Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
As long as we are asking for more options I would also like standby or keyboard lock mode
to show the cover of the book that is open. It might effect the battery life so the option
should be changable.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
A couple of additions I would like to see for the mobi format are the ability to use user installed fonts, adding the search feature, and enabling TTS.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
A couple of additions I would like to see for the mobi format are the ability to use user installed fonts, adding the search feature, and enabling TTS.

Well, you can use user installed fonts. Check Hanlin_V3 in our wiki. It is similar to user installed fonts for other formats except they have to be in /fonts/index so make a copy in that folder. It will then show up in the font selection menu in mobi.

Be sure you have a complete set of 4 fonts and the last letters of the name are special and must end in bd for bold, i for italic and bi for bold italic. See the wiki for details.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
As long as we are asking for more options I would also like standby or keyboard lock mode
to show the cover of the book that is open. It might effect the battery life so the option
should be changable.
Why would it affect the battery life? An eInk screen uses no power to display a static image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, you can use user installed fonts. Check Hanlin_V3 in our wiki. It is similar to user installed fonts for other formats except they have to be in /fonts/index so make a copy in that folder. It will then show up in the font selection menu in mobi.

Be sure you have a complete set of 4 fonts and the last letters of the name are special and must end in bd for bold, i for italic and bi for bold italic. See the wiki for details.

Dale
I had read the Wiki and I had done everything except rename the fonts with the special endings. I guess I didn't read the instructions well enough . Thanks!
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
8 font sizes for ALL formats.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would it affect the battery life? An eInk screen uses no power to display a static image.
I thought so but I read somewhere on the forum that your battery looses charge when in keyboard lock so would be better to turn the device off completely if you are not going to use it for a few days

so I assumed the battery was being used maybe I misunderstood
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #23
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
An option in the settings to declare how long the processor should stay active before slipping into sleep mode.

In this manner, say, you set it for 1 minute. If you take less than a minute to read the page, when you advance to the next page, it will turn just as fast as if you had changed pages in quick succession. If you take more than a minute, then changing pages will take the normal 1.2 seconds or so.

It shouldn't have too much of a drain on the page turns. But even if it dropped the pages down from 8000 to 4000, that's still a good 4-7 books before charging.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #24
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
An option in the settings to declare how long the processor should stay active before slipping into sleep mode.

In this manner, say, you set it for 1 minute. If you take less than a minute to read the page, when you advance to the next page, it will turn just as fast as if you had changed pages in quick succession. If you take more than a minute, then changing pages will take the normal 1.2 seconds or so.

It shouldn't have too much of a drain on the page turns. But even if it dropped the pages down from 8000 to 4000, that's still a good 4-7 books before charging.
It would more likely drop the battery life down to somewhere between 40 and 400 pages if you leave the processor running at full speed continuously. Probably closer to 40 pages unless you read VERY fast. The difference between full clock speed running of the processor and sleep mode is at least two orders of magnitude.

Caveat, I have done a lot of hardware work with ARM microprocessors, but I do not know anything about the particular hardware in the reader or how well the sleep mode is implemented in the firmware.

These numbers are VERY rough ballpark figures, but say the processor is drawing 200 milliamperes when running at full clock speed, then the sleep current would be about 2 milliamperes or less, maybe a lot less depending on how good the firmware is. In this example, your 8000 page turns becomes 80 page turns just because you left the processor running at full speed doing nothing.

EDIT:
Another possible way to get your faster page turns would be to have the system pre-parse and format the next page immediately after displaying the current page and then go to sleep. That way, when the page turn button is pushed most of the work is already done. That does take up a big chunk of extra memory, so it may not actually be feasible.

Last edited by Dave_S; 09-13-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
EDIT:
Another possible way to get your faster page turns would be to have the system pre-parse and format the next page immediately after displaying the current page and then go to sleep. That way, when the page turn button is pushed most of the work is already done. That does take up a big chunk of extra memory, so it may not actually be feasible.
Dave, this is the suggestion that I left on the Jinke support site about a week ago. I'm not sure if Jinke developers ever took a look at it. I had a response from someone saying that Jinke was planning a release to speed up the page turns very soon -- and they did.

However, I don't know if he ever passed along the idea about pre-loading the next page.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I'd like to keep a consolidated list for the EZ-Reader:
a) Items people consider to be problems/bugs that they'd like to see fixed.
b) Enhancements (new 'features') that people would like to see in updates.

I'll start off with a short list of things that I've gleaned from other postings, and I'll try to edit this first message to add new suggestions, so they're all in one place. Please post any additional items that may occur to you!

For BOTH Basic & Pocket Pro:
1) Make hyperlinks work in all ePub books.
2) Add a 'back' function from hyperlink jumps (long press 9?)
3) Add more font size choices to ePubs with smaller jumps between sizes (8 font sizes for ALL formats?).
4) [wallcraft] Fix: images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs.
5) [wallcraft] Fix: ePub page numbers get bigger with the zoom size. (Should use the same small font for page numbers regardless of the size of the main text font.)
6) Option to store "recent books" list and bookmarks on SD card, so card can be moved between readers (such as a small portable device and a larger "at home" device) and take your "reading environement" with it. (May already be there...)
7) [RichyRich] Menu option to enter a few "custom zoom sizes" (percentages) in addition to the built-in zoom amounts.
8) [KarateMonkey] An easy way to view the meta-data for a book. [dopedangel] Instead of press & release to OPEN the book, maybe long-press to look at meta-data?
9) [dopedangel] Option to show COVER of current book (or first page if no cover) when reader is keyboard-locked.
10) [tamzilla] For the mobi format, add the search feature, and enable TTS.

For Pocket Pro ONLY:
PP 1) [Griffonwing] OPTION to use the TOGGLE (thumb wheel) as the hyperlink and/or dictionary access.

For Basic ONLY:
(currently empty)
ive asked tec support if they could fix the tts
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #27
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
ive asked tec support if they could fix the tts
What do you mean by 'fix'. That could mean any number of things:
1) Make it work on ALL file types
2) Fix annoying things like pronouncing contractions as two separate 'words'
3) A voice with more human-like inflection
4) A different voice
5) etc.

#3 isn't going to happen any time soon.
#4 will probably happen only slightly sooner.

But I'd like clarification of what you mean by 'fix.'
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #28
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

I'd like to see the ability to 'mark' an unlimited number of places in a book. This is not necessarily 'bookmarks' (although they COULD share functionality). You need to be able to select any WORD and 'mark' it for later reference, and easily return to those pages with the MARKED WORDS HIGHLIGHTED. A reasonably simple "go to next mark" command would be needed, that didn't require working your way through a multi-level menu system. This would enable one to proof-read documents ON the EZ Reader rather than at a desk on a computer screen. I'm sure folks would find many other uses for this ability.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I'd like to see the ability to 'mark' an unlimited number of places in a book. This is not necessarily 'bookmarks' (although they COULD share functionality). You need to be able to select any WORD and 'mark' it for later reference, and easily return to those pages with the MARKED WORDS HIGHLIGHTED. A reasonably simple "go to next mark" command would be needed, that didn't require working your way through a multi-level menu system. This would enable one to proof-read documents ON the EZ Reader rather than at a desk on a computer screen. I'm sure folks would find many other uses for this ability.
Actually mobi format already does this. I have requested the feature of Jinke as a cross between the mobi way and the normal Hanlin way. There are other problems with the way bookmarks are treated as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #30
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually mobi format already does this. I have requested the feature of Jinke as a cross between the mobi way and the normal Hanlin way. There are other problems with the way bookmarks are treated as well.Dale
So, when reading a Mobi file on the EZ Reader, you can select individual words, mark them, and return to them later, and an unlimited number of them? If so, what's the mechanism? Thanks!