Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #18016
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've finished Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and I give it a thumbs up. Very good.
I just finished Kindred, also, and I heartily agree with this endorsement.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #18017
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I just finished Kindred, also, and I heartily agree with this endorsement.
I really liked the essay at the end of the book about Kindred and Butler. It was very insightful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #18018
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
I'm reading The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #18019
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?", Agatha Christie's 20th book, originally published in 1934. This is one of her "standalone" novels, in which the protagonist, as is usual with these books, is an independent young woman (in the case of this book, Lady Frances Derwent), with a "sidekick" of a loyal and courageous, but not terribly intelligent, young man.

The plot of the book: Bobby Jones (the not-very-intelligent young man already mentioned) is playing golf when he comes across a dying man who has apparently fallen from a cliff. Before he dies, the man asks the cryptic question, "Why didn't they ask Evans?", and then promptly expires. Soon after, an attempt is made on Bobby's own life, and he and his childhood friend Frankie (Lady Frances Derwent) get involved in an exciting chain of events.

This is one of Christie's half-thriller, half detective-story, novels. It's certainly not her best work, but it's a cracking good story and well worth reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #18020
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Good, quick read as expected. Odd is very droll which cracks me up some times.

Next up is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I have heard good things about this, but it is one of the longer books I have read recently. I was a little hesitant to start something this long since I have been enjoying the shorter (3-400 page) books recently and I am worried about the length of the book club selection for November.
It's a strange kind of book. I found myself completely intrigued and you keep reading, but you can't quite put your finger on exactly why you keep reading. The story is disjointed at times and just seems to fade out towards the end.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #18021
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
It's a strange kind of book. I found myself completely intrigued and you keep reading, but you can't quite put your finger on exactly why you keep reading. The story is disjointed at times and just seems to fade out towards the end.
"Cryptonomicon" is one of the very few books I've ever given up on. I read about a quarter of it, but found it tedious in the extreme.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #18022
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Next up is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I have heard good things about this, but it is one of the longer books I have read recently. I was a little hesitant to start something this long since I have been enjoying the shorter (3-400 page) books recently and I am worried about the length of the book club selection for November.
I just finished Snow Crash, also by Neal Stephenson, and enjoyed his wit and humour immensely. Cryptonomicon is rated even higher on Goodreads, so it automatically went onto my TBR list. Please let us know what you thought of it!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #18023
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Cryptonomicon" is one of the very few books I've ever given up on. I read about a quarter of it, but found it tedious in the extreme.
I must admit that there were moments I thought of giving up and then after a day or so I returned. I still don't know why.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #18024
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finally finished Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan. It was a long book, but a great one!!! I can not recommend this fantasy series enough. Do give it a try, you will not regret it.

After such a big book, I need a quick, easy read. So I have decided to read a romance novel. Stern by Brenda Jackson.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #18025
juubee
pink`d
juubee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Willing Captive by Bella Aurora

chick-lit but the plot is new to me
juubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #18026
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
You aren't helping me be optimistic about this. I am only 60 pages in and am enjoying it quite a bit. I do see oiur point about not being able to put your finger on what is so intriguing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I hope it doesn't get to that. I REALLY don't like abandoning books. So far so good though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #18027
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
You aren't helping me be optimistic about this. I am only 60 pages in and am enjoying it quite a bit. I do see oiur point about not being able to put your finger on what is so intriguing though.
Well, in the end I did enjoy reading it. So hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #18028
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Deep Wizardry (New Millennium Edition) by Diane Duane. I've just bought this as part of the nine-volume set now available.
Good story. The updating is mild. When originally written, commercial whaling hadn't been banned. I thought that this would be a problem in the book, and was surprised to see the whaling incident retained. So I read up on it. It seems that although there's a "commercial" ban, whales are still being hunted in the Atlantic.

Next up: The Man Who Sold the Moon/Orphans in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein. A Baen omnibus edition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #18029
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Man Who Sold the Moon/Orphans in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein. A Baen omnibus edition.
Finished the first part. A brilliant collection of stories. "The Man Who Sold the Moon" is just wonderful.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #18030
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I just finished Snow Crash, also by Neal Stephenson, and enjoyed his wit and humour immensely. Cryptonomicon is rated even higher on Goodreads, so it automatically went onto my TBR list. Please let us know what you thought of it!
Part of the problem I've found with Goodreads is that if a book is highly anticipated (regardless of how good it is), it gets highly rated before it's even released. As to how many that go back and change the rating to what they truly believe after reading or actually read the book, I have no idea. some books are rated between 4-5 stars and it's not even out and that's by a fair number of people.

I've said before that this was not the way to do things, but the staff don't care that this can screw the stats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote