----N1 - Name
----N2 - Name
-Series Name 2
----N1 - Name
----N2 - Name
----N3 - Name
----N4 - Name
...etc

I tried to import it into calibre, it didn't really work out, nothing was recognised, in any case, it was unuseasble and would require me hours of work reoganising it.

It there any way, calibre can just take this as is ? Let's say I would make sure that every comic book file name (most of them cbr, cbr, or zip) contains the series name in it. Could it work ? so that at least I can easily get the series by series name in calibre and only change the author ?

Cheers for any help one could provide.
wisbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot change how Calibre organizes your eBooks. But you don't need to. You use the GUI to organize how you see your content. It's really very easy. I used to organize my eBooks in directories similar to how you do it. Now I find doing it your way a hassle. Calibre makes organizing eBooks so much easier. Don't worry about how the directories are organized as you hardly ever see them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The question seems to about how to get calibre to recognize book metadata from the existing file names. This is highly configurable. See Guessing metadata from file names to get started.

As JSWolf pointed out once a book is added calibre will copy it to its own folders using its own file naming convention that cannot be configured.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A sideways way to GET metadata if it does not exist inside the book:
Look at the GetFileName Plugin. It stores the Path? + filename. during import. Then you can use the Bulk Metadata edit to parce that and populate additional fields (REGEX use experience recommended)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The question seems to about how to get calibre to recognize book metadata from the existing file names. This is highly configurable. See Guessing metadata from file names to get started.

As JSWolf pointed out once a book is added calibre will copy it to its own folders using its own file naming convention that cannot be configured.
I know this can be a sore subject but if a lot of these eBooks don't have proper metadata, where did they come from?

And even if they are legit and don't have proper metadata, you can fix that with the Calibre editor as long as they are either ePub or KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And even if they are legit and don't have proper metadata, you can fix that with the Calibre editor as long as they are either ePub or KF8.
The OP stated that these are comics in cbr, cbz, and zip format. Those typically don't have any sort of metadata within the file, only images.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this can be a sore subject but if a lot of these eBooks don't have proper metadata, where did they come from?

From my experience, from a legitimate store. Most of the books I have gotten from Kobo and Amazon have little metadata, or it is terrible. And as the OP mentioned comics, I have bought a couple of comic bundles for members of my family, and the file names were pretty useless. I fixed the file names to have the title before adding them to calibre.

@wisbit: As @theducks said, the GetFileName Plugin can put the full path of the file into custom columns and then you can the search-and-replace to set the correct details. But, I would probably use a file renamer, or script, to change the file names to include the appropriate details and then add the renamed file to calibre. @jhowell pointed to the way to get the metadata from the file names. It cannot use the directory name, hence the rename is needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
wisbit
wisbit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From my experience, from a legitimate store. Most of the books I have gotten from Kobo and Amazon have little metadata, or it is terrible. And as the OP mentioned comics, I have bought a couple of comic bundles for members of my family, and the file names were pretty useless. I fixed the file names to have the title before adding them to calibre.

@wisbit: As @theducks said, the GetFileName Plugin can put the full path of the file into custom columns and then you can the search-and-replace to set the correct details. But, I would probably use a file renamer, or script, to change the file names to include the appropriate details and then add the renamed file to calibre. @jhowell pointed to the way to get the metadata from the file names. It cannot use the directory name, hence the rename is needed.

Cheers that's what I ended up doing, I made a little script to rename files so that it would follow the "add books" read metadata from filename guidelines.
It kinda worked, more or less.
Now the idea was that once it's done, I would be able to download more easily metadata and covers online. but so far it doesn't work.
I get a feeling that the metadata and cover finder only searches for the name of the book ...
My comics have no author, because honestly, nobody cares much, it's mainly series name and album names. I made another thread on this
--> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=335630

we'll see.
wisbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #9
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
MFI

The MFI Media File Importer plugin can easily do that.

That type of thing was one of its design goals.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic, import, library