Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Jude2444
Jude2444 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Got my ereader!

Hi all,
After much research I finally decided on the Sony PRS650. It was a tossup between a Sony and the Kindle 3, but I wanted to be able to borrow ebooks from the library and when I saw the 650, I was impressed by the touch screen. I managed to download a few books last night, a major achievement. Thanks to all for their input. It was very helpful.
Jude2444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Gratz!
I got my kindle 3 last monday and I am 1 happy camper
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What other factors led you to make this selection, besides the ability to borrow ebooks? My only qualm about the Sony PRS is that its proprietary, need to buy the books from Sony.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
My K3 is due by USPS today. I chose mine based on the larger Amazon library combined with the availability of Calibre and other conversion tools to handle PDF, HTML and ePub. Most of my casual reading is Sci-Fi and mystery. I do read philosophical works but usually prefer a hard copy for future reference. That may change once I learn how to use the recall features on the K3. I don't plan on selling the bookcases in my home.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My only qualm about the Sony PRS is that its proprietary, need to buy the books from Sony.
Sony now uses the ePUB format--has for awhile now. You can buy books from anyplace that sells non-DRM ePUB or ePUB with ADE books. Exceptions would be places like Barnes and Noble which have a proprietary flavour of Adobe Digital Editions DRM. Lots of Sony owners buy from Kobo Books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Sony now uses the ePUB format--has for awhile now. You can buy books from anyplace that sells non-DRM ePUB or ePUB with ADE books. Exceptions would be places like Barnes and Noble which have a proprietary flavour of Adobe Digital Editions DRM. Lots of Sony owners buy from Kobo Books.
Actually, I would point out that Barnes and Noble's flavor of Adobe is not that proprietary. Its just at the moment, most ebook readers have chosen not to support the ereader DRM built into ADE these days.

Still, Sony, Borders/Kobo, Fictionwise, Books on Board, etc. are all compatible with Sony readers.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2444 View Post
Hi all,
After much research I finally decided on the Sony PRS650. It was a tossup between a Sony and the Kindle 3, but I wanted to be able to borrow ebooks from the library and when I saw the 650, I was impressed by the touch screen. I managed to download a few books last night, a major achievement. Thanks to all for their input. It was very helpful.
Congrats! You're gonna love reading on it.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Congratulations, Jude2444. You won't regret buying an ereader. Best buy of a technical gadget I ever made (after the donation I gave my son when he "gave" me his old Mac).
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Jude, I hope you enjoy your ereader! I'm on my 2nd now, and I doubt I will ever go back to paper books if I can avoid it!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
congrats on buying the best reader out there its a really addicting experience to read on these. I'm happily dumping my collection of physical books (as many as I can anyway) in favor of ebooks (and recovering a lot of room in my apartment too
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats Jude! I'm loving mine as well--the touch screen interface on the Sonys is great!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Jude2444
Jude2444 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
To reply to JB Cohen: the main reason I wanted an ereader was so I could borrow books from the library. And if I do decide to buy a book, of course, that option is available. The reason I bought the Sony was because I live in a smallish town and after going to several stores, the Sony and the Kobo were the only ones available to play with. There is no comparison as far as I am concerned, between the Sony and the Kobo. Being an instant gratification kind of gal, I didn't want to have to order it, plus I was concerned about customs, etc as I live in Canada. So far, I am really pleased. I have even taken it to the gym and, after enlarging the print size, i read on the stationary bike. And with the 650, I just swipe the screen to turn the page! Makes me almost enjoy exercise.
Jude2444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
They annoying thing about the library.. for me is availablity.. they only have like 1 digital copy.. and the wait times seem LONG.. oh well.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess I have been misinformed.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Congrats!
I´m also a fresh owner of a new Sony, and I ´m keeping in reading every single day I have it!
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote