Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how inflated does this make the eBook count from Amazon based on these sorts of eBooks?
It is a good question, isn't it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #47
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I see from the Amazon's totals by category for the Kindle includes 1,546 ebooks under "Literary Fiction". After scanning the books in that category, my guess is that half or more of all the public domain titles that they sell would be in there together with some more modern literary titles. There are some public domain titles in other categories (e.g., Thoreau's "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience" is in Politics and Current Events) but I think we can probably assume that there are only a thousand or so possible titles total that have multiple editions assuming all of these would be public domain titles like Moby Dick. That means Amazon's totals would be reduced by only one or two percent at most if you subtracted all of these.

So then the question is how many of Amazon's totals are self-published books like SEEXY which is described as "Hot, Hot, Hot Politics by SEEXY" or "Pragati" published by Nationalinterest.in. I can only guess that these will usually be rather cheap titles. If you sort the categories by cost from low to high, you'll see that there aren't many titles in each category that are less than a dollar or two. But it's hard to tell without a downloadable database.

So my guess is that removing self-published titles and those with multiple editions brings Amazon's ebook total down to maybe like 92,000 to 95,000 from their listed total of 97,053 today. Also, I don't want to pick on self-published titles. I just think people would find a total of more conventional fare of more use in judging if they're likely to find something at Amazon that they want to read.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #48
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I noticed Amazon seems to push publishers to release their books for the Kindle, with a link just under the product image "Find out how to publish your own Kindle Books". I think this is a major push to get a hugh e-book catalog created very fast.

2 cents,
F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #49
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the past two weeks, Sony has added about 2000 new titles (up 6.4%) and now has about 32,000 ebooks for sale at their eBook Library site. The categories that have increased the most in this period are Fiction and Literature, Biographies, Religion, and Health/Mind/Body. If Sony were to continue adding about 800 titles per week, as they have done consistently since September, they would have over 70,000 ebooks for sale by the end of this year. This compares to about 95,000 ebooks currently for sale by Amazon for the Kindle.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the past two weeks, Sony has added about 2000 new titles (up 6.4%) and now has about 32,000 ebooks for sale at their eBook Library site. The categories that have increased the most in this period are Fiction and Literature, Biographies, Religion, and Health/Mind/Body. If Sony were to continue adding about 800 titles per week, as they have done consistently since September, they would have over 70,000 ebooks for sale by the end of this year. This compares to about 95,000 ebooks currently for sale by Amazon for the Kindle.
I know it's not quite the same since they aren't available from Sony directly, but if you add the Multiformat titles from Fictionwise, most of which are part of that Amazon number, then there is a higher number of titles for the Reader than there first appears to be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #51
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I know it's not quite the same since they aren't available from Sony directly, but if you add the Multiformat titles from Fictionwise, most of which are part of that Amazon number, then there is a higher number of titles for the Reader than there first appears to be.
Yes, I agree with you that if you add titles from alternative sources to what Sony and Amazon sell, you would get larger and somewhat more comparable figures. Fictionwise and even MR helps that. But I track the Sony and Amazon figures because I am anxious to see them get serious by making substantial increases in their ebooks offerings because I think they are the two vendors that will have the greatest likelihood of catalyzing that change in the industry.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #52
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I spent the last couple days on the sony store website requesting titles that are not carried. I don't know if I will see any of them but it would make my buying choice easier. I would hope everyone that shopped there would do that if they could not find the title they were searching for. I know opinions vary on DRM protections But if you want to see increased content you have to let them know.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #53
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I spent the last couple days on the sony store website requesting titles that are not carried. I don't know if I will see any of them but it would make my buying choice easier. I would hope everyone that shopped there would do that if they could not find the title they were searching for. I know opinions vary on DRM protections But if you want to see increased content you have to let them know.
Yes agree! That is the way we possibly can influence them! I sent them a list of 10 books today that I couldn't find there. Not sure how serious they take our requests though, have a feeling they have their own publishing strategy.

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
They'll probably take your requests seriously provided there's an ebook of the title you want in other formats already (then they just have to contact the publisher to get an lrx version OK'd). If the ebook needs to be created from scratch I'm sure all they can do is pass the request on to the publisher and some publishers are more responsive to ebooks than others.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #55
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I had my PRS505 for 3 days now. I was considering the Kindle and Sony. I love the look of the Sony more but what made me decide to go with Sony is my favorite author. I searched for his books for the Kindle and there was only 3 available, while the Connect Store had 22 of his books. His name is Dean Koontz. I can't believe Amazon only has 3 Koontz books available when he is so popular. But most of all I could not believe how many more books of his at the Connect store! I already downloaded 14 of them, 3 where offered as a bundle!
I know this is an older post but I just ran across it. The Kindle store lists two dozen Koontz books most with production dates from the summer. There's one newer book dated November 27. I suppose maybe they weren't all there when you checked back in December but I just had to go look because I could've sworn that I'd seen way more than three even back then.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #56
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
All the titles I requested to be added to the sony store were available on other formats either secure mobipocket or secure MS reader.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #57
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I know this is an older post but I just ran across it. The Kindle store lists two dozen Koontz books most with production dates from the summer. There's one newer book dated November 27. I suppose maybe they weren't all there when you checked back in December but I just had to go look because I could've sworn that I'd seen way more than three even back then.
You're right. They there now, but when I was making a choice on what reader to buy, they only had 3. I did post a comment on the Amazon messageboard about the Kindle and their lack of Koontz books. I compared their Koontz content to Sony Connect store. That's probably why they added some more.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #58
SFReader
SFReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post
The Kindle's impact on Sony will all depend on how committed Sony is to this product line. This is basically a format war. Kindle books can't be loaded on a Sony reader, and vice versa (for now). So its like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. We've seen Sony go to great lengths to try and assure the success of Blu-Ray. If they go to the same lengths here, I think we'll see large increases in the availability of content. I hope so any way, since I JUST ordered my 505. I'd hate to see the Kindle wipe it out.
As of a few days ago (couple of weeks?) HD-DVD appears to be losing. However, Sony is well established in the video appliance market, and has a lot of experience (Betamax anyone?) in format wars. They DO know how to win.

Unfortunately, Amazon means books to many people, and they have hidden all ebook formats except Kindle, as far as I can tell. Before I bought my PRS, I remember noticing eBooks for sale on Amazon. When I saw the PRS (display was actually a PRS 500, didn't know I got the 2nd gen til I got home), the 'gadget' factor sucked me in... I assumed that the market was out there for ebooks.

Unfortunately, the Connect store is full of genre's I do not care much for, and even within the SF&F sections it does not have very good coverage. Orson Scott Card is missing, and not only is he an award winning SF author, his new book is part of a planned collection in multiple medias. Not available on Connect, or in eBook format of any sort, that I could find.
SFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #59
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks, Sony has added about 3800 new titles (up almost 12%) and now has close to 36,000 ebooks for sale at their eBook Library site. The new titles include 1126 short stories that sell for $0.50 each and are mostly SciFi, Fantasy, Mysteries, Thrillers, and Horror.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #60
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past three weeks (sorry I'm a week late), Sony has added about 1500 new titles to their ebook store (an increase of 4.2%) and they now have about 37,000 ebooks for sale. The largest percentage increases were in the categories of Science/Nature, Technology, and Health/Mind/Body.

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!