Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
melissasusan
melissasusan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
CC Not Opening Files on Nook (Unsupported Mime Type)

I hadn't used my Nook in about a week, but I tried to open a book and it wouldn't. It told me that it was an unsupported Mime Type. I tried to open the last book I had read on my Nook about two weeks ago. I received the same error.

I went into Calibre, double checked that the book opened on my computer, then resent both books to my device. Neither of these things worked. Some books are still opening fine, but a lot of them aren't.

I hadn't changed a single thing, and some of the books I'm trying to open have been in my library for years. I'm a little baffled, and unsure if it's a CC problem or an issue with my ereader.
melissasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
melissasusan

Follow-up:

It looks like CC is trying to open the book from a folder where the ebooks have never been stored. I never messed with any settings -- they've always been located in the default CC folder, but CC is telling me the file that's trying to be opened is in a folder where I would normally sideload my books to read pull from the Nook library.

If I take the epub file and put it in that folder, I can open it using the Nook library. It just can't be opened from CC anymore.
Advert
Old 07-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Doctor13
Cosa Nostra Grammatica
Doctor13 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
I'm having the same issue. My ebooks are stored in /storage/emulated/0/Calibre_Companion/; when I try to open with Nook reader it's looking in /storage/emulated/0/NOOK/copy/. Cool Reader is looking for /external_files/emulated/0/Calibre_Companion/. Just started happening recently. Haven't found a solution anywhere. Anyone have a solution for this?
Doctor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Doctor13
Cosa Nostra Grammatica

Unsupported MIME type error

Just yesterday I started getting an "Unsupported MIME type" error anytime I try to open a book from Calibre Companion. According to the error messages, when I try to open with Nook reader it's looking in /storage/emulated/0/NOOK/copy/, while Cool Reader is looking for /external_files/emulated/0/Calibre_Companion/. However, all my books are actually stored in /storage/emulated/0/Calibre_Companion/.

I haven't found a solution anywhere, except to move my files to the folder the reader is looking for, but if I do that, CC won't see them.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
moved from Calibre as this is a CC issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
probably, the app has silently updated, and changed some default settings

quick fix
CC should offer to move the books to /storage/emulated/0/NOOK/copy/ if you go through the CC settings menus and select change download folder
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Combined threads asking the same question
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
No updates have been released to CC.

Team is looking into trending issue.

Last edited by PMrev; 07-23-2020 at 02:16 PM.
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Confirmed it is something changed on the Nook app side.

Investigating further to see how to resolve.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
Doctor13
Cosa Nostra Grammatica

The same thing is happening when trying to open books on Cool Reader. It started at the same time as the Nook issue. The apps are looking in different locations, but neither is the default CC location.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #11
melissasusan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
probably, the app has silently updated, and changed some default settings

quick fix
CC should offer to move the books to /storage/emulated/0/NOOK/copy/ if you go through the CC settings menus and select change download folder
Wanted to follow up -- that I tried this but it still gives me an error. It can now find the file but it still tells me it's an unsupported MIME type.

I've been using ReadEra to replace the reader and it works okay, but the interface leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm hoping the Nook reader can be accessed again in the future.

Glad to come back and find out that others are having this issues too.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
PMrev
Groupie

Hey,

So we are currently working on the issue.

The issue stems from certain updates that Google made on July 1st. This is one of our top bugs but our dev team is making slow progress.

Will update when I have something valuable.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor13 View Post
The same thing is happening when trying to open books on Cool Reader. It started at the same time as the Nook issue. The apps are looking in different locations, but neither is the default CC location.
Our latest release should now have fixed the CoolReader issue.

Still working on the Nook issue.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Our latest release should now have fixed the CoolReader issue.

Thanks,
Alex
Downloading issue is indeed fixed for me. Opening in CoolReader is a crap shoot though. Smaller books are now OK, but this one, admittedly larger at 78k, fails to load with the error in the screenshot.

CC is able to open it in other reader apps, so I don't post this to bust your chops, but just in case there's something that you might notice amiss. Oddly, CoolReader just issued an update a couple of days ago as well, and still there's issues. :-/

Thank you Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	181464  
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #15
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Downloading issue is indeed fixed for me. Opening in CoolReader is a crap shoot though. Smaller books are now OK, but this one, admittedly larger at 78k, fails to load with the error in the screenshot.

CC is able to open it in other reader apps, so I don't post this to bust your chops, but just in case there's something that you might notice amiss. Oddly, CoolReader just issued an update a couple of days ago as well, and still there's issues. :-/

Thank you Alex.
No this is helpful thank you for reporting it.

Tags
calibre companion, error, mime type