Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #451
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Well so I think that mine is right cuz it is in the average haha. I just wish I could have those other like that I saw for IOS or android there in my kobo.

Btw I didn't unlock "All You Can Eat" yet. But I already have more then 400 books in my sdcard and the award is like 10%....

@davidfor do you think that is possible to use your plugin to idk access the awards that are "hidden"? so we can see them and then unlock doing whatever we have to do
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #452
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

I unblocked some awards on my android and I can't sync them to my kobo touch. The awards are the "Afternoon Rush Hour, Witching Hour, I Eat Books For Lunch" I already synced, rebooted the kobo a lot of times and they are still unlocked. My question is, can I edit the metadata to unlock these achievements? Using a SQL program?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #453
Blas
Ulica Guy

PS: The achievement "All You Can Eat" were unlocked on my android and then synced to my kobo without any issue.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #454
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I looked at these ages ago to see how they worked. I don't remember if I posted anything at the time, but it would most likely be in this thread. From my memory and a quick look at the database now...

The tables involved are "Achievement" and "Rules". "Achievement" is the list of awards with the descriptions "Rules" has how the award is achieved. It has what is being counted, the event this is related, the goal and some other things I don't understand. The two tables are joined by the "AchievementId" in Rules to "Id" in "Achievement".

I'm sure you could update the tables to achieve the awards or make them achievable, but I have no idea how. I can guess, but, I've never been interested enough to look at it properly. And I'm still not. Plus, there is a checksum the rows in each table. I have no idea how that is calculated (which values, what order) and if it is checked. If it is checked, then unless you know how to calculate it correctly, any changes you make won't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #455
Blas
Ulica Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I looked at these ages ago to see how they worked. I don't remember if I posted anything at the time, but it would most likely be in this thread. From my memory and a quick look at the database now...

The tables involved are "Achievement" and "Rules". "Achievement" is the list of awards with the descriptions "Rules" has how the award is achieved. It has what is being counted, the event this is related, the goal and some other things I don't understand. The two tables are joined by the "AchievementId" in Rules to "Id" in "Achievement".

I'm sure you could update the tables to achieve the awards or make them achievable, but I have no idea how. I can guess, but, I've never been interested enough to look at it properly. And I'm still not. Plus, there is a checksum the rows in each table. I have no idea how that is calculated (which values, what order) and if it is checked. If it is checked, then unless you know how to calculate it correctly, any changes you make won't work.
Yeah I was checking the checksum and I think that it will be the main problem. I was thinking if I could just put "100" in the "Percent Complete" column but I bet that it will work. Well thx for the full help I will keep studying it but I don't think if I will really mess up my metadata cuz what if it mess everything up haha
Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #456
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Yeah I was checking the checksum and I think that it will be the main problem. I was thinking if I could just put "100" in the "Percent Complete" column but I bet that it will work. Well thx for the full help I will keep studying it but I don't think if I will really mess up my metadata cuz what if it mess everything up haha
If you want to fiddle with the database, just take a backup before you start. You can restore this if things go wrong.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #457
Blas
Ulica Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you want to fiddle with the database, just take a backup before you start. You can restore this if things go wrong.
I've been trying to change the "Percent Complete" column, and adding that user ID number too, but the achievement will disappear, so I have to let it how it was before so it will be back again.

It must have something to do with that checksum thing that you said but I don't have any idea of how to Calc it.

I just wanted to do it cuz I can get any of these achievement. Even if I do the tasks it won't add a percent at all. But i already unlocked them on Android. So idk if is a problem with the update or something.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #458
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I have three pages of awards unlocked on my Kobo iPad app, but none of them synced to my Kobo Aura One. I've had to unlock them all over again. But the KA1 is stingier at giving out the awards. For example, I don't know how many times I've read between 4-6pm in the last six months. I've lost track. It's certainly more than the five times required to finish the badge, but there isn't a single moment recorded. The whole process is very buggy.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #459
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have read all 31 pages of this thread. I didn’t know about this forum in 2011. Looks like I missed out in all the fun. I have a few questions for those in the know who might trip across this ancient thread. I’m not starting a new thread on the topic because there doesn’t seem to be general interest in the awards anymore.
1. How does one get the Authorized Reader award? It was never answered in this thread.
2. Has Magic eReader been removed from the latest Kobo firmware?
3. Did Magic eReader simply trigger an award, or was it a bonafide Magic 8 ball emulator with a twist?
4. Problems with award glitches started popping up at the end of 2011. That was seven years ago. The gamer in me loves getting the awards, but if they don’t work (e.g. the time related badges don’t unlock on my KA1 LE), they only serve to frustrate. Some work; some don’t. That hasn’t changed in seven years. Why on earth are they still part of the OS?
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #460
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I have three pages of awards unlocked on my Kobo iPad app, but none of them synced to my Kobo Aura One. I've had to unlock them all over again. But the KA1 is stingier at giving out the awards. For example, I don't know how many times I've read between 4-6pm in the last six months. I've lost track. It's certainly more than the five times required to finish the badge, but there isn't a single moment recorded. The whole process is very buggy.
See the almost endless comments on book statistics being broken in recent firmware. I suspect that no book statistics leads to no awards based on statistics.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #461
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
See the almost endless comments on book statistics being broken in recent firmware. I suspect that no book statistics leads to no awards based on statistics.
That hadn't occurred to me. You may be onto something there. I just found out about the LOLZ award a few days ago and received it without issue, but I seldom pay attention to the statistics screen. Bugs there may explain why certain awards never update or complete. It's a shame, because one of the endearing things for me of the Kobo platform was the Reading Life game. I had the Kobo app on my iPad when it was first released. The awards worked well then. I liked the UI, too, obviously, because when I bought myself an eReader, it was a Kobo.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #462
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Yea i have no clue on why it takes so long to come with a small update to fix a problem like reading stats... makes you think kobo only have like 1 or 2 firmware devs that are on vacation all the time. Also it would be nice that books bought in the kobo store have extra trophy's to unlock.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #463
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
Yea i have no clue on why it takes so long to come with a small update to fix a problem like reading stats... makes you think kobo only have like 1 or 2 firmware devs that are on vacation all the time.
Is that a serious statement? If so...

To fix a "little" problem like this requires:
  • Finding out people think there is a problem.
  • Proving there is actually a problem.
  • Finding where the problem is.
  • Coding the fix.
  • Making sure it doesn't break anything else.
  • Testing it.
  • Build and release the update.

And that doesn't take into account other problems that might exist. Any time you find a bug, you have to decide its importance against other bugs. And other work that is going on.

This all takes time. And costs money. Even a one-line change needs all this to be done. So, no commercial development team is going to rush out a one fix update unless it is for an important problem. And this isn't. It isn't stopping you from reading. It isn't deleting your books. It isn't sending all your data to Facebook.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #464
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I got my first Kobo reader, I thought how cute the reading awards were and started watching my progress. Then I found out that some were bugged and wouldn't register ever. And if you ever have to reset your reader for whatever reason, all the awards and progress also get reset back to zero, so you have to build them all up again.

What I thought was a cute idea turned out to be nothing but a source of constant aggravation for me because it's always been so buggy and unreliable. So I now wisely set all reading activity tracking to off and save myself the headaches and just enjoy the reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #465
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
What I thought was a cute idea turned out to be nothing but a source of constant aggravation for me because it's always been so buggy and unreliable. So I now wisely set all reading activity tracking to off and save myself the headaches and just enjoy the reading.
What you and davidfor say isn’t wrong, but a lot of us like Reading Stats or Awards and wish they worked. I don’t know about being wiser than the rest, but if Kobo includes the feature, it’s not unreasonable to expect it to work. I have to admit that the awards available for the Kobo ereader is anemic compared to what’s available for iOS or Android, but still what is available for my KA1 is fun, even cute, and as a completist it irks me that I can’t unlock them. ¯\(º_O)/¯

Tags
awards, reading life, touch