Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
slavek
slavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo
double page turn cause/solution?

Hi,

A new Kobo Touch user

While reading EPub book side loaded from PC, I have experienced a double page turn issue every few pages. I have noticed that it happens only after a "non response tap". It goes like this:

few pages go by OK
a tap to turn the page does not work
a second tap does not work
a third tap turns two pages
I tap one page back

and the above cycle repeats itself

I have changed setting to refresh the page from "every 6" to "every 5" and I have noticed a change: A "non response tap" still happens every few pages, but a double page turns are gone.

I am not an IT guy, but intuitively I feel that perhaps the "every 6 pages" setting fills the video memory to its limits, and that in turn causes problems???

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by slavek; 12-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
slavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
You should read the thread on the new firmware, cause it's possibly the cause of your concern...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
slavek
slavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura aboutslavek has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
You should read the thread on the new firmware, cause it's possibly the cause of your concern...
Unless I have missed something in that thread, there is no solution there (please correct me if I am wrong).

The firmware is what it is. Blaming the firmware does nothing more than keeping away the thought that the problem is hardware related. But how does that help in the reading experience??

I was only suggesting the solution that possibly works WITH the current firmware. I believe that this is better than giving up and hoping for a better future.
slavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I was only suggesting the solution that possibly works WITH the current firmware. I believe that this is better than giving up and hoping for a better future.
Well, you did ask for "any thoughts". I don't think anyone is giving up. Rather, if we report the issues with new firmware, we collectively become a beta group that Kobo has and will listen to. The better future is that they will likely correct these problems in the next (hopefully very soon) release. The latest release was certainly a step backward.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm pretty sure it isn't hardware, I have a double tap once in while but not much. Where on the screen are you touching? How is swiping?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I haven't had any double tap/ turns yet with the new firmware. But I used to get them fairly often. I have mine set to refresh on 6.

With some firmware versions I did see more dead taps than double turns.

BTW, it doesn't matter if you tap forward, back, or center (menu), it will always execute both functions after the second tap. So, for instance, if you tap forward and nothing happens (doesn't matter how long you wait) then tap the center it will turn the page once and bring up the menu. Doesn't save you any taps (or annoyance) just very odd.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm pretty sure it isn't hardware, I have a double tap once in while but not much. Where on the screen are you touching? How is swiping?
Keep in mind that the touch is registered thru an IR light/detector. Certain light sources can interfere. Personally, I have found an incandescent light that causes non-response when I am directly underneath.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have had the double tap issue ever since I bought my kobo touch in June. And it is still happening with the latest firmware.

I will try your suggestion of setting the refresh to 5 and see if it makes any difference. Like yours, mine is currently set to 6.

I have read the thread on the new firmware, not sure what why thee double page turn is getting so much press in that thread - it has been around long before the latest firmware release.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
There is a slightly different "double tap" issue in experienced by some people with the new firmware.

The double tap isssue discribed here (tap to turn a page - nothing happens - tap again - advance 2 pages) has been around since the Kobo was released and although similiar is NOT the issue described by several people (imsoawesome, theREALjoeblow and me to list a few) in the new firmware thread.

The new issue that appeared with the 1.9.16 firmware is that a tap on the LIBRARY selection from the HOME screen would not open the library but would just blacken that section. A second tap would then open the library and open the book in the same place when the library opened. The SHOW ALL button from the Shortlist also behaved exactly the same way. This happened every time I attempted to open my library or shortlist and effectively stopped me from reading any books on my Kobo other than the ones on the home screen. The other buttons on the Home screen (settings, store, reading life etc) all worked perfectly. It was only ever the Menu items that opened a list of books that had the issue and it happened every time they were tapped.

A work around was posted where the second tap was in a corner of the Kobo and therefore didn't open a book but I stopped it from happening with my Kobo by doing a factory reset and only replacing a fraction of my books.

Throughout all of this I still randomly experienced the double tap issue described here (2 page turns) which as Kiwipippa indicated has been present since the Kobo Touch was released and has nothing to do with the new firmware.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
There is a slightly different "double tap" issue in experienced by some people with the new firmware.

The double tap isssue discribed here (tap to turn a page - nothing happens - tap again - advance 2 pages) has been around since the Kobo was released and although similiar is NOT the issue described by several people (imsoawesome, theREALjoeblow and me to list a few) in the new firmware thread.

The new issue that appeared with the 1.9.16 firmware is that a tap on the LIBRARY selection from the HOME screen would not open the library but would just blacken that section. A second tap would then open the library and open the book in the same place when the library opened. The SHOW ALL button from the Shortlist also behaved exactly the same way. This happened every time I attempted to open my library or shortlist and effectively stopped me from reading any books on my Kobo other than the ones on the home screen. The other buttons on the Home screen (settings, store, reading life etc) all worked perfectly. It was only ever the Menu items that opened a list of books that had the issue and it happened every time they were tapped.

A work around was posted where the second tap was in a corner of the Kobo and therefore didn't open a book but I stopped it from happening with my Kobo by doing a factory reset and only replacing a fraction of my books.

Throughout all of this I still randomly experienced the double tap issue described here (2 page turns) which as Kiwipippa indicated has been present since the Kobo Touch was released and has nothing to do with the new firmware.

The tap the Library problem is identical to mine on firmware 1.9.14. Therefore it has not just appeared with 1.9.16.

I think it is related to the number of books or MB used in the images folder. It is no coincidence that the numerous image files per book that keep increasing with every update has, I think caused this problem to appear with people who never had the problem before. It is also related to having a lot of books on the micro SD cards.

I am too apprehensive to update after reading all the comments on this thread. I don't know if 16 will fix my problem or make it worse. Therefore I am sticking with firmware 14.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post

Thanks HarleyB, I haven't noticed that on the new firmware, but if it happens I'll know why.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think I'm seeing three different problems.

1) long delays after pressing a button. I'll press a button, and it will invert the button, but then nothing happens. However, if I tap somewhere on the screen, it acts like the button is pressed. I see this a lot with the table of contents.

2) double page turn after the first tap is ignored.

3) very sensitive to how a tap is performed. If I tap with the tip of my thumb, OK. If I tap with the pad of my thumb, it is often ignored.

I just got my Kobo last week. While I like it, it is also very frustrating. I'll probably try another brand for ny next reader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
FWIW

I had several issues related to tapping after the last upgrade. Today I did a factory reset and not only did the tapping issues go away the resolution and page turn speeds improved significantly as well.

To be fair, I had 600+ books stored and when I did the reset I only uploaded/synced my Kobo books roughly a hundred or so. In the past, I had noticed a definite slowing as my book count got higher.

I decided since I use calibre to store/manage my collection there was no need to keep all my books on Kobo. Now I keep the Kobo collection and a short list of books I plan to read in the near future. When done, if not part of the Kobo collection, I delete it from my reader and that (storing fewer books) along with the factory reset has significantly improved performance for me and eliminated a lot of side issues as well.

Last edited by fbrII; 12-30-2011 at 05:38 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Keep in mind that the touch is registered thru an IR light/detector. Certain light sources can interfere. Personally, I have found an incandescent light that causes non-response when I am directly underneath.
I think you're onto something there. I hadn't thought of it before but I've been staying in a different room of the house since the last upgrade (Holiday guests. . .) and the lamp in that room is a CFL vs. the incandescent in my usual room. In a couple of days things will be back to normal so we'll see if the double page turn issue comes back.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I've used my touch under CFL and incandescent light and had the double page turn problem.

It may have more to do with colour temperature than type of bulb.

Anyone ever see this behavior in sunlight?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote