Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Where Are The 11" Screens?

Any 11" tablets/readers coming out?

It seems there is a glut of smaller screens, but nothing which can read a standard PDF at 100%. Or simply to be the same size as a hardcover book (which is actually a little larger).

Anyone see something like this on the horizon?

Of course, if LCD, it needs to be a good one to be of value for a reader - like IPS.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've kinda wondered that myself. An A4/8.5x11" display would be quite nice for those who deal with tech docs. Guess that is still just seen as too small a niche compared to the price it would take to make them currently.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I've been waiting on the same. It seems like every few weeks there's an announcement of a new device with a 6 inch screen. The small screen concept is stale now.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Waiting for that as well myself--and prefer LCD so I can have good stylus markup and super quick page turns to flip through research articles etc.

I need something I can through any of my PDFs on and not have to worry about font being to small, having to crop margins and losing space to jot notes etc.

I want something with an A4 (or close) screen and great stylus mark up so I can do everything with it that I do with printouts of A4 PDFs now.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Too small a niche, and too fragile a device. And I expect price plays a big part in it--an A4/letter display is almost 4x the screenspace of a 6" reader, and 4x the cost for the e-ink screen.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I haven't seen any at all
If they price it right, I'd get one JUST for PDFs. As long as it had some kind of way to add notes to the PDF (even a stylus) it would be great for reading/studying technical PDFs as I often do. The main benefit for me would be to have it open next to my computer screen.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Too small a niche, and too fragile a device. And I expect price plays a big part in it--an A4/letter display is almost 4x the screenspace of a 6" reader, and 4x the cost for the e-ink screen.
I am not sure it's such a small niche. An 11" device would still be smaller than the average hardback volume, and likely much thinner.

There are PDF versions of novels floating around. The pages in some of these look like real pages, with nice design and typesetting. Much more readable and enjoyable than anything I've seen on either my 6" or 9.7" Kindles. I'd imagine there is a market for something that can present such pages in full size, in addition to any other standard PDF, such as textbook or technical text.

As to fragility, an extra inch and a little over the glass screen of the Kindle DX shouldn't be such a feat to achieve. And my DX is still perfect, despite being shove in backpacks and airplane seat's pockets.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
fragility was the main block. now that teh plastic backpane and foil back pane flexible screens are coming we will see more of this size this year.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
I think there could be a huge market, but the readers need to be a lot faster first. My experience is in the sciences, but there all journals and a lot of books are accessible as pdf (a4 or letter size) and most people I know do not look at the paper versions any more. They do tend to print out most things they actually want to read though.

Scientific publishing is probably the largest electronic publishing market at the moment anyway, and the nice thing is that the worst DRM the academic journals use (that I have seen so far) is watermarking.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I am not sure it's such a small niche. An 11" device would still be smaller than the average hardback volume, and likely much thinner.
Yeah I don't think it's a niche at all. Would be used by academics like me, students (many text books are A4 or larger and full of large tables, figures etc.), businesses that want to go more paperless etc.

It's not something the average reader here would by, but I think there's a large niche.

Quote:
As to fragility, an extra inch and a little over the glass screen of the Kindle DX shouldn't be such a feat to achieve. And my DX is still perfect, despite being shove in backpacks and airplane seat's pockets.
Yeah I don't see adding an inch or so adding fragility.

And moot for me as I have no interest in a large screen e-ink device. As noted, I want a good LCD screen as I want color and super fast refresh rates both for document mark up and flipping through to find tables etc., as well as the ability to do video etc.

I don't want a reader with an A4 screen really, I really want a tablet like the iPad but with an A4 screen and designed around stylus support.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post
I think there could be a huge market, but the readers need to be a lot faster first. My experience is in the sciences, but there all journals and a lot of books are accessible as pdf (a4 or letter size) and most people I know do not look at the paper versions any more. They do tend to print out most things they actually want to read though.

Scientific publishing is probably the largest electronic publishing market at the moment anyway, and the nice thing is that the worst DRM the academic journals use (that I have seen so far) is watermarking.
Absolutely.

I print out PDFs of everything--other than the 2 or 3 journals I get physical copies of through professional organization memberships. I can't stand reading on the PC, and I'm not going to go to the library and make a copy. I just print the PDF and read it and highlight the crap out of it, write tons of notes in the margins etc.

And I want a tablet that I can do all that just as quickly and easily as I can with a print out now. So good stylus support is a must, and an LCD or similar speed screen to be able to flip pages quickly etc.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Uh, the Skiff with its 11.5" 1200x1600 174dpi flexible screen is 'suppose' to come out this year.

http://skiff.com/skiff-reader_tech-specs.html

I would prefer a smaller screen at the same resolution, but I guess that may be a limitation of e-ink.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yep. Now give me a skiff with a good LCD screen and stylus markup and I'll be set.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post
I think there could be a huge market, but the readers need to be a lot faster first.
That's exactly what I think. I don't need a batery that lasts 2 weeks, I'm reading on my desk, I need s fast processor. Is it that hard to understand?
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Exactly. I don't care so much about battery life, eye strain etc. This will be something I mainly use in my office or at home to read and mark up stuff for work. As well as surf the net, watch some videos etc. if it's a tablet and not a reader.

It's not something like my Kindle that I'm going to read on for long stretches, long flights etc.

The iPad is SO close to what I need--if the screen was bigger and I was sure there would be good stylus mark up options I'd have one pre-ordered. 10 hour battery life, the screen tech etc. are all more than good enough for my needs.