Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Please recommend an alternative to Adobe Digital Editions

I have an old iPad mini that I would like to use to read EPUB books from our local library. I went to the app store to download Adobe Digital Editions and all I read were negative reviews. Is there a no-frills app that will work with EPUB books? Thanks in advance.
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrsmith View Post
I have an old iPad mini that I would like to use to read EPUB books from our local library. I went to the app store to download Adobe Digital Editions and all I read were negative reviews. Is there a no-frills app that will work with EPUB books? Thanks in advance.
Try Bluefire Reader
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2021, 02:26 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrsmith View Post
What system is your local library using? Mine uses Overdrive/Libby, and the Libby app works fine on my mini.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which version of iOS is your iPad mini running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As JSWolf points out, your choices might be limited depending on the iOS version you are running. Even apps that used to be available for that version may no longer be available in App Store. Or you might have to use an older version.

I would try Bluefire, however, even if it is an older version.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As JSWolf points out, your choices might be limited depending on the iOS version you are running. Even apps that used to be available for that version may no longer be available in App Store. Or you might have to use an older version.

I would try Bluefire, however, even if it is an older version.
What app can be used depends on which iOS is being used. Until we know, these recommendations may be worthless.

Bluefire Reader requires iOS 13+. Most older iPad Minis are not compatible because they do not run iOS 13 or later.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another alternative would be to strip DRM, which may open up more app choices.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Another alternative would be to strip DRM, which may open up more app choices.
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. It is not legal anywhere to do that.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What app can be used depends on which iOS is being used. Until we know, these recommendations may be worthless.

Bluefire Reader requires iOS 13+. Most older iPad Minis are not compatible because they do not run iOS 13 or later.
That’s for the current version. I think developers can choose to continue to make older versions available for older versions of iOS, and that’s what an older device would be able to get.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. It is not legal anywhere to do that.
The tools do strip DRM from borrowed library books.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The tools do strip DRM from borrowed library books.
From the GitHub FAQ

Quote:
Using the Tools

I can’t get the tools to work on my rented or library ebooks.

The tools are not designed to remove DRM from rented or library ebooks.
In any case, even if they will do it, it is illegal and unethical to do so. And nobody here should be encouraging anyone to do it.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-01-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
My iPad mini 2 has iOS 12.5.2.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll check on the library website regarding Overdrive/Libby. I appreciate the prompt and helpful responses.
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Using the Tools

The tools are not designed to remove DRM from rented or library ebooks.
The wording used to be something like "removal of DRM from library books is not supported", and yet they worked on removing DRM from library books.

tomsem, did you personally try it (removing DRM from an ADE DRM'd library book)?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From the GitHub FAQ

In any case, even if they will do it, it is illegal and unethical to do so. And nobody here should be encouraging anyone to do it.
Stripping DRM on purchased eBooks may be illegal yet we still do it. As for unethical, stripping DRM from library eBooks is only unethical (IMHO) if you do not delete all copies right after finishing reading the eBook.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

And nobody here should be encouraging anyone to do it.
In case people missed this post, from a moderator,

Quote:
MobileRead's official position is that we have no objection to converting library files for personal use, assuming the user needs to make the files compatible with certain devices, and in the assurance that the books are read in a timely manner and not shared.

That said, members should be aware that this position is not shared by the Calibre developers nor the developers of the de-DRM tools, or some members for that matter, so help might be in short supply. Members also need to be very careful about how they couch requests and intentions, to make sure they don't cross the line. Anything that smacks of commercial piracy or copyright violation will not be tolerated