpw
reallpw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
HI Thread owner,

Can you please explain the function of random and shuffle a little?

I remember that before the hack, Kindle paperwhite displays a different screensaver once maybe an hour. but now it just dispalys the same screen until i turned it on.

thanks,
Puwen
reallpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #500
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@reallpw-
I'm not the 'thread owner' but I'll try to answer. The screensavers are not really screensavers but images that are displayed after a certain amount of time of no activity or when the PW goes into 'sleep mode' either by pushing the power button or by the application of a magnet. The images are stagnant and do not 'roll' over time; the same image is displayed until the PW is used again. This is the way the 'screensavers' always act and has nothing to do with the behavior from the hack. All the hack does is to allow you to utilize your own images or book cover images.
The Random and Shuffle aspect just adjusts/changes the order in which the images are displayed.
Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #501
peterbruells

Quote:
@peterbruells-
I'm at a loss as to what to tell you. If your PW is not an SO as knc1 asked (screensaver hack won't work if it is), then I guess I would redo everything without skipping steps - JB with certificates/rescue pack/kindlet jailbreak and then reinstall screensaver hack and python paying EXTREMELY close attention that you are applying the correct bin files. You have got to be doing/installing something incorrectly. Sorry.
It is indeed not a SO. It's not even sold in Germany and I fully agree with the stance that SO owners should cough up the money to get rid of the adverts.

It worked before, after all, too.

Apart from the jailbreak, I did everything the same way as I did the first time and when the update God punished me last time for turning on WiFi in December.

As I mentioned above, the jailbreak I used didn't require me install certificates, etc - it was just a special mobi file where I had to touch a page in a specific manner. It's from ixtab, as far as I can tell by the README.txt.

Well, I guess I'll be trying an uninstall next and reinstall next Monday or so.

Thx
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #502
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@peterbruells-
Weird sounding JB...you might try posting in the PW JB thread as ixtab is lurking around and can likely help. When you do get things working, could you post back here how you fixed things so if someone else has a similar issue they see what you did? Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #503
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
That's an easy one: the jailbreak includes the developer certificates. But they are normally lost when the firmware is upgraded, so if you do have some hacks which depend on them, you need to either reinstall them, or re-jailbreak. All of that is stated in the JB thread, and even the README.

That said, this (Screensavers) hack does not depend on the dev certs, but is known to cause issues after a FW update. I'm not its maintainer -- in fact, I never installed it because I don't care about screensavers, so I don't know why that is. But as far as I'm aware, it started working again for most people who simply uninstalled, then reinstalled it. So maybe try that (including the "uninstall" step).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #504
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

See....mention the name ixtab and *poof*! (though it is a little creepy ). If I ask for a latte, how long does that take?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #505
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
See....mention the name ixtab and *poof*! (though it is a little creepy ). If I ask for a latte, how long does that take?
What else did you expect from a goddess of the Maya?

I'm going to silently ignore that little coffee blasphemy though.

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #506
ic0n0klast
ic0n0klast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad Mini 2
Thank you for the ability to customize the paperwhite However, I have a total n00b question. I have version 5.3.4, not SO, I've installed the jailbreak, the python script, and the linkss files as instructed. All were successful. I can pop my own image successfully into the screensaver folder and it works fine. However, I want it to display the cover of the last book opened, and all the readme says is "drop a blank file called cover in the folder". Here's my n00b question: how do I create a blank cover file??? In which folder? The linkss one has many subfolders. I assume you mean the screensavers one. I tried: a) creating an empty text file (windows btw) And making png the extension and naming it cover. This just gives me a screenshot of whatever is displayed at the time (book, menu, whatever) and no overlay. Then i created a blank (white) png in photoshop and named it cover, but when i placed it in the screensavers folder and restarted, it reverted back to the default kindle screensavers. At that point I just put a random image, made sure it was the proper resolution and png, and then put that in there. After restarting, i have that random image as my screensaver. While technically I can live with this, manually googling cover images and changing them every time I start a new book, I'd prefer to make use of this function that does it automatically. What am I doing wrong? "Create a blank file" sounds like the easiest thing in the world to know, but I really have no idea. Thanks!
ic0n0klast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #507
peterbruells

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0n0klast View Post
Thank you for the ability to customize the paperwhite However, I have a total n00b question. I have version 5.3.4, not SO, I've installed the jailbreak, the python script, and the linkss files as instructed. All were successful. I can pop my own image successfully into the screensaver folder and it works fine. However, I want it to display the cover of the last book opened, and all the readme says is "drop a blank file called cover in the folder". Here's my n00b question: how do I create a blank cover file???
On UNIX it would be simply "touch cover". But even on Windows you should be able to open a text editor and save an empty file named "cover". Or you could duplicate the file auto-reboot and rename it to cover.

It really isn't a cover, just a file named "cover", which existence tells the hack in what mode to run. I guess checking a file's existence is easier - in terms of computing power - than to open and read a file and parse a configuration.

Oh, and it need to be in the linkss/ directory, where the cover-cache/ directory and all the other stuff is.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #508
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0n0klast View Post
Thank you for the ability to customize the paperwhite However, I have a total n00b question. I have version 5.3.4, not SO, I've installed the jailbreak, the python script, and the linkss files as instructed. All were successful. I can pop my own image successfully into the screensaver folder and it works fine. However, I want it to display the cover of the last book opened, and all the readme says is "drop a blank file called cover in the folder". Here's my n00b question: how do I create a blank cover file??? In which folder? The linkss one has many subfolders. I assume you mean the screensavers one. I tried: a) creating an empty text file (windows btw) And making png the extension and naming it cover. This just gives me a screenshot of whatever is displayed at the time (book, menu, whatever) and no overlay. Then i created a blank (white) png in photoshop and named it cover, but when i placed it in the screensavers folder and restarted, it reverted back to the default kindle screensavers. At that point I just put a random image, made sure it was the proper resolution and png, and then put that in there. After restarting, i have that random image as my screensaver. While technically I can live with this, manually googling cover images and changing them every time I start a new book, I'd prefer to make use of this function that does it automatically. What am I doing wrong? "Create a blank file" sounds like the easiest thing in the world to know, but I really have no idea. Thanks!
Blank File == a file with zero contents, not even a blank line.
The entire file is 'blank' of any contents. Whatever you use to create it does not matter - since it contains nothing.

I.E: Just the name - **WITHOUT** an extension (enable "view known extensions" in windows to be certain).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #509
peterbruells

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That's an easy one: the jailbreak includes the developer certificates. But they are normally lost when the firmware is upgraded, so if you do have some hacks which depend on them, you need to either reinstall them, or re-jailbreak. All of that is stated in the JB thread, and even the README.
Well, word on the street was that the jailbreak survives the update. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That said, this (Screensavers) hack does not depend on the dev certs, but is known to cause issues after a FW update. I'm not its maintainer -- in fact, I never installed it because I don't care about screensavers, so I don't know why that is. But as far as I'm aware, it started working again for most people who simply uninstalled, then reinstalled it. So maybe try that (including the "uninstall" step).

Hmm… there aren't any uninstall-bins. I guess I'll wait a bit for Nijule's input before I start analyzing the scripts.

Though the horrlble Amazon images are getting on my nerves. It was so cool to see the cover of the current book…
Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #510
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
@ ic0n0klast
unzip this.

use.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cover.zip (108 Bytes, 148 views)

Last edited by twobob; 04-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch