Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
them
them can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Mini
Factory Reset option disabled on Kobo Mini

Hi,

I just got a second hand Kobo Mini. It appears to be working well, except for one problem -- I can't perform factory reset.

The manual suggests only one option -- go to Settings, Device Information, and tap FACTORY RESET button. However, FACTORY RESET button on my device is greyed out.

I have tried fully charging the device, and performing the basic reset, but Factory Reset button remains greyed out.

Software version is 2.1.5 (r43939, 10/12/12).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Harvey
them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Try a manual reset.
Remove the rear snapback cover, and use the rest hole.

To remove the cover: a long the top edge of the bezel there is a bit of a cut out on one corner which gives you access to the edge of the snap cover, gently stick in a fingernail between the bezel and cover and lift the snapback away from the back of the reader, take it slow, the snapbacks have many little clips around the sides and in the middle to hold in place.

Once the snapback is off you will find the reset hole in the rear cover.

Kobo's instructions (Resetting device)
http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/answ...t+my+Kobo+Mini

(Removing back cover)http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/answ....kobo.com/help
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I used a speed square to scribe thin shallow line on bottom edge and left edge of Mini in line 90 degree to each edge with reset hole. Reinstalled the back and marked location of the hole on the back using square. Removed the back again and drilled tiny hole in back cover with #72 drill bit .635mm .025". This was smallest drill bit I had.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
them
them can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned in the description of the problem I have already tried a basic reset (Kobo Mini FAQ calls paperclip-in-the-hole a basic reset, see here: http://www.kobo.com/help/kobomini/re...id=3733&type=3). It did not help.

Furthermore, I have noticed that not only is Factory Reset button greyed out, Sign Out button is also greyed out.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned in the description of the problem I have already tried a basic reset (Kobo Mini FAQ calls paperclip-in-the-hole a basic reset, see here: http://www.kobo.com/help/kobomini/re...id=3733&type=3). It did not help.

Furthermore, I have noticed that not only is Factory Reset button greyed out, Sign Out button is also greyed out.
So is the device still logged in to the previous owner's account?

This almost sounds like some sort of shop demo device, where some options are disabled to stop people messing up the device while playing with it in the shop. If the firmware has this sort of option then it might be of interest to others who want to prevent their devices updating (I assume since it is still on firmware 2.1.5 that it didn't try to update during sync?)

I think you can normally do a factory reset on the Mini by turning the device off, holding the reset button in (need to take the snap back off), and then turning the device on while continuing to hold the reset button in.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-14-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
So is the device still logged in to the previous owner's account?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
This almost sounds like some sort of shop demo device, where some options are disabled to stop people messing up the device while playing with it in the shop. If the firmware has this sort of option then it might be of interest to others who want to prevent their devices updating
Sounds plausable. So far I haven't found any mention of greyed out Sign Out and Factory Reset buttons on Kobo Mini anywhere.

Quote:
(I assume since it is still on firmware 2.1.5 that it didn't try to update during sync?)
When I try to sync it says I'm using two different accounts (i.e. Desktop is setup with account that is different from the current device account) and that if I continue, Desktop will be overwritten with device content and account. I haven't tried doing that as I wasn't sure how easy it would be to later get rid of that device account from my desktop.

Quote:
I think you can normally do a factory reset on the Mini by turning the device off, holding the reset button in (need to take the snap back off), and then turning the device on while continuing to hold the reset button in.
Doesn't look like it's working. I hold power button until I get Powered Off message on the screen. I then insert paperclip in the hole and ensure it clicks on reset button; keeping it in that position I move power switch and hold for a few seconds then release. Nothing happens until I remove paperclip as well. At this point it doesn't go into restart, have to move power switch again. It then starts but Factory Reset has not been done. Waiting several minutes before restarting has the same effect.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't have a Mini myself so I might be wrong on the procedure for factory reset, maybe someone else with a Mini can confirm whether it would normally work, or maybe that has been disabled too somehow.

If you can sync via wifi that would bypass the problem with two different accounts in the Kobo desktop. It would be intersting to see what happens, whether it updates the firmware or not.

Edit: One other possibility: Deleting the device's database (located in .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite) should cause it to create a new one, which I think has the same effect as logging out. But since there is something funny going on with the device it might also leave you with a non-functioning Mini if it doesn't work. If you were to try this then at least making a backup of the database would be a good idea.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-14-2013 at 09:45 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Doesn't look like it's working. I hold power button until I get Powered Off message on the screen. I then insert paperclip in the hole and ensure it clicks on reset button; keeping it in that position I move power switch and hold for a few seconds then release. Nothing happens until I remove paperclip as well. At this point it doesn't go into restart, have to move power switch again. It then starts but Factory Reset has not been done. Waiting several minutes before restarting has the same effect.
Might it be time to ask for your money back? If it was sold to you as a fully working device, it isn't.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Last resort get image of internal micro SD card for Kobo Mini. Someone here can post a link for this image from their Kobo Mini. Write this image to new micro SD card that is 2 Gb or larger. Standard size of this image is 2Gb. If you write this image to Sd card larger than 2 GB expand the FAT32 formatted partition out to use the unused part of the Sd card. Leave the unused space at beginning of the SD card partitions. The internal SD card has 2 each ext2 partitions and one fat32 partition.

Remove the outer back cover with your thumb nail, guitar pick or corner of credit card. Starting at top right corner with front face down. Pull the cover off at top and around clockwise releasing retainer tabs from recesses. Remove inner back cover using Phillips tip jewelers screwdriver to remove tinny screws. Radio Shack has this screw driver. As you remove each screw stick it to adhesive tape strip or place in small dish to prevent loss. If you loose some of these screws drug store has glasses repair kit with 3 straight slot screws inside screwdriver handle that can be used. Radio Shack might have these screws.

Flash Drive Image Creator, Copies Image to your windows computer.
http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=28

Flash Drive image Writer, Writes Image to SD card.
http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

Keep your original SD card at least until this procedure is shown to work.

I use Parted Magic live SD to expand out the FAT32 partition. Gparted is available on Linux.

Last edited by filmo; 07-15-2013 at 01:36 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Last resort get image of internal micro SD card for Kobo Mini.
That sounds promising!

Quote:
Someone here can post a link for this image from their Kobo Mini.
Found that this request has already been posted on this form but no one was feeling generous...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200866

Quote:
Write this image to new micro SD card that is 2 Gb or larger.
Also found that this "or larger" works quite nicely and that people have been putting 32 Gb cards in Minis -- sounds like a plan! As soon as I manage to sort out the Factory Reset issue, that is...

If no other helpful suggestions materialize, I'll extract the card and see if I can do something with this description of what Factory Reset does on Glo:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=27
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Found that this request has already been posted on this form but no one was feeling generous...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200866
Someone else had the same problem. According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93#post2568093, they used the image from a N905C Touch. I can supply this. If you go down this route, I would get another micro SD card and test with that first. Which it sounds like you want to do anyway.
Quote:
Also found that this "or larger" works quite nicely and that people have been putting 32 Gb cards in Minis -- sounds like a plan! As soon as I manage to sort out the Factory Reset issue, that is...

If no other helpful suggestions materialize, I'll extract the card and see if I can do something with this description of what Factory Reset does on Glo:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=27
Manually sideloading the firmware files might be all you need to do. The firmware automatically looks for them and does the install. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 for the download links.

But, I would try deleting the database first. In fact, I would delete the whole ".kobo" directory. If this doesn't exist, it will prompt you do do a setup. This will include installing the latest firmware and getting you to login.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
them

Quote:
If you can sync via wifi that would bypass the problem with two different accounts in the Kobo desktop. It would be intersting to see what happens, whether it updates the firmware or not.
It did work, and what happened is indeed interesting. As in that supposed Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times" interesting. It has upgraded to 2.6.1 (55e7f0d3f0, 6/17/13) and the suspicion that this device is locked into a shop demo mode has been confirmed -- now whenever it goes to sleep it starts an annoying slideshow extolling the virtues of Kobo Mini! It didn't do that before, but now it does -- very annoying.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can youi share your Kobo eReader.conf file with us. It's found in .kobo/Kobo when the device is attached to your PC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Can youi share your Kobo eReader.conf file with us. It's found in .kobo/Kobo when the device is attached to your PC.
Attached, although I can't see anything of interest in there myself.

I had better luck digging in "KoboReader.sqlite". I deleted the only record in the user table (with the help of the trusty SQLiteManager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqli...?source=navbar) and when after that I synced with Desktop it allowed me to sign in with my account... via Desktop only, though. On device I still can't sign out (button still greyed out) but at least it is signed in into my account.

I also deleted slideshow directory which got rid of the annoying slideshow -- now get just blank white screen when in sleep mode.

Still can't do Factory Reset, button still greyed out...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kobo eReader.zip (1.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you go down this route, I would get another micro SD card and test with that first. Which it sounds like you want to do anyway.
Have new 8 Gb one ready and waiting!

At the moment still reading through the two threads you sent.