Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
kutusov
Enthusiast
kutusov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro; Kobo Libra 2
How is support for this brand?

I'm contemplating the P78 but no website kind of worries me.

I've also stumbled upon a thread here about the Mars not booting up after a prolonged period of not being used. That was sorted by a member but that doesn't fill me with confidence either.

So how is it to live with a Boyue?
kutusov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:55 AM   #2
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
From what I can ascertain the support is non-existent, the instruction manuals appear to be written by someone who is not a native English speaker and has no knowledge of everyday usage thus rendering the instructions almost incomprehensible. That having been said the device is rather good as a reader provided you are prepared to muddle through.

I am referring to the Likebook P10 which is a very good eReader and possibly a good note taker, but I have not tried the note taking section as the instructions are daunting in their incomprehensibility.
Probably a translation problem
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:32 AM   #3
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
How things are with a Boyue rather depends upon your experience with Android devices and your expectations. I bought an Alita and the first worry was the order via Ali-Express which did go OK. As said the manual and support are really minimal plus the level of English isn't great. There's support on here but it hasn't been very friendly from the main contributor to Boyue threads. I got into a mess right from the start and spent a couple of weeks floundering with the Alita. Note taking seemed a brilliant idea but I soon got disenchanted with that. As for using it to surf the web its performance is a joke compared to an iPad. It cost me a lot of money so I use it pretty well exclusively for reading books. Updating the OS to 8.1 terrified me but I did it. Actually for my purposes it has made no appreciable difference as have the updates that are periodically available. If you love tinkering with such devices you are in for a treat but although using it regularly I would have preferred to have not bought it. My Kindle does a good job but is languishing on a shelf.

Last edited by bazz2004; 06-23-2021 at 02:34 AM.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
kutusov
Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I do have Android phones since the first Galaxy and I did tinker with the LG G2 back in the day but just by following walkthroughs. Not really looking for something like that, in fact I'm pretty much set in replacing my Windows PC and Android phone for Apple stuff once both start to become obsolete...
Old 06-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Mars I have is fine. Some Android apps work quite well, some are inexplicably ghastly.
The stock ereader is great for PDFs.
It's had two updates since I got it a few months ago from Germany, with Android 8.x I've had none on any regular Android device in more than 6 years and no support from Lenovo, Alcatel or Sony.
I've had no sensible support from Kobo or Amazon with their ereaders, good support HERE!
My S/H Sony PRS350 was long past Sony support but there is support here. I got one update as the FW was original.
I've actually avoided recent updates on one Kobo and instead update my older one.

It was simple to install the KOReader APK via the built in browser on the Mars. Their "app store" version was out of date.

The best gadgets don't need updates or vendor support. But Boyue do seem to fix bugs and shortcomings and do updates.

There is some support from expert users here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
kutusov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's had two updates since I got it a few months ago from Germany, with Android 8.x I've had none on any regular Android device in more than 6 years and no support from Lenovo, Alcatel or Sony.
That's a good point, actually...

BTW, the inkBOOK Focus is the same device with a different brand and chassis, no?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
DTHKZR
DTHKZR began at the beginning.

Device: LikeBook MARS
I got a Mars and as far the device goes, it's fine, i have a year and half using it daily without requiring suport (Hardware or Software), however it's seemingly unexistent on english and even less on spanish (my primary language). I bought the device knowing this, i don't cared because i have some experience with android (Rooting, installing custom roms, sideloading apps, etc) and it was cheap. Upgrading to android 8.1 was (mostly) painless following the provided guide.
DTHKZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
c3auto
c3auto began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Onyx M92
My Boyue device is bricked. I have not used it all that much.

I will let you know.
I will contact both the seller in Europe and the manufacturer and see if they offer any help
c3auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3auto View Post
My Boyue device is bricked. I have not used it all that much.
Describe your problem at likebook@boyue.com
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote