Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A Kindle I'd like to see

I want Amazon to revive the Kindle keyboard minus the keyboard. 6in Carta screen, no light, no touch, key pad navigation. I bet it'll have the clearest screen of all e readers. Bonus: speakers and TTS, not just voice view. Call it the Kindle SE or whatever and price around PW. I'd be all over it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''
No way for me. I don't want an unlit 6'' screen and speakers only add unnecessary weight, I wouldn't use them. Also I prefer the Oasis form factor. And the old KK software was pretty horrible. No custom fonts and no boldness adjustment, and the word spacing was from the Stone Age. Just noooo.

Touch I could do without, but I'm not averse to it, as long as there are page-turn buttons.

My ideal Kindle would be the Oasis with a non-metal back, the screen quality of the Voyage (+ warm light) and the Kobo-like integration with Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Nope, I need the front light, and don't need/want speakers. The new Paperwhite tics all the boxes for me...no buttons, adjustable light temp, somewhat larger screen. I'm going to sell my 9th gen Oasis and buy the Paperwhite.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Canis_lupus
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, DX, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3
I would love to have the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle 4/5 (original basic) with front lighting, custom fonts and boldness slider. I dream about this often.

My ideal Kindle:

Dark crisp fonts of the Voyage

Even lighting with no gradients

Warm light

Traditional form factor with page turn buttons from Kindle 4/5

Four way manual screen rotation, or auto rotation

Always have page numbers option available

Return of the progress bar (which can be turned off in settings)

Processing power of the Oasis 2 & 3

Ability to place what a user wants to easily access in toolbar/quick pull down. I would set mine up for easy access to X-Ray, Series Group, Oasis forward/ backwards page buttons, deep in the menus I would have GoodReads and Bluetooth.

Return interface to version 5.13.6
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
junioryoudare
junioryoudare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Last gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I want Amazon to revive the Kindle keyboard minus the keyboard. 6in Carta screen, no light, no touch, key pad navigation. I bet it'll have the clearest screen of all e readers. Bonus: speakers and TTS, not just voice view. Call it the Kindle SE or whatever and price around PW. I'd be all over it.
what would be the point of having no backlight, in 2021 though? does "not having" a backlight make e-ink screens better or something else? I am just curious, do not have much knowledge on the subject btw.
junioryoudare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Sounds like you want a PocketBook Basic 4. (It doesn't have the bonus TTS feature, however.) It has the following specs... 212 dpi E-Carta screen. No light. No Touch.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/catalog/basic/basic-4-ch

I've got a Tolino Page (the original one). It had infrared touch but no light. It's about the only reader I know of that had 167 dpi E-Carta screen. It used the infrared touch system, so no capacitive layer and no light layer.

https://mytolino.com/wp-content/uplo..._version-1.pdf
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
in 2021 though? does "not having" a backlight make e-ink screens better or something else?
Given that eInk screens are opaque, a backlight is like pointing a flashlight at a wall to try to illuminate the room on the other side of the wall. On the other hand, a frontlight puts another layer (the "light guide") in front of the screen that in theory negatively impacts contrast.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
what would be the point of having no backlight, in 2021 though? does "not having" a backlight make e-ink screens better or something else? I am just curious, do not have much knowledge on the subject btw.
Having a built in front/side light adds another layer to the "screen".

And, eink screens do not have backlights. The screens are opaque, so light cannot shine through.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
junioryoudare

Btw, I do have only one problem with the current existing kindle lineup, which happens to be the slow processors. I would very much like amazon to use a little bit more powerful processors to improve the response type of the screen and opening/closing times of the books and other documents.

When trying to read improperly formatted texts, kindle devices seem to fall short honestly.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
When trying to read improperly formatted texts, kindle devices seem to fall short honestly.
Wouldn't the blame fall on the improperly formatted texts?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:55 AM   #11
junioryoudare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Wouldn't the blame fall on the improperly formatted texts?
Of course, it mostly falls on the improperly formatted texts, but how many kindle users know to reformatted or even edit a text file? most of us folks just download something from the net and it might be a badly formatted text. Kobo readers imo have some advantages on these issues over kindle devices. Also a better processor is much needed if amazon is to go through the new update schedule and implement its new ui which is swipe oriented.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Just use IR Touch instead of capacitance and the screen will be clear. And we can have the light as well. Just look at the Kobo Aura H2O and how clear the clear the screen is with IR and the light.

I would never go back to a Reader with no touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No way for me. I don't want an unlit 6'' screen and speakers only add unnecessary weight, I wouldn't use them. Also I prefer the Oasis form factor. And the old KK software was pretty horrible. No custom fonts and no boldness adjustment, and the word spacing was from the Stone Age. Just noooo.

Touch I could do without, but I'm not averse to it, as long as there are page-turn buttons.

My ideal Kindle would be the Oasis with a non-metal back, the screen quality of the Voyage (+ warm light) and the Kobo-like integration with Calibre.
My ideal Reader would be a Kobo Aura H2O form factor, larger capacity battery, plastic backed screen, 7-8" screen, 300DPI, IR Touch, front light, and the warm light allow to change colors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote