Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
booklover81
booklover81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy Another extremely SLOW Calibre

I've reinstalled to 1.6, ran malware, virus ware, spyware programs. everything is clean. I can't get Calibre to load faster than 4 minutes. Even after it loads I can't click on a book, it keeps saying "not responding" What else can I do? I've had Calibre for 2 years. never a problem. I'm going through withdrawals!! Is there anyone out there that can help?
booklover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover81 View Post
I've reinstalled to 1.6, ran malware, virus ware, spyware programs. everything is clean. I can't get Calibre to load faster than 4 minutes. Even after it loads I can't click on a book, it keeps saying "not responding" What else can I do? I've had Calibre for 2 years. never a problem. I'm going through withdrawals!! Is there anyone out there that can help?
Even on a lowly P4 running XP it does not take anywhere that long
With Calibre Not running

Use the OS to Rename the Library folder to something different.

Now start Calibre (Calibre will just create an empty Library because the old one is missing).
How long did that take?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Even on a lowly P4 running XP it does not take anywhere that long
Running calibre on a slower, less capable system (with limited/shared memory) along with a very large library of books -- say, 20,000 or more -- can result in slower loading. I've timed it on my old computer system (which might have hardware issues I'm not aware of, excluding defrag). Four minutes is not impossible based on what I was seeing. The use of custom columns, columns derived from other columns, keeping the tag browser or the book details open, the old Formats custom column... all of these things exacerbate the load delay.

There may be other calibre options, or plugins, that would also adversely affect start-up time that are not listed above.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 11-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Exclude the calibre library folder from your antivirus. Have you tried this one?
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@booklover81 theducks - see what happens when you 'hide' the library as he suggests

It's probably irrelevant but following on from Saberdeyn's post...

I'm currently building a library of scanned comics. At about 6000 books, Calibre's startup times went from 10-20 secs to a couple of minutes. I enter metadata into the library list (spreadsheet) cells, and about the same time I noticed that tabbing from one metadata cell to the next had developed a noticeable lag.

So after investigating and experimenting I 'homed in' on a one of my custom columns as being the likely cause; it was a union (concatenation without duplicate names) of four names columns. So I removed it - the startup times went back to < 10 secs with no significant lag when tabbing between metadata cells in data entry 'mode'.

I 'knew' from what I've read here that Calibre's performance can suffer if you have columns created from other columns, so I'm not surprised that my column did just that. But its interesting that it did not gradually deteriorate to any significant degree, but when it reached its tipping point it practically 'fell off the cliff'.

I can live without the column during library 'construction', might put it back when its finished.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-14-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
This is not MY problem. I was pointing out that even old HW does not take minutes.
(FWIW I only have 4 colored column rules. No calculated columns.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR
This is not MY problem. I was pointing out that even old HW does not take minutes.
(FWIW I only have 4 colored column rules. No calculated columns.)
from the Latin dictus (having been said), "detto" in standard Italian, in Tuscany "detto" became "ditto", from where it entered into English in the early 17th century.

In other words I was supporting your suggestion to use an 'empty' library, I changed my post to make that crystal clear.

Try to read other people's post more carefully before you 'react' defensively.

Besides that, I didn't think you had a problem, I thought it was the OP who had a problem.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-14-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre behavior