Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #616
Flutteryshy
Flutteryshy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been having some trouble with MapleRead SE lately. It won't always display an epub file's fonts. I can't find out when it will or won't. I'm reading one particular book. In Calibre's viewer and editing preview, the book looks fine. I'm not doing anything fancy. Just a font for the chapter name and first letter. I tried it on iBooks on the same iPad I use MR on and it looks fine, and on my phone in iBooks. I bug checked in Calibre and ran it through a few online validators. Fine. Tried other epubs with different fonts. Fine. It's just this one book.

Well, it's not just this one book. I've noticed lately if a book's files say like "body class="calibre" and calibre is defined as having ... let's say adobe garamond, it won't actually display AG in each p class in the book unless I declare AG in each p class. But not always. Sometimes.

So it's two problems.

One is minor, in that a general body declaration doesn't always work but I can work around that by defining a font in each item that needs it in the css. Minor annoyance, but fixable and also new.

The other is this one epub file, which looks fine everywhere else will NOT show embedded fonts, be they h, p, span, whatever. It works on other devices and apps and other epubs with fonts work in my MR. So there is something about *this* file that MR hates. And if I have to do a weird workaround like I have to for the body class, that's fine. But I can't figure out what it is.

Any ideas? Does OTF vs TTF matter? That's the only thing I can think of. I might just try to make a new book in calibre and copy/paste/import parts of the old book into the new one as a test, but that's tedious. I don't really care too much that this crappy book I will probably never reread again doesn't display properly, but it's something I'm coming across more and more and I want to figure out how to identify something that is buggy but doesn't trigger bug checks.
Flutteryshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #617
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Does anyone know why it is necessary to click "Edit", then scan for OPDS servers, then click "Edit" again to see the OPDS servers? This behaviour seems redundant where there could simply be the scan button instead of having to click on Edit twice.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #618
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
I've recently started reading on my iPad mini5 and am trying various apps. Mapleread in Modern Book format looks great except I can't figure out how to change the size of the header and footer type. I've searched! Is it possible?
Thanks!
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #619
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
Mapleread forum?

I decided to use my new iPad mini for book reading instead of dedicated reading hardware (Kindle). After noting that Marvin had not been updated for 4 years, I have been using Mapelread. So far pretty positive.

Is there a forum (on mobileread or somewhere else) where Mapleread users congregate?? So far I can't find.
thx,

mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #620
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Don’t know about Mapleread… they should have their own website… but don’t give up on Marvin because it hasn’t been updated in awhile… not necessary to “update” something that just works - “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #621
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Don’t know about Mapleread… they should have their own website… but don’t give up on Marvin because it hasn’t been updated in awhile… not necessary to “update” something that just works - “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Given the rapid change of everything in the iphone/ipad space - - hw, os, security, privacy, etc.... - - an app not updated for 4 years has been abandoned by its owner. Not something I would pay for today.

I think there should be a Mapleread forum... If I could figure out the best place to suggest I would do so...

mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #622
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_h View Post
Given the rapid change of everything in the iphone/ipad space - - hw, os, security, privacy, etc.... - - an app not updated for 4 years has been abandoned by its owner. Not something I would pay for today.

I think there should be a Mapleread forum... If I could figure out the best place to suggest I would do so...

You are certainly welcome to your opinion! But none of those issues you mentioned applies to an app that reads epubs. And… Marvin still works…

As for not “paying” for it… you can download and use this fully functional software for free, forever… no subscriptions, no accounts required, no disabled features…

If you want to start a mapleread forum on MR then PM a moderator (anyone with a green colored name) or email the MR admins. Make your case to them and if they agree they can get it setup rather quickly.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 11-29-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #623
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_h View Post

Haven't visited mobileread forums for a while. I'm really surprised to find out that this thread on MapleRead has been moved from Apple Devices forum to Marvin forum, as that MapleRead thread was started on Apple Devices forum in 2016, and has become the most frequently viewed thread on that forum.

What's the point of burying this thread on MapleRead app inside Marvin forum?
Why not moving it back to Apple Devices forum?
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #624
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Haven't visited mobileread forums for a while. I'm really surprised to find out that this thread on MapleRead has been moved from Apple Devices forum to Marvin forum, as that MapleRead thread was started on Apple Devices forum in 2016, and has become the most frequently viewed thread on that forum.

What's the point of burying this thread on MapleRead app inside Marvin forum?
Why not moving it back to Apple Devices forum?
Maybe it is in preparation for dropping the Marvin forum, with MapleRead completely replacing it (or vice versa)?
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #625
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
When I was looking at replacements for iBooks on my iDevices, I looked at Marvin but it has a major flaw that made it DOA for me: no PDF support.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #626
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

That’s not a flaw - That’s a feature!

Old 12-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #627
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
That’s not a flaw - That’s a feature!

Lol, kinda true for me.

My EPUBs are mostly novels and fanfics while my PDFs are mostly technical books and work related documents. Hence, I like having the segregation of EPUB on Marvin and PDF on GoodReader.

With that said, this MapleRead thread really is better suited to the Apple Devices forum. Either that or change the Marvin forum to iOS Reader Apps.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #628
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, kinda true for me.

My EPUBs are mostly novels and fanfics while my PDFs are mostly technical books and work related documents. Hence, I like having the segregation of EPUB on Marvin and PDF on GoodReader.

With that said, this MapleRead thread really is better suited to the Apple Devices forum. Either that or change the Marvin forum to iOS Reader Apps.
You didn't know that you can have both ePub and PDF ebooks separated in MapleRead? You can create collections in it for any subject you desire. I have PDF collections for different subjects and collections for fiction and non-fiction ePubs. Saves having to leave one application and launch another.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #629
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
You didn't know that you can have both ePub and PDF ebooks separated in MapleRead? You can create collections in it for any subject you desire. I have PDF collections for different subjects and collections for fiction and non-fiction ePubs. Saves having to leave one application and launch another.
Meh, I don't like manually creating/updating collections on ereader apps.

Bit OT:
Spoiler:
One of the reasons I like Marvin so much is it has built-in filtering based on authors, series, publisher and subjects/tags EPUB metadata. I manage/fix the metadata/tags with Calibre and I can use it for filtering on both Marvin and Moon Reader. No need to create in-app only collections that can disappear into the ether if the app stops being supported or that requires its own subscription services to sync on multiple devices. Calibre master plus ereader app/device slave works best for me.

Another thing, I don't know how decent PDF markup is on MapleRead but on GoodReader, it's really good. GoodReader also allows bidirectional sync with Dropbox (amongst others) so any annotations I make on the iPad+Apple Pencil are easily copied to my PCs.

For my use-case, EPUB = personal consumption, PDF = work/productivity so I actually do have different requirements for the apps used.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #630
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Why is this in the Marvin forum, may I ask?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mapleread