Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
saak
saak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Libra now or wait for Kindle Oasis sale?

So I've been getting back into reading and, while I enjoy having a physical book collection (that I don't read! a vice of mine), I have found that I prefer to read on my iPad Pro.

A couple of issues with that: Low battery life, straining on the eyes, and no e-ink means no real ability to read outside or in bright lighting conditions. Also, the large size of the iPad Pro means that it isn't particularly convenient to take with me and read on-the-go. I had a nook long ago in middle school, but it's now been nearly a decade and, though I found my trusty old nook, it no longer functions at all.

After doing some research, I've decided I want a 7" (or 8") e-reader with a relatively solid build and battery life, physical buttons, the ability for warm backlighting for night-reads, and a nice balance in weight such that I can effortlessly hold it in one hand and read. I would prefer an e-reader that I can easily get good customer service for in the case of any problems. Lastly, I certainly do not want to support Onyx, as they refuse to release their Linux kernel information, which means there are (quite possibly) CCP backdoors in all their products.

I believe the Kobo Libra H2O and the Kindle Oasis 3 are the best e-readers for my purposes, but am caught between deciding to purchase a Kobo Libra now from Walmart for $170 or waiting (possibly for a while, as Amazon has delayed their Prime day to ~October) for the Kindle Oasis to drop to $175, as it did the previous Prime day.

Of course, having an e-reader now would be extremely nice, but I am willing to wait a few months and tough it out (woe is me) for the Oasis. I expect to use whichever e-reader I purchase for at minimum a few years.

The key flaws of each I am aware of:

Kobo Libra H2O:
  1. poor backlighting that is not consistent across the screen
  2. relatively worse build quality as it is plastic
  3. no option to get above 8 GB of storage
  4. no support for audiobooks
  5. significantly inferior libraries and lookup

Kindle Oasis:
  1. locked into bs Amazon ecosystem, where they can literally delete your books (see what happened to people's copies of 1984 after a publisher dispute with Amazon),
  2. do not support epubs so have to convert my own to mobi, though I have Calibre and this isn't a huge problem
  3. lower battery life (?)
  4. no Overdrive support (also not sure about this one)
  5. have to pay Amazon just to remove ads (seriously? on such a pricy product?)

I'm not sure if I've weighed the two accurately and, to be frank, I have no idea which to choose. If the Oasis were $175 now, I would certainly spring for it, but as-is I can't seem to come to a decision. I worry about lower build quality and screen lighting inconsistency with the Kobo, but have entirely different concerns with the ecosystem and potential low battery life of the Kindle.

I would appreciate any input to help decide which is better, both for me and other users considering a purchase in this price range!
saak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
First, if you know how to convert your ebooks with Calibre and sideload (like it seems you do), you're not locked to any ecosystem. You don't have to buy anything from Amazon if you don't want to. Also, you don't have to pay Amazon to remove the ads. You can buy an ad-free Kindle to begin with.

Second, you've not said where you live. Kindles support Overdrive in the US. If you live elsewhere and want Overdrive support, Kobo is better for you.

I have both the Oasis and the Libra and like both. If I could only afford one, I would be happy with either one of them (I don't use Overdrive). So, if you can live with 8GB instead of 32GB, I'd suggest to try the Libra. You can always return it, should you find it not to your liking, and wait for the Oasis sale.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have both Kindles and Kobos - but not the Libra.

I do own the newest Kindle Oasis, one that I paid only $175 last year when Amazon was running a sale. I LOVE mine and the screen is beautiful. It's an absolute joy to read on.

If you've never owned an ebook reader, and if you're able to try both the Libra and the Oasis for comparison, then I would suggest you do so.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
A couple of things to consider:

Quote:
Kobo Libra H2O:
*relatively worse build quality as it is plastic
The Libra is plastic, but I don't know that it is inferior. Lots of people find the metal cold to the touch.
Quote:
*no support for audiobooks
I don't understand the fascination with using an e-ink device for audiobooks. A phone seems so much handier for that.

Quote:
Kindle Oasis:
*locked into bs Amazon ecosystem, where they can literally delete your books (see what happened to people's copies of 1984 after a publisher dispute with Amazon),
Why is Amazon's ecosystem bs? Everyone goes to that 1984 example. But that was a one off. And it was a book that was sold illegally. I don't blame Amazon for deleting those copies.

Anyway, if you want good customer service, Amazon is it. I love my Kobos, but I haven't yet had to ever interact with their customer service. From what I heard, repeatedly, it is no good. If you consider customer service as part of the ecosystem, it is no longer BS.
Quote:
*no Overdrive support (also not sure about this one)
Not sure where you live, since you don't list a location. But Kindles can borrow books through Overdrive. Not as easy as on a Kobo, but not too bad.
Quote:
*have to pay Amazon just to remove ads (seriously? on such a pricy product?)
That is tacky. The ads are Kindle's worst sin, in my opinion.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You don't have to buy anything from Amazon if you don't want to. Also, you don't have to pay Amazon to remove the ads. You can buy an ad-free Kindle to begin with.
Either way, you have to cough up the same $20 if you don't want ads.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saak View Post
poor backlighting that is not consistent across the screen
The gradient is so subtle that unless you look for it, it is very hard to spot. I never see it.

Quote:
relatively worse build quality as it is plastic
I've found it easier to scratch my Oasis than my Libra.

Quote:
significantly inferior libraries and lookup
There is no difference in the libraries in relation to traditionally published books, the only difference is when it comes to indies. I don't know what you mean by "lookup."

Quote:
locked into bs Amazon ecosystem, where they can literally delete your books (see what happened to people's copies of 1984 after a publisher dispute with Amazon),
Seriously that only happened once and I doubt it will ever ever happen again. Now they just simply stop selling the ebook without pulling it out of libraries.

And since you can always sideload onto a Kindle (or a Kobo) I disagree here.

Quote:
do not support epubs so have to convert my own to mobi, though I have Calibre and this isn't a huge problem
You can also email your files and they will be converted, I see this as a non-issue.

Quote:
lower battery life (?)
No this came from negative reviews from people that do not understand how indexing work and initially kept draining their battery after they downloaded their entire library. Over time the Oasis has pretty much the same battery life as any other modern Kindle.

Quote:
no Overdrive support (also not sure about this one)
That is both correct and incorrect. It doesn't have overdrive built into the ereader like it is on Kobo but it is still easy to check out library books. I just open up Libby on my phone to find a book and check it out and it shows up on my Kindle. If checking out library books is most of what you'll be doing, it still makes more sense to buy a Kobo however.

Quote:
have to pay Amazon just to remove ads (seriously? on such a pricy product?)
Agreed. I have a feeling that if Kobo and Nook were more competitive Amazon would have done away these slimy ads, at least on premium products.

I bought my Oasis 3 on Black Friday for under $200. I could see that sale happening on Prime Day. If you can wait I do consider it to be the better ereader because the screen uniformity is perfect and the adjustable color temp is perfect. It just feels more polished than the Libra.

If you're looking to buy now just get the Libra. It doesn't make sense to pay SO MUCH MORE for the Oasis unless you're already tied to the Amazon ecosystem.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
That is both correct and incorrect. It doesn't have overdrive built into the ereader like it is on Kobo but it is still easy to check out library books. I just open up Libby on my phone to find a book and check it out and it shows up on my Kindle.
You can only do that if you live in the US. We don't know where the OP lives.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not sure where you live, since you don't list a location. But Kindles can borrow books through Overdrive. Not as easy as on a Kobo, but not too bad.
Kindles can borrow books through Overdrive IF you are in the USA and your library supports Kindle lending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is tacky. The ads are Kindle's worst sin, in my opinion.
I did pay for removing ads from my used Kindle after I purchased it. Somehow, it left me feeling unclean.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I been threw a bizillion oasis and they all have bad battery life. Kobo libra definately has a better battrery KOBO also has an awards program earning vip discounts and points towards a free book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My recommendation is to go for the Kobo Libra now. It's got much nicer software on board.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #11
saak
saak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks everyone, quite helpful. I am based in the USA and have updated my profile to reflect that.

Some things I am noting is inconsistent anecdotes about the battery life of the Oasis—is it nearly as good as the Kobo or not? The Overdrive support in the USA is certainly a big plus. I am familiar with converting through Calibre and sideloading, so sending my personal ePubs to either device shouldn't pose a huge hurdle.

I will definitely concede that Amazon's customer support is miles above and beyond pretty much any customer support I have yet had to deal with, so that is certainly a plus in favor of the Oasis.

I also do agree that the Oasis seems to be the more polished product, with the flush screen allowing for more consistent backlighting and the solid metal build, though I too have heard people saying the metal gets overly cool to the touch and may not be as 'grippy' as the textured plastic of the Libra and other plastic e-readers.

Removal of the ads will necessarily make the base price of the Oasis, even on Prime day or Black Friday sales, $195 since it is a $20 fee you must cough up. I like the aesthetic of the Kobo OS better, as far as I have seen in YouTube videos, but I must agree that the Kindle has some polish that is lacking in the Kobo (automatic adjustment of backlight as you scroll as well as the 'clean' look of the physical device itself). I do wonder if the slightly different shapes (Kobo Libra having the side with buttons slightly elevated at an angle vs Kindle Oasis being rather flat all around) make a difference in ergonomics and ease of holding for long periods of time.

In terms of battery life:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
No this came from negative reviews from people that do not understand how indexing work and initially kept draining their battery after they downloaded their entire library. Over time the Oasis has pretty much the same battery life as any other modern Kindle.
Could you elaborate on this for me and for others who do not understand why battery life drains due to indexing issues?

Overall, I am leaning towards waiting for the Kindle, but am still not fully sure. It seems this is a nuanced discussion where you must give up some things no matter which device is chosen.
saak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saak View Post
I do wonder if the slightly different shapes (Kobo Libra having the side with buttons slightly elevated at an angle vs Kindle Oasis being rather flat all around) make a difference in ergonomics and ease of holding for long periods of time.
Not for me. If anything, Kobo is easier to hold, but only slightly. But then everyone holds their device in a different way.

The fact is, you can't be absolutely sure which device suits you better until you've held them both in your hand and seen with your own eyes. People's tastes and preferences vary pretty wildly. (I feel somewhat of a hypocrite saying this, because I've bought all my ereaders sight unseen. Still, it's the best way to be sure.)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

One other thing to consider. If you're the type who likes to tinker and modify their devices and is seldom satisfied by default options, then Kobo is more suitable for you. Kobo readers can be modified and patched very easily and there are a ton of instructions in the Kobo subforum here. With a Kindle you must be pretty sure the software and reading experience suit you, as you can modify it only to a very limited degree (custom fonts and font sizes are doable, but don't work with every Kindle format, for example). The Oasis is not jailbreakable as things stand at the moment.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #14
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I've not tried the Libra, but I have a 32GB Forma, which is great. The Libra has a glass substrate to the screen, which makes the unit almost as heavy as the larger size Forma (which has a plastic substrate).

I've got tendonitis in both wrists and find the Forma a joy to hold - initially, I was worried the larger screen would put rotational pressure in my wrists, but the offset edge with the buttons makes it very comfortable.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did pay for removing ads from my used Kindle after I purchased it. Somehow, it left me feeling unclean.
I wouldn’t mind the surcharge to remove ads quite as much if the media didn’t carry Amazon’s water on this. It seems to me, in comparing device prices, you have to compare adless with adless. But the reviewers don’t seem to have made that same calculus, and I can’t help wondering if it’s because they don’t want to do anything that will hurt their Amazon income stream.

Speaking for me, personally, I resent the ads. I’ve got an HD 8 and I live with the ads, as it would be insanity to pay $15 to remove the ads on a device I paid $27.50 for. I don’t own a Kindle, but I think if I did, I’d live with the ads on a Paperwhite or Basic, but I’d have to, grudgingly, pay the $20 to take them off an Oasis. Ads have no place on a premium device. But you can be sure I’d add that $20 into any price comparison.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying options, kindle, kobo, libra, oasis