Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Cool Considering to replace a Glo with an Aura

Hello,

I'm an happy user of the Kobo Glo. I use it mainly for sideloaded epub and Pocket. I really like the 3.0 firmware.

I nevertheless have a few complains:

- Sync issues/occasional freezes (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227574 )
- Poor reactivity. Marking a Pocket article as read can take up to 4-5s. Opening or browsing through book is also slow. Sometimes, turning a page can take 1-2s
- Even the minimal light is a bit too bright to my taste.
- Would like better battery (I read quite a lot and I have to plug the kobo every 10-12 days)

Does the Aura solves any of those issues? I'm really liking the form factor (so I*don't want an Aura HD) and I'm wondering is it worth switching to an Aura. Is there any drawback? Any unexpected good surprise of replacing a Glo with an Aura?

Thanks
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'll point out one key difference that, for me, makes the Kobo Glo preferable to the Kobo Aura: the Kobo Glo supports the night-mode hack (white text on a black background); the Aura does not (although the Aura HD does):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
jab76
jab76 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
I have the Aura now for about two weeks and I don't regret giving away the Glo.
I prefer the Aura because of the flat surface and simple way to adjust the light.
I think the Glo is nicer to hold due to it's soft non reflective bezel and is easier to hold. Also, at low light levels, I think the Glo has slightly more contrast.
jab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I like the Aura, I do have a few pin holes, nothing major though, but there's so much about the Aura that's lovely. It's size, it's weight. I love Pocket and the way I can sort out collections. It's a sweet discrete little reader.

I'm coming from a Kindle Paperwhite btw.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@jab76 I agree with the lower contrast on the Aura.

The page turns are slightly faster, but the background seems greyer. My mother has the Glo and all in all, you're paying for a new case and a very limited multi-touch, which could be brought to the Glo on a firmware change.

If you buy new, spend the extra money. If you already have a Glo, don't.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Thanks. Will keep my Glo then ;-)
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I'll point out one key difference that, for me, makes the Kobo Glo preferable to the Kobo Aura: the Kobo Glo supports the night-mode hack (white text on a black background); the Aura does not (although the Aura HD does):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162

Wow! Thanks RoberJSawyer for pointing me in this direction! I'd never heard about this night-mode hack. I've got it running now on my Glo. Installation is so simple.

I always found that, even on the lowest setting, the light was too strong in a completely dark room. This now solves the problem and I can now read in the dark without disturbing my wife.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Had the Glo, switched to the Aura. For me the speed difference more than makes up for anything else, and I find the device more responsive now. Also my Glo had several bugs, but I just got a new one (warranty replacement) and still greatly prefer the Aura.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Also, the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Glo is much more comfortable in the hands than the one for the Aura (back is less stiff, and it clips the ereader in place in the four corners, instead of from the two sides). Kobo Aura is a great device, and if I was buying my first Kobo, I might well choose it -- but I don't think I'd REPLACE a Glo with an Aura (maybe with the larger/faster Aura HD, but not with an Aura -- there's not enough to justify the cost of switching).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote