Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
mike_mja
mike_mja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Exporting annotated Kindle2 documents to PDF?

Hi,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't see an answer in other threads. Here's the scoop:

I have a Kindle2. I'd like to be able to transfer my own PDFs (no DRM) onto the Kindle2, annotate them as AZW files (highlight text, add notes) and then get the annotated AZW file off the Kindle2 and convert it back to a PDF complete with all the various annotations. Essentially, I'd like this to be a big loop:

PDF --> AZW --> annotated AZW on Kindle --> annotated PDF on laptop

I'd like to keep all the annotations associated with the text, no matter whether it's in AZW or PDF formats.

I know I can get the 'My Clippings' file off the Kindle and can then extract the highlighted text and notes in a .txt file but what I really want is to keep the PDF with annotations (notes and highlights) intact and in-context.

I hope this makes sense -- any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-- Mike.
mike_mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's possible. Since the annotations are in a separate file, there is no way to automatically merge them.

The only way I can think of would require you to carefully sew the two pieces together which might drive you crazy. You would have to rebuild you pdf by taking the original, reprinting it to pdf in pieces:

original pdf page
annotated note page
original pdf page
original pdf page
original pdf page
annotated note page
and so on, and so on, and so on

If it's a pdf with few annotations, it might not be so bad but if you have a lot... crazy time!

There are those (like HarryT), who could probably instruct you on how to build a book with your annotations as footnotes. A book would be easier to adapt and update than a pdf (I think).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
annotation, azw, kindle2, pdf conversion