Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Metadata - which fields do you use?

So having discovered how to edit the metadata on my audiobook files more easily (i.e. do it at the start), I'm now wondering how other people organise their files.

In particular when you have an audiobook you have a title, an author (or authors) and a reader (or in some cases a whole cast). Turns out there are different possible metadata fields depending on whether you're using Windows, iTunes or some other program. However what they seem to have in common is they're geared toward music files primarily.

So I'm thinking something like:

Title -> Title
Series -> Album
Author -> Artist
Reader -> Album Artist

However there's also fields like 'composer' (for author?), 'performer' and even 'publisher' that I could use.

What, if anything, do you do?

Last edited by latepaul; 07-09-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missing quotes
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's an interesting question. My audiobooks are in iTunes on a mac. I have them organized by Author, Title, date added and played. In addition, I have a number of series in their own playlist, in series order. On the ios device, in iBooks, I have some of the series in collections manually ordered in series order. I keep hoping that Apple will eventually rationalize this between the two platforms so any work that I do putting audio books in collections and in series order is synced to my other devices. Or that Audible will finally allow playlist and manual ordering.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I use mp3tag to tag all of my audio books. Within the program you can change what tags you want on your audio book. For my tags I have:
Title
Author/Artist
Album (book)
Year
Track (01, 02, 03 this only applies with multiple track books obviously)
Genre (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
Series
Series Number (where it falls in series)
Narrator
Synopsis
Cover Image

But, I just keep my books in folders according to author name. I don't use iTunes or any other program for my audio books. Maybe one of these days I'll find the perfect one to use!

Hope this helps.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote